Author Topic: Tiger of old hopes patience pays off as Richmond starts to roar (TassieExaminer)  (Read 1136 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
You've got to love the loyalty of Tiger supporters  :thumbsup.

Tiger of old hopes patience pays off as Richmond starts to roar
By Ben McKay
The Examiner
March 6, 2013

SHEILA Walker knows better than most Richmond fans that patience is needed to follow the Tigers.

Mrs Walker, of Gravelly Beach, last saw her beloved Tigers win in 1947.

That's 66 years without hearing the Richmond song for Mrs Walker - a dry spell that could end in Launceston on Saturday.

Despite the wait, Mrs Walker, 87, was as quick as a flash yesterday remembering her 1940s heroes.

``Merrett, Morris, the Cook twins, Mopsy Fraser  and Dyer,'' Mrs Walker said.

``It always was very crowded, very noisy. We used to dress up in black skirts and gold. Always black and gold.''

Mrs Walker worked at Victoria Barracks after World War II for two years and was a regular at Richmond matches.

This weekend's NAB Cup match against Hawthorn is her first match since and she would dearly love a win.

Granddaughter Nicola Prewer  has bought her nan a ticket for the match, which is expected to draw more than 10,000 people.

This Tiger of old was confident that  Richmond would be a fighting fury in 2013.

``I don't think the flag but they should go further this year,'' Mrs Walker said.

The Tigers last tasted premiership success in 1980 and are expected to improve this year on last year's 12th-place finish.
See your ad here

The club has invited Mrs Walker to a training session tomorrow for a photo with forward Jack Riewoldt.

``I like Jackie,'' Mrs Walker said.

``I liked Matthew Richardson, I like all the Tasmanian ones. Brendon Gale and his brother Michael.'

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1346833/tiger-of-old-hopes-patience-pays-off-as-richmond-starts-to-roar/?cs=12

gerkin greg

Slack old tart needs to get out more

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
be nice she might put on her black and gold mini skirt for ya
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

aye, bless her

hope we have a win and she gets to have a few shandies

Offline Owl