Author Topic: Brown looks on bright side of life  (Read 1904 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown looks on bright side of life
« on: May 29, 2005, 06:21:14 AM »
Brown looks on bright side of life
29 May 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph and Scot Palmer

"THANK God I'm not dead," . . . that was a shattered Nathan Brown's first reaction as he reached the rooms after suffering his season-ending injury on Friday night.

Brown had surgery early yesterday after snapping the fibula and tibia bones in a horrific collision with Melbourne's Matthew Whelan.

Soon after the incident Brown told Tiger coach Terry Wallace's right-hand man Oberon Pirak he was trying to remain positive.

"Nathan was terrific – as I grabbed his hand I heard him say, `Thank God I'm not dead . . . that's the most important thing'," Pirak said.

"He's always a pretty confident type of fellow."

Brown will remain in hospital until mid-week after successful surgery on his broken right leg at Kew's Vimy House yesterday.

He had a 40cm long rod inserted in the weight-bearing tibia bone, while his fibia was re-aligned.

Tiger surgeon Hayden Morris successfully completed the surgery at 6.30am, with Brown already ruled out for the rest of the year.

Doctors yesterday said the procedure was to stop the bone from moving sideways. In addition, two cross-bolts were inserted as part of the internal fixation method to stop the rod from moving vertically.

After leaving hospital, Brown will have to make sure weight is not put on the leg.

"He is in hospital for a few days to ensure there is no infection and that rules him out for the rest of the year," said Richmond football manager Paul Armstrong.

He said the club had not even considered a return date for Brown.

"All we are concerned about is getting him right, but you wouldn't expect to get him back before the end of the season," he said.

Richmond deputy vice-captain Joel Bowden says the Tigers need to use Brown's injury as the catalyst for a return to form.

Bowden said that while the Tigers were shattered by Brown's injury, they could not afford to use it as an excuse to let their season tail off into mediocrity.

"It might even be the jolt that we need to make sure we really train hard, we work on everything and we put it into place because if you ever think you are going to go out and win, you lose," he said.

"It was a disappointing night, but the true test of the club will be the next couple of weeks."

While coming up against West Coast at the MCG on Saturday without Brown will test the Tigers, their draw sees them in Melbourne for the next six weeks.

After the Eagles, they play the Kangaroos (Telstra Dome), Adelaide (Telstra Dome), Sydney (MCG), Essendon (MCG) and St Kilda (MCG).

Bowden flagged No. 1 draft pick Brett Deledio as a possible replacement for Brown in a forward line set-up that should include Greg Stafford next week.

"Hopefully, a couple of the other small forwards can start kicking multiple goals like he has been doing," he said.

"Brett Deledio will probably get a chance down there and Andrew Krakouer will have a more prominent role.

"I don't believe (that) in footy one player makes the team. Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal took the Lakers to three championships, but in footy it's different.

"Obviously, Browny is very, very talented and has all the smarts on the field, so we will just have to make sure in the next few weeks we structure our side a little differently."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15438018%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Doc Larkins expects Browny to make a full recovery
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 06:23:42 AM »
Six best hope for Brown
29 May 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

SPORTS medicine expert Dr Peter Larkins yesterday said he expected Nathan Brown to make a full recovery from his injury.

Brown had surgery on his broken right leg yesterday morning. The outcome has been described as successful, but he is still expected to be out of action for six months.

"He had a rod put down the centre of the tibia bone, and they put two cross bolts horizontally across the leg to stop the rod moving up and down in a vertical direction, so that stabilises the rod," Larkins said.

"The bone was put back in the correct position, so, it all went successfully in terms of resetting the bones and stabilising it with the metal rod.

"The bone itself should heal over the course of two or three months, and then you've got to get all your strength and coordination back in the leg, and that will take a couple more months. So, it's not unusual for someone to take six months to get over this injury.

"An elite sports person will obviously be very motivated and have intensive therapy, so, I'd expect him to make a full recovery."

Larkins compared the injury to that of Brisbane captain Michael Voss's in 1998.

He said that unlike former Geelong player Jason Snell, who was forced to retire, Brown's injury does not involve the ankle.

"The real secret here is the knee joint and ankle joint probably haven't been injured, so, it's between the two," Larkins said.

"There's more risk in people not making a good recovery when the joint is involved, but, because Nathan didn't involve his ankle and knee, you'd expect him to make a full recovery.

"He's had excellent treatment, had the surgery, the bones have been reset and he's a healthy individual."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15437768%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown urged to take it easy by Jason Snell
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 06:25:40 AM »
Brown urged to take it easy
29 May 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

FORMER Geelong forward Jason Snell, whose career was ended by an ankle injury in 2001, has urged Nathan Brown not to rush back after the Richmond forward broke his right leg on Friday.

Snell fell awkwardly in a marking collision with Melbourne's Alastair Nicholson.

Following complications from a broken right ankle, he never played again.

He had seven operations, and ultimately had his ankle fused, which means he will never run again.

While Brown's leg injury is not considered as serious as that of Snell, the former Cat said Brown should be cautious in his recovery.

"I don't know if I could have done anything differently, but in hindsight maybe – if I didn't try to rush back and get up and running and do the things I did – maybe it would have healed better," he told Triple M.

"I would say that you have to take your time . . . that is the crucial aspect of it."

Brisbane captain Michael Voss maintained his recovery from a broken leg in 1998 was a bigger achievement than winning the 1996 Brownlow Medal.

While Brown faces the prospect of months of painstaking rehabilitation, he can at least use Voss's recovery as inspiration.

Voss suffered a compound fracture in the lower leg in a marking contest against Fremantle in Round 11, 1998.

He was hospital-bound for a week in Perth, but made it back to play 21 games in the following year.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15437762%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Brown making good progress
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:27:15 PM »
Brown making good progress
4:49:11 PM Tue 31 May, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Tiger forward Nathan Brown is recovering well and should be released from hospital on Wednesday or Thursday according to club doctor Greg Hickey.

Brown underwent surgery on his badly broken leg on Saturday and Hickey was confident of a full recovery in the long term.

Twenty-seven year-old Brown will be on crutches for six weeks and should be able to start a light running program by September which will give him a reasonable chance of being fully fit for next year's season-opener.

"We're hopeful that he'd get out there and have a pretty full preseason," Hickey said from the Richmond boardroom on Tuesday.

"Obviously he's got a bit of work ahead of him and I would expect that his preseason's not going to be a normal, uninterrupted preseason but hopefully he can get some good work in prior to Christmas and then push on after Christmas and play at the start of the season."

Hickey also discounted comparisons between Brown's injury and the leg fracture that ended Jason Snell's career explaining that Brown had escaped without any damage to his ankle or knee.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=206477
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Brown looks on bright side of life
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:03:52 PM »
The human body is an incredibly amazing thing - I am sure Browny being the super fit athlete he is will be able to make a full recovery as it was a clean break and did not involve knee or ankle joints. Like someone has mentioned it is just the rebuilding of the muscle once use is restored - another positive here is have you seen the size of the guy's calve muscle - he is close to a freak.

Another thing I heard today was the leg was very sore and giving him grief after the op - This is good news as this shows there is no nerve damage.
I cracked the knuckle at the top of my Tibia in two and somewhere in the process sustained quite extensive nerve damage and to this day 5 years after having a couple of screws put in the leg is only 90% and think it may stay like that now.
So that is more good news - Looking forward too seeing Browny back in the tiger jumper sometime next year.
Until then - Lets get down to business and give the eagles and the doomsayers a bit of a shake up for the rest of this year  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 10:06:17 PM »
Twenty-seven year-old Brown will be on crutches for six weeks and should be able to start a light running program by September which will give him a reasonable chance of being fully fit for next year's season-opener.

It's all looking positive both short and long term.

Although I could have done without the seeing the x-rays of  Browny's leg, the rod and screws on this evening fox footy news ;D

Tuesdays with Tezza wasn't for the weak stomached today :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cisse cited as inspiration for Brown
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 04:10:44 AM »
Cisse cited as inspiration for Brown
By Melissa Ryan
The Age
June 1, 2005

Richmond doctor Greg Hickey has urged Nathan Brown to take heart from the inspirational recovery made by Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse, who broke his leg in an identical fashion to Brown six months ago but last week played in the Champions League victory over AC Milan.

Brown - who is the sixth Richmond player to sustain fractures this year, - is likely to be discharged from hospital today or tomorrow, after having a titanium rod inserted into his tibia.

Hickey said Cisse was a better comparison for Brown than former Cat Jason Snell. Snell's career ended after a compound fracture of the ankle, breaking through the skin, and a broken tibia. Brown's breaks occurred away from joints.

When he is released from hospital, he will be on crutches for six weeks. Brown may move temporarily to Crown Towers hotel for part of his recovery, as his home has many stairs.

Hickey said: "There's a great example of a recent success story with a very similar fracture, the guy called Cisse who played for Liverpool on Thursday morning and won the Champions League and he fractured his tib and fibula, almost identical fracture to Nathan's, on October 30 last year.

"Six months later, he held up the trophy and it's a fantastic story that hopefully Nathan can take some inspiration from.

"If that guy from Liverpool's an example, he played at that level at six-and-a-half months. He'd been playing for a month before that and training before that, so there's no reason that Nathan shouldn't do that.

"He's got a bit of work ahead of him and I expect his pre-season is not going to be a normal uninterrupted pre-season but hopefully he can get some good work in prior to Christmas and then push on after Christmas and play at the start of the season," Hickey said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/05/31/1117305618246.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:38:26 AM »
Does Richmond have access to a hyperbaric chamber?  Wouldn't that help soft tissue injury?

Offline tassie tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
Does Richmond have access to a hyperbaric chamber?  Wouldn't that help soft tissue injury?

We used to but its at Sopud's place!  He is using it as a marital aid...to keep the blood flowing...sorry..am in one of those moods today  pmsl

Ox

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »
lmao @ him moving into crown towers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cisse cited as inspiration for Brown
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »
Richmond doctor Greg Hickey has urged Nathan Brown to take heart from the inspirational recovery made by Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse, who broke his leg in an identical fashion to Brown six months ago but last week played in the Champions League victory over AC Milan.

I saw a pic of Cisse's broken leg on the net  :o. The only difference between Browny's break and Cisse's was Browny's lower leg was bent backwards on impact while Cisse's was bent forward :-X.

Amazing comeback by Cisse though! Hopefully Browny is just as fortunate and makes a full recovery.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd