Author Topic: Tigers-Magpies may revisit season opener  (Read 1099 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers-Magpies may revisit season opener
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:24:59 AM »
Tigers-Magpies may revisit season opener
Caroline Wilson
The Age
June 9, 2006

RICHMOND and Collingwood's feud over the Tigers' 2004 decision to halt the revenue agreement between the two clubs is moving towards a resolution, with the Tigers declaring the resurrection of their season-opening clash as their "No. 1 priority".

Both clubs confirmed this week that they are working towards playing the blockbuster first match of the season from 2007.

Despite Magpie president Eddie McGuire's dig last week at Richmond and the other MCG co-tenants for complaining about the comparative financial strength of the Pies' deal, it is understood that the club is also interested in a Collingwood-Richmond season-opener.

The two clubs still refuse to agree on the exact timing of Richmond's decision to take all the proceeds from the round-one 2004 clash, and while Collingwood maintains the Tigers' hurt only themselves, Richmond claims the previous deal was a poor one for the club because of the lack of return from Collingwood members.

Richmond's decision to pull out of the deal was also influenced by its perilous financial position, but as a result Collingwood changed its season-opening arrangements and the AFL stopped scheduling two Magpies-Tigers games each season.

"The gate-sharing arrangement we had with Collingwood was so unfair we had to change it," March told The Age. "We hope to resurrect our agreement with Collingwood, I've instructed our CEO Steven Wright to talk to their CEO and I understand they are amenable to perhaps amending the arrangement to make it fairer.

"I have made the point there was an inequality in the stadium deal and Eddie put his point of view forward at the presidents' meeting but the reality is the Collingwood and Richmond draw great crowds.

"When we take them on on July 2 you would expect about 80,000, and it seems a shame that the two clubs are not drawn to play each other twice particularly when the priority is to maximise attendances. I understand these things are not simple and cannot always happen but a round-one clash with Collingwood each year is a No. 1 priority for us."

McGuire pointed out at Collingwood's pre-game function last weekend that not only did Richmond pull out of the agreement that led to the two clubs playing each other twice at the MCG each year, but that the Magpies' had achieved their profitable deal at the MCG through initiative, good management and attendances — the club has averaged crowds of more than 50,000 this year.

The AFL has yet to close its deadline on individual club wish lists but March said he expected the league would be sympathetic to a Richmond-Collingwood round-one push and, by extension, two clashes a year between the traditional clubs.

"I must say it is good to see people like Eddie and Kevin Sheedy taking pot shots at Richmond again," said March.

"I suppose it means that people regard us as a legitimate contender. I'm not saying we are back on top, we are just a good average team, but at least we are a contender."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/08/1149359883608.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers-Magpies may revisit season opener
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 04:06:43 AM »
"The gate-sharing arrangement we had with Collingwood was so unfair we had to change it," March told The Age.

A fact Eddie always fails to point out when he has a whinge about us pulling out of that agreement  ::).

Not sure what we'll agree to get a fairer deal that the Pies will agree to. Split the gate-takings 60-40 or whatever over the year's takings from both games to take into account Collingwood's larger reversed seating so that both clubs make the same $$$ from both clashes per year  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:28:40 AM »
lets hope steven wright can work this out with swanny and eddie.

If we play em twice and share the gate it probably means 150k extra to our bottom line.

Very important development indeed!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 06:20:51 PM »
lets hope steven wright can work this out with swanny and eddie.

If we play em twice and share the gate it probably means 150k extra to our bottom line.

Very important development indeed!

As long as we don't have to grovel and listen to Eddie tell us the Pies are the savior of Victorian clubs and are propping up our bottom line  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 08:22:02 PM »
As long as we don't have to grovel and listen to Eddie tell us the Pies are the savior of Victorian clubs and are propping up our bottom line  :sleep.

I look forward to the day when Victorian Clubs start requesting playing Richmond twice a year ;D It will happen

"I must say it is good to see people like Eddie and Kevin Sheedy taking pot shots at Richmond again," said March.

"I suppose it means that people regard us as a legitimate contender. I'm not saying we are back on top, we are just a good average team, but at least we are a contender."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/08/1149359883608.html

:clapping :clapping Love ya work Gazza - a beautiful subtle dig and you are spot on too  :thumbsup

Actually March has been very very good since taking over as President. He actually spoke at the Perth pre-match function last week and attended the post-match function, he seems very comfortable having a drink with the members/supporters  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)