Author Topic: Bulldogs president calls for a 3rd boutique stadium in Melbourne (afl site)  (Read 2211 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bulldogs president calls for construction of 'bespoke' stadium in Melbourne

Niall Seewang 
afl.com.au
July 22, 2015 5:55 PM

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon believes the AFL needs a ‘bespoke’ stadium to cater for smaller-drawing games in Melbourne.

Gordon - who also revealed his club made more money out of its round 15 clash against Gold Coast in Cairns than all of its home games combined this year - said a smaller stadium was needed to maximise profits from games that drew between 25,000-30,000 fans.

"I think Melbourne needs a new bespoke stadium which maxes out at 25-30,000 (fans),” he told SEN on Wednesday afternoon.

"The … crowd that you normally get when you (have) the Demons playing the Giants or the Bulldogs playing Freo or whatever, is 25-30,000.

"You can make really good money with a crowd of 25-30,000 people - you just need the right infrastructure."

Gordon was adamant the club’s deal with Etihad Stadium was holding the club back financially. It was a reason why the Dogs chose to play a ‘home’ game against Gold Coast two weeks ago in Cairns, which attracted 9,449 fans.

"We just know it’s a bad deal (at Etihad)," Gordon said.

"We made more money out of playing one game in front of less than 10,000 people in Cairns a couple of weeks ago than all our other home games (this year) put together."

Gordon suggested the construction of a ‘clean’ stadium could boost the Bulldogs’ revenue by "$2-4m a year."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-22/bulldogs-president-calls-for-construction-of-bespoke-stadium-in-melbourne

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
punt rd!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
punt rd!

Holds less than the Whitten Oval these days. I heard Gordon on SEN yesterday and they were saying to bring Whitten Oval back up to AFL standard which means seating for at least 20k people would cost in excess $100k

What we need is stadium like what GWS has - that is fantastic stadium holds 30k folks and has brilliant amenities

TBH - only way to get what Gordon is talking about is to build a new one.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
100k aint much.

but build it at punt rd. Trent and Rance can get their joho mates down and they'll build it in a week

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
100k aint much.

but build it at punt rd. Trent and Rance can get their joho mates down and they'll build it in a week

100k is a typo , 5 bucks a seat , I think not

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Going to Madrid, Roma

The most sexy thing I saw WS punt road oval :shh

It would be amazing for Richmond games vs crap teams like port, freo

Richmond only but  >:(
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
100k aint much.

100k is a typo , 5 bucks a seat , I think not
:snidegrin

No More

more like $100 million cost

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
100k aint much.

Sorry my bad typo

Should read 100 million not thousand  :P :-[

Offline Jonah Vark

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
We need a new small stadium but we also need a new large stadium to stop the MCC dictating the season schedule and stop the overuse of grounds and playing surfaces.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We need a new small stadium but we also need a new large stadium to stop the MCC dictating the season schedule and stop the overuse of grounds and playing surfaces.
That's the original reason why Waverley was built. Problem was, it was built out in woop woop in Melbourne's rainbelt and where there's no proper public transport. Add to that it's 1970s grandstand design was terrible. Successive Victorian governments (which controlled the MCC Trust) then put the final nail in the coffin when they prohibited Waverley's capacity being expanded to larger than the MCG's.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
But where would you put it? Some inner suburb like southbank or port melbpurne. Cost a bucket to buy the land. Maybe St Kilda if you can get it past the yuppies latte sipping pigs filing their nails at the beauty salons there.  The only real choice is where people dont currently.live like Port Melbourne.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
I read a tweet by Adam White (journo who's on RSN radios twice a week) where he suggest the Showgrounds

Actually thought it made sense.

Fantastic public transport, plenty of parking with the old oval that had the old trots track around it mostly still there.

Could work

Also IIRC there was talk in the 1980's of the bombers moving out there before they shifted to the MCG

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
But where would you put it? Some inner suburb like southbank or port melbpurne. Cost a bucket to buy the land. Maybe St Kilda if you can get it past the yuppies latte sipping pigs filing their nails at the beauty salons there.  The only real choice is where people dont currently.live like Port Melbourne.
The talk a few years ago was E-gate just north of Etihad stadium and west of North Melbourne station. Not sure if that is possible now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd