Author Topic: ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget  (Read 803 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
I hope all the diggers have an enjoyable day  :clapping.

My Uncle Stan who is in his late 80s now is going to be in the march today  :).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

Re: ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
 :clapping

I have no surviving relatives anymore unfortunately. My mum's granddad was in the Korean and Vietnam wars, and my nan's uncle served with the 9th Division in Tobruk (he was one of the rats). 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:22:53 PM »
Just got home

Dawn Service, Gun Fire Breakfast

And then I marched for the first time today in the WW1 group to represent my Grandfather and family under the his battalion's banner/flag

Humbling experience

truly honoured
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:21:04 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
Dawn service and then mid morning march/service at Tin Can Bay.  It was exactly the thing that this day espouses - low on polish but high on country, remembrance and gratitude.  My father carries my grandfathers medals from WWI and WWII.  When he passes I will carry his medals and my father's from Vietnam.  When I pass I hope that one of my sons will carry my medals plus his forebears.  Yes WP, it is humbling and it is an honour and we should never ever forget the sacrifice of all those involved - those that never came home, those that came home scarred, those that never went but were just as vital to the overall effort.

And then to balance out the wonderful thing called freedom and security that we fought for and cherish in this country, we should also never forget the lowlifes that spat on our soldiers when they returned from Vietnam or the union scum who refused to load stores and mail for the serving soldiers.  The character of those outstanding Australians is not fit to wipe the floor of a public toilet.

Lest We Forget

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
interesting topic to raise smokey.

I was listening to a bloke on the radio today talk about the aussies who served with the RAF flying lancasters. They were all told that they were expendable and 1/3 never came home yet many that did were labeled Jap dodgers and ostracised as people just had no idea what they were doing.

The way the RSL treated Vietnam Vets originally was pretty poor too. not a real war or some crap was what some of them espoused.

I think the way they were treated by the country in general had a lot to do with the mental health problems so many had when they returned
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI