Author Topic: Tigers do not deserve the finals: club greats (Age)  (Read 1921 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers do not deserve the finals: club greats (Age)
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »
Tigers do not deserve the finals: club greats
Matt Murnane
The Age
July 16, 2012

RICHMOND'S most recent high-profile former players, Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown, say the Tigers might have blown their chance to play finals this year after losing to Gold Coast, as the discipline of several players and the club's agreement to sell home games came under heavy criticism yesterday.

Richardson and Brown agreed the Tigers did not deserve to play finals this season after squandering a 10-point lead with just 30 seconds to play against the bottom-placed Suns, who recorded their first win in 22 games on Saturday night.

The Tigers would have been equal on points with eighth-placed St Kilda had they won the game in Cairns, but instead, Karmichael Hunt's after-the-siren match-winner has put now 11th-placed Richmond one game behind the Saints, North Melbourne and Fremantle in the race for spots in the lower half of the top eight.

It was the second time Richmond has lost to Gold Coast after selling a home game, and the Tigers still have one year left on their three-year deal to play one home fixture a season in Cairns - for which the club makes about $500,000 for every game played at the venue.

The Tigers also lost to Port Adelaide in round 10 last year after selling another home game to play in Darwin, but Richardson said the club's policy of selling matches was not the issue.

''When you are playing a team that hasn't won for 12 months and you have seven wins and are pushing for the top eight, the venue is irrelevant. You should be able to win that game.''

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick was shattered after the two-point loss, and Brown said the defeat had cost the team the opportunity to break the club's decade-long finals drought.

''I don't t know if they can make the finals now. They've still got a pretty good run; they've got to beat North Melbourne and Carlton on the way home,'' Brown said on The Sunday Footy Show yesterday. ''I hate to say it has cost them a finals berth but it looks like it might have.''

Former Richmond player and coaching legend Mick Malthouse said it was ''disgraceful'' that Richmond had to sell home games to help pay off club debt. He said the effect of travelling and playing in Cairns on the players could lag for several weeks.

Richmond went to ground yesterday, with several key club officials failing to return calls.

The Tigers were without one of their best players, dynamic midfielder Dustin Martin, due to a club-imposed two-game suspension for sleeping in and missing a training session after mixing alcohol with sleeping tablets the night before.

Midfielder Daniel Jackson was also out due to suspension, as was hard-nut Matt White, and Tigers supporters and commentators vented their frustration yesterday at a perceived lack of discipline within the playing group.

Richardson defended the club's suspension of Martin, but conceded the 21-year-old would be feeling ''horrible'' knowing he had ''robbed'' his teammates.

''They are trying to create a culture of excellence, the leadership group … I think they wanted [Martin] suspended for longer,'' he said on 3AW. ''Will it have an impact on Dustin Martin? Yes, it will. I think he would be sitting there today thinking to himself, 'If I had have played, we probably would have won that game'.

''I reckon he will make an impact in the next few weeks and show that he has missed it and that he is sorry for what he has done and robbed the fans and his teammates.''

Richmond was also missing several other key players, including Nathan Foley and Jake King.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-do-not-deserve-the-finals-club-greats-20120715-224ac.html#ixzz20hUe4xbt

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers do not deserve the finals: club greats (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
"as the discipline of several players"....Again

"Richardson and Brown agreed the Tigers did not deserve to play finals".........They can see it

"Richmond went to ground yesterday, with several key club officials failing to return calls"........Typical weak culture again

"and Tigers supporters and commentators vented their frustration yesterday at a perceived lack of discipline within the playing group"........Nothing new

"''They are trying to create a culture of excellence, the leadership group … I think they wanted [Martin] suspended for longer,'' he said on 3AW. ''Will it have an impact on Dustin Martin? Yes, it will. I think he would be sitting there today thinking to himself, 'If I had have played, we probably would have won that game".........Yep blame one player, actually highlights our lack of depth.

We should be playing finals but I agree we don't deserve it and the higher we finish on the ladder will not be a true indication of where we actually are IMO....

Maybe next year then, again!!

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »
Nathan Brown a club great ::)

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
Two wizards stating the bleating obvious
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

10 FLAGS

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »
why are our club administrators in hiding? they should face the music and if they dont want to they should send out RFCOfficial to do the talking  :lol ;D

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
why are our club administrators in hiding? they should face the music and if they dont want to they should send out RFCOfficial to do the talking  :lol ;D

tying up the MM deal :shh

Offline rfctigers05

• Premiership Captain
  • Like the Tigers of Old
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:06:55 PM »
Their laptops have had a meltdown
Rfc website is quiet on the propaganda this week
Get your knives ready rfc it's July time
Truly my dear in this world a square is not round-Don Giovanni

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
as most predicted pre season but
hey some got caught up in it all..

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »
The next fortnight will answer this question, as it would even had we won on sat night, beat NM and the Blues and of course we are the genuine article....right now we can lay just as legit plans as any other team that has designs on a spot in lower breaches of 8, ffs weve beaten two top. 4 sides
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Another bs article designed to inflame the masses
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
We're these RFC greats spruiking us after the St Kilda game.

Garbage article.

These same blokes will be scratching their aggots in round 23.