Author Topic: Time to toughen up, Tiges(The Age)  (Read 1701 times)

tony_montana

Re: Time to toughen up, Tiges(The Age)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
Yes let's revisit all the failures of the last three weeks just to rub salt into the wounds. Harden up - BS. Yes Jack and Lids need to keep fighting their way through games despite though opposition just like Cotch does. Was Cotch entitled to point out that Swan was in space because he wasn't running hard enough the other way - F Yeah. Walls needs to stop being so precious himself.

Was Hardwick entitled to blow off some steam after the loss to Freo because of a blatant terrible umpire decsion that in retrospect cost us the game - of course he was. It wasn't the only reason we lost but he was right to answer the question directly when asked.

This toughen up rubbish is merely words. We are not soft and we are not full of excuses either. I haven't heard anyone from Tigers coming out justifying the loss against Collingwood or Geelong - they were better. I haven't heard Lids making excuses for himself - Dimma said he was blanketed but in turn tagged Mundy out of the game too - that's the truth.

Jack was poor against Freo but turned it around against Geelong. No excuses - just actions. Said he valued the options of the club over the media - smart answer. Sorry Walls your opinion and the medias is not number one.

Where's the article about the Blue telling them to toughen up? I'm glad the bitter bstard is retiring  :veryhappy

stripes, you're a quality poster, love your work but a few days ago at his presser Dimma when was talking about the geelong game and the port game he said "whether last week was due to Geelong being very good or us being well below our best - I suspect it was the latter....". I kind of raised my eyebrow at that one and have noticed this season that it wasnt the first time he's spoken like this. Im not sure if its the coach fiercely sticking up for the team in public or, worryingly, whether our post game evaluations are done with some pretty thick yellow and black glasses on... Hope its not the latter

For the first time, I am starting to have a few doubts creep in about whether we can take the next step, its not the losses so much although the freo one hurt a lot!
Its the style of play, the mindset, the fact players arent drilled like a well oiled machine after 4 preseasons and are still lost on the ground and leaving gaps wide open for good sides to slice us open.
The fact players like jackson, Petterd, Vickery continue to get a game when undeserved
The way Petterd was brought straight into the side after half a preseason when we have Batch, Dea, Ellis and Griff busting a nut for the same position, battling away whilst on the other hand Vlastuin is held back at the behest of the leadership group to "earn his spot" Thats hypocritical BS for mine.
If I was Vlas, batch, Dea or Ellis I'd be a bit peeed. Its not like Petterd is a gun or matchwinner, he's a run of the mill dime a dozen player with plenty of weaknesses.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:15:08 PM by tony_montana »

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
Not once has Dimma made an excuse about us losing except that we didn't do what we should of done when we needed to.  In every case he points out where our players failed to fill in space, pick up players correctly etc, he never states it was because we were poor hard done by darlings, that is mostly us supporters blowing steam and some of it is not without provocation from the fickle, unpredictable and seemingly selective umpiring lately but that really is us not Hardwick, his official line has always been, we lost it from turnovers and stuffing up things we could of controlled.  He and other coaching staff can only instruct so much, once they are on the field, they have to take charge of the situations themselves, that is where on field leadership is important and seemingly lacking atm.  Hopefully it is going to come with maturity and quickly.  Each time we get stung, it is a lesson that they learn, we can only hope.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
Fsir points Tony but I think you have misquoted Dimma there. He made remark very similar to that but in reference to our turnovers. I think it was a fair comment. I reckon our skill errors were largly due to us being off. I don't think the Cats pressure that much better than most sides. They are just highly polished offensively.
If I am mistaken, please show me where you got the quote.

tony_montana

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
Fsir points Tony but I think you have misquoted Dimma there. He made remark very similar to that but in reference to our turnovers. I think it was a fair comment. I reckon our skill errors were largly due to us being off. I don't think the Cats pressure that much better than most sides. They are just highly polished offensively.
If I am mistaken, please show me where you got the quote.

I heard an extract on sen yesterday while in the car. If ive misconstrued the comments and he was making them directly in regards to turnovers only then fair enough.