Author Topic: Why Richmond should not make Trent Cotchin captain in 2013 (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why Richmond should not make Trent Cotchin captain in 2013 (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »

I get the feeling this isn't the only website you post on. Give you a quick tip, people on here aren't into the whole "you don't know how the club works" attitude. I've quoted the bits I disagree with.....

No, I don't think "most" of us were hoping Newman would do the job. Actually, I reckon 80% of the regulars here were hoping he'd hand it over to Chimp. Personally I reckon Chris did ok but we're moving forward now and Chimp is clearly a guy that can captain for 10 years. One of the best players in the comp is Trent and he's got leadership written all over him

Never met Jackson although I'm sure he's a nice bloke and intelligent as well. Again, I reckon a good 80% (at least) of this website would prefer it if Jacko was not in the leadership group. How many times has this guy been suspended in the last 3 years? How many times has he given away stupid free kicks like the one against Westhoff? Too many times. You could forgive him if he played like Steve Johnson but Daniel is an average player. He had a good patch this year but most of 2012 was the same old same old. Why not drop him from the leadership group and bring in Maric or Foley? What does Jackson provide that these blokes can't?
And what is your role within the club since you know the inner workings? Are you a coterie member? Does an assistant coach tell you that Daniel Jackson does an important role every week whether that be tagging Watson or Swan or maybe even playing as a defensive half forward? There is a coterie member on this website but I don't think he buys into everything that the coaches/players tell him because I know he doesn't rate Jacko at all  ;D

:bow
Not disagreeing Coach but does anyone think people who are injury prone (Foley) shouldn't be in the leadership group?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
nah, im more inclined to think that blokes who are prone to acts of stupidity that result in unnecessary frees and suspensions should not be in the leadership group.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »
Foley wasn't in the leadership group this year he stood down from it.

And BTW agree Coach a very good post
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
I'm sure most of you were hoping, as I was, that Newman would do it for one more year. Pity, but I can't help but think Newman probably thought this through before stepping down. He did say he wouldn't have if he wasn't confident somebody else could do better.

Oh and btw I don't think many of you must have met Jackson or at least im sure you dont know the inner workings of the club 100%. Damned good bloke, smart and has his head screwed on very well. He has a role at the club (not just on field) and if he doesn't fulfill it then you can be sure he wouldn't be in the leadership group or at RFC at all. most of your harsh opinions are illinformed and presumptuous. Let up a bit.

I get the feeling this isn't the only website you post on. Give you a quick tip, people on here aren't into the whole "you don't know how the club works" attitude. I've quoted the bits I disagree with.....

No, I don't think "most" of us were hoping Newman would do the job. Actually, I reckon 80% of the regulars here were hoping he'd hand it over to Chimp. Personally I reckon Chris did ok but we're moving forward now and Chimp is clearly a guy that can captain for 10 years. One of the best players in the comp is Trent and he's got leadership written all over him

Never met Jackson although I'm sure he's a nice bloke and intelligent as well. Again, I reckon a good 80% (at least) of this website would prefer it if Jacko was not in the leadership group. How many times has this guy been suspended in the last 3 years? How many times has he given away stupid free kicks like the one against Westhoff? Too many times. You could forgive him if he played like Steve Johnson but Daniel is an average player. He had a good patch this year but most of 2012 was the same old same old. Why not drop him from the leadership group and bring in Maric or Foley? What does Jackson provide that these blokes can't?
And what is your role within the club since you know the inner workings? Are you a coterie member? Does an assistant coach tell you that Daniel Jackson does an important role every week whether that be tagging Watson or Swan or maybe even playing as a defensive half forward? There is a coterie member on this website but I don't think he buys into everything that the coaches/players tell him because I know he doesn't rate Jacko at all  ;D

Good post but...

I wish posters would stop thinking they know what the rest of us think.

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »
Both times I did say "I reckon" though. :thumbsup and I think it's pretty clear how many of the regulars rate Jacko's work. Not many ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
Jackson may be a better bloke than father Xmas.

Poor footballer.

I'm sure most of you were hoping, as I was, that Newman would do it for one more year. Pity, but I can't help but think Newman probably thought this through before stepping down. He did say he wouldn't have if he wasn't confident somebody else could do better.

Initially I was worried for Cotchin, after seeing what Melb did to poor Trengove. I thought maybe Deledio should do it, but as mentioned Lids sometimes goes missing and despite being an A-class player he honestly doesn't have the instinctive toughness of guys like Cotch, Tuck and Morris. As for Lids' pride, well he's grown up a lot over the last 2-3 years.

After thinkin it over I'd pick Cotch. The guy is a different breed to Trengove and will excel in the role. Tough guys like Tuck, Jackson and Martin will always have his back, and the rest of the leadership group (Newman especially) will support him mentally you can be assured. Ready to lead? Born ready MF'er!

Oh and btw I don't think many of you must have met Jackson or at least im sure you dont know the inner workings of the club 100%. Damned good bloke, smart and has his head screwed on very well. He has a role at the club (not just on field) and if he doesn't fulfill it then you can be sure he wouldn't be in the leadership group or at RFC at all. most of your harsh opinions are illinformed and presumptuous. Let up a bit.