Author Topic: Club Culture  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Club Culture
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Culture
Sydney Swans  :thumbsup

And they didn't grow their's overnight either.

They have had it for as long as we have had a poor culture.."The Bloods"....

So why couldn't we adopt the same culture when they did, or two years ago, or last year, or this year????

We did start 2 years ago WAT but Rome wasn't built in a day, you can't just flick a switch and say "culture - on".

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Nice constructive points, especially talking about identification of why we are falling over and the overall worry of why it is a continuing problem, especially over such a long period.

Are we following our most famous mantra

"...THE FIGHTING FURY, ...IF WE'RE BEHIND....WE'LL FIGHT AND FIGHT AND WIN....WE'LL NEVER WEAKEN 'TILL THE FINAL SIREN SOUNDS....STRONG AND WE'RE BOLD..."

This is our business plan, the best song in the AFL, are we living up to it?

I am a realist, we are a long way away from a flag, but I can see we are on the right track, but in the meantime, all i ask is that we show fury, fight and boldness.

Is this in our current culture??

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
Nice constructive points, especially talking about identification of why we are falling over and the overall worry of why it is a continuing problem, especially over such a long period.

Are we following our most famous mantra

"...THE FIGHTING FURY, ...IF WE'RE BEHIND....WE'LL FIGHT AND FIGHT AND WIN....WE'LL NEVER WEAKEN 'TILL THE FINAL SIREN SOUNDS....STRONG AND WE'RE BOLD..."

This is our business plan, the best song in the AFL, are we living up to it?

I am a realist, we are a long way away from a flag, but I can see we are on the right track, but in the meantime, all i ask is that we show fury, fight and boldness.

Is this in our current culture??

Good post MOL, I don't think it is ingrained in our culture as yet but I believe it they are working at it and as with all things substantial and new, it's a work in progress.  And you have nailed it by identifying what we need to stand for in the words to our song.   :clapping

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
Culture

I wouldn't be putting up the Sydney Swans as a model of what "culture" should be. I haven't forgotten the HUGE leg-up that the AFL handed this mob to ensure success in the otherwise indifferent Sydney market. First there was the fact that Tony Lockett was all ready to sign on the dotted line at Richmond, before the AFL poured cold water on that deal. And who can forget Barry Hall being eligible to play in their Premiership win, despite belting a bloke the week before?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »
Culture

So why couldn't we adopt the same culture when they did, or two years ago, or last year, or this year????

We did start 2 years ago WAT but Rome wasn't built in a day, you can't just flick a switch and say "culture - on".

How come Hird did it, old mate at the Crows has done it, Longmire has reinvented it and kept it going, mate have we laid a cobblestone yet... ;)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
Culture

How come Hird did it, old mate at the Crows has done it, Longmire has reinvented it and kept it going, mate have we laid a cobblestone yet... ;)

Many more than you give them credit for but you will just have to wait a while longer to see the path being laid.  And I'm not going to bore the group by going on ad nauseum about the impossibility of comparison between your examples and our starting point - let's just agree to disagree on it.   :thumbsup 

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
Culture is the biggest issue that's never been fixed in 30 years.

It shouldve been the first thing addressed by any coach that walks in but all have failed this far.

As Richmond supporters we have a deep seated fear that no one can deny.
 The fear that we will lose the big blockbuster game & not just lose but get thrashed.
 The fear that we will lose the crunch game.
 the fear that we will lose the game we "should" win.
 The fear that we will finish 9th.
The question is why are we all nervous when these games roll around year after year?

Because regardless of the coach or the players or the administration we know that our history over this last 30 years more times than not we've failed.

Sydney were a basket case but someone identified something wrong and fixed it. Now they play finals consistantly. Many write them off but they keep on performing. They have many players from other teams traded to them but those players become better.

Collingwood won their second wooden spoon in 1999. Mick & Eddie came in 2000 identified the problems and they were playing in a grand final in 2002 & 2003.

Essendon continue to make finals consistantly. As much as so many bombers people didn't like knights they still made finals and will again this year with more injuries than any other team.

What do these teams have? The secret ingredient that gets them over the line. The one thing that can regardless of the circumstances or players or injuries are still competative inba big game, gets them over the line in a crunch game, makes them win the games they should win and gets them into the finals when it seems they don't deserve it?

CULTURE!

These teams have a culture of excellence, culture of winning, culture that demands success.

We only dream of finals, hope of playing finals.
We have a culture of mediocrity.
We have a loser culture.
We don't have a culture that demands excellence.   

Smart post and one of the best I've read

Why doesn't Mr claw explain to me what happened when we had players in his "missing" age group throughout the 80's, 90's and last decade

Il tell him. Different coach different players same result

The day I stop betting against RFC in games like Saturday, is the day in convinced we are removed from this never ending self doubt

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
No such thing as culture. It's all about professional business personsell with sporting nous. Hird and Roos are the best examples. Essendon bit the bullet and got rid of knights because of a business ploy which they now are reaping the benefits on the field
Roos came from Fitzroy  or poohole and look at Sydney they achieved the world under him. He's a successful businessman who settles for nothing less than  perfect. Rfc refuses to go down the same path Carlton is doing the same rubbish with an illiterate president and a wombat brain for a coach
Rfc needs a business group  with set kpi's  and to be ruthless  we have become a social boys club with an ok mentality and apologetic apathetic  belief system
Youth and social workers are designed for people with their lives Ina desperate and ruined state not for businesses
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
Our culture is building. Takes time.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »
another thing that builds culture is going into defend your teammates

when was the last time you saw a RFC player do this????

When Morris was tee boned where was the mateship there. A few years ago remember Bowdon and Brown at the G running away against the pies i think.

Its taken Edwards 6 years to finally show some of this at the footy club. I like what im seeing with the bumping and pushing.

If we want to be taken serious we need to show no club we are affriad of them.

I cant stand jackson as a player and his misused aggression but one thing i cant fault the guy on is he is the first one to bat for his mates

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
Jacko is a true mate you need when at war he's been sadly missed he gives tuck  a chop out
Jacko would make a great coach bc he has nous loyalty courage and business intellect

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
Culture

When did Adelaide have a poo culture? They had a boring game plan. Can't remember the Bombers having a poo culture?

Carlton on the other hand... :shh

10 FLAGS

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Jacko is a true mate you need when at war he's been sadly missed he gives tuck  a chop out
Jacko would make a great coach bc he has nous loyalty courage and business intellect

Your doing a great job of coming across as clueless IMHO  ;D

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
We will continue with the 30 yr plan
You enjoy the status quo
Losing to god coast suns every year
Rabble football club four you mrs intellect

the claw

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »
Culture
you sure its not the simple fact they have about 27 players in the critical 23 plus age group. last time i looked richmond barely had 10 or 12.
they have at least 10 100 gamers  and probably about 12 15 players who have 50 to 99 games. how many do we have.
said at the start of the yr most of their list kpis pointed to top 4. just wasnt sure about their quality still aint.

Of course that matters but we have had that age group of players before under Wallace, spud etc etc and guess what we still didn't have a club that played for each other

When the going get tough at Tiger land everyone crumbles like a sack of poo

Until we adopt the bloods don't flinch don't give up mantra we will continue to struggle year in year out.

We need warriors who will fight to the death for the jumper not prima donna down hill skiers

Week in week out you will only the usual guys like Cotch who believe in that mantra
the simple fact that we have had to cut most of the players that fell into those brackets under wallace says one thing and only one thing.  those players were not good enough.
will say again the only time you will get a winning culture is when you have enough players capable of winning on a regular basis.

we certainly dont we have maybe 15 16 players who are currently up to standard  and thats it. the simple truth is is  WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND WONT BE UNTIL WE MEET THE  KPIS IN REGARDS THE LIST.
LOL CULTURE YOU BLOKES ARE IN CUCKOO LAND.

Whoops sorry caps on. you lot can pretend its culture all you like  but lack of depth  lack of quality, lack of age lack of experience and lack of structure will kill any side in the comp regardless of their culture.
one thing you can all bank on,  without the necesary cattle culture doesnt even count.  without enough playes capable of winning games we will never gain a winning culture regardless of whatever else we do.
you blokes have it wrong its not about culture but about the ABILITY TO WIN ON A CONSISTENT BASIS. We dont have the ability.