Author Topic: Richmond legend Neville Crowe struggles to remember his children's names (H-Sun)  (Read 782 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond legend Neville Crowe struggles to remember his children's names

Mark Robinson
    October 06, 2012

NEVILLE Crowe has his wit about him, and his humour, but it is sporadic.

The Richmond great has Alzheimer's disease and it has robbed this giant of a man of the ability to do what most take for granted, such as remembering his children's names.

"It's a very, very evil disease," Crowe's wife, Valy, said. "They are like children, and he's my boy."

"They" are Valy's husband and her mother, diagnosed with Alzheimer's a week apart in September last year.

They live together in Burwood, with mum in the cottage at the back, and as Valy shed a tear about the two people she loves most, she said it wasn't about her, or the carers.

Crowe - who had to be rescued last month after tumbling from his bicycle into the Yarra River - courageously wanted to talk about life with Alzhiemer's. The disease mostly affects people aged over 65, and one in four over 85 has dementia.

At 75, Crowe speaks softly and carefully, but his answers don't always relate to the questions.

"It takes everything away from what I was doing with my family, writing, a dozen other things," he said.

"I just struggle with it. It's just trashy sort of stuff. I haven't got the vocabulary I had.

"I get up to go to the pantry or fridge and, by the time I get there, I try to find out what the hell I was going there for.

"I could say hello to this person and within a very short period of time I'm just shaking. I shake because it is there."

Crowe was anxious about doing this interview - "I'm probably a little scared about what was going to be put before me," he said.

Scared? Neville Crowe?

He played 151 games for the Tigers from 1957-67. He was captain, a multiple best-and-fairest winner, president, a Hall of Famer and general scallywag.

He finished work with the Tigers in 2009 after an episode at a luncheon for the club's Bequest Society, which he helped establish and where he was a speaker.

"All of a sudden he just couldn't talk," Valy Crowe said. "He told me, 'I died a million deaths'."

At another luncheon, Crowe's face "just whitened, and what was a minute seemed like two hours".

Valy recalled: "He said, 'Sorry folks, we're all in the same boat. This is what old age does. I hate it'.

"For months after, he kept saying, 'I don't want to be remembered at the Richmond Football Club for not remembering my lines. I want to be remembered for being 'Crowey'.

"It's changed Neville's life dramatically. His words are not as flowing and very often the words are completely the wrong words.

"Neville was the most beautiful writer, wrote exquisitely, but he can't write very much any more."

Alzheimer's can be accompanied by annoyance and aggression.

"But he's a very gentle person with it," Valy said. "I'm very fortunate. There's never an aggression, ever."

Crowe's memory loss pains him. He has seven children and, when asked to name them, he starts slowly.

"We've got Richard, who's just turned 51 about six months ago, and there's Jon ... and that's where the train stops," he said.

"I think I'm being overwhelmed. I'm just not doing this well."

One of his daughters, Isobella, was visiting.

"She's right there in the room with me but I can't think of her name," he said.

Crowe spoke to the Herald Sun to raise awareness of Alzheimer's, to help people understand life choices can be made with the disease.

Valy's choice is to look after her husband and her mother.

If she asks Crowe to set to the table, he will. If she leaves food on the table and asks him to cook pasta sauce, the food is back in the fridge when she gets home. The washing stays in the washing machine. On and on it goes, but the loss of contact hurts the most.

"Just putting his arms around me and telling me he loves me ... I just miss that," Valy said.

People with inquries can contact the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/richmond-legend-neville-crowe-struggles-to-remember-his-childrens-names/story-e6frf9jf-1226489487840

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
You want to know about courage - that article right there personifies it.
Very sad but at the same time quite inspirational for him to speak in those circumstances.
I always thought I'd remember Crowey the most for the Save our Skins campaign but this article will also stay with me.
 :thumbsup Crowey.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
He saved this club during its dark days.  Him n KB. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ch 9 news tomorrow night at 6pm is doing a special report about Neville Crowe.

Ruanaidh

My mother died from the disease. Prior to her dying I was always a supporter of Euthanasia. After seeing the latter stages I have researched techniques and will put these into practice if and when I receive a similar diagnosis. There were periods of happiness particularly when she digressed to a new 'childhood' stage but the victims eventually die of starvation and slow essential organ shut-down. It's a stuffing disgrace that they can't be spared this torture. 

Dubstep Dookie

And becoming more prevalent as health advances ensure our bodies don't break down before our minds do.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
It hits plenty of people in their 60s and 70s and lots of people got to these ages in years gone by without suffering this disease.

type 2 diabetes was once called adult diabetes because it only affected adults, mainly the elderly, but more and more people are suffering from it and at a younger age, even children.

Cancer rates are growing, and again people are getting it younger. It wasnt that long ago that Prostrate cancer was a disease most men died with, not because of, due to it occurring so much later in life. That has definitely changed.

And then there is heart disease (and the made up disease of high cholesterol.)

For all the advances in medicine that keep sick people alive for longer, the incidence of serious disease is actually rising.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lifestyles have changed Al, maybe medicine can keep up with that?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.