Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference Sept. 3 / Recent loss to Blues the kick we needed  (Read 588 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VIDEO: Dimma and Cotch's finals media conference today ...

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-09-03/star-tigers-injury-doubt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent loss to Blues the kick we needed: Hardwick
By Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Tuesday, September 3, 2013

BEING exposed defensively by Carlton in round 21 was the timely "kick up the backside" that Richmond needed, says coach Damien Hardwick.

The teams play each other again this Sunday in an elimination final, just three weeks after the Tigers coughed up a comfortable early lead to lose just their seventh game for the season.

They led by five goals at quarter-time only to lose by 10 points after conceding 13 goals to six after the first break.

Hardwick said the players – and coaches - had learned from the hard lessons, and a tough post-mortem of the game, in the weeks following.

"Even though we kicked eight goals in that first quarter, we were defensively not to the standard we needed to be," Hardwick said on Tuesday.

"I think it smoothed over a few cracks and I think our record since then has been pretty good.

"Defensively as a side, it's an area we've improved enormously, not only over the course of 12 months but in three to four years.

"We certainly look forward to taking that into the elimination final this week."

Hardwick said there was no telling if the Blues would employ similar tactics this week but still believed it was handy they had played Mick Malthouse’s team so recently.

"We had some things that didn't go our way that day. Trent [Cotchin] didn't have a great game, Dusty [Martin] didn't have a great game, so we had a lot of players who were down," he said.

"We certainly got a look at what they did and how they put work into those players.

"Whether they come out the same, who knows, but at least we had a look at it some three weeks ago."

Hardwick said he felt captain Trent Cotchin and his leadership team had addressed the lack of finals experience within the group by ensuring a strong preparation.

"It's all about your preparation and your training week that leads into the game," he said.

"It's going to be a great contest; contested ball, a tackle fest, and that's what we're looking forward to.

"We've played Carlton in those sorts of games before and our last three have been decided by under two kicks, so it's probably going to be a similar type of game on the weekend.

"We've just got to make sure we play our best footy, put our head over the ball and tackle as hard as we can and get the ball going our way."

Hardwick said Chris Newman and Jack Riewoldt were "locks" to play but Matt White – who hurt his hamstring on Saturday night against Essendon, was a 50-50 prospect.

Riewoldt, who has had back soreness over the last few weeks as well as being troubled by bone bruising in his knee, which he has had before, will train on Tuesday.

Hardwick said he could have played against the Bombers and was cleared medically but they took the opportunity to rest him ahead of the drought-breaking final.

He also said retiring veteran Shane Tuck was in with a chance of holding his spot and was doing all he could to finish his career in a final.

For Carlton, Chris Judd's availability remains up in the air but Hardwick said he hoped the two-time Brownlow medallist would play so they'd face the Blues at their best.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-03/blue-day-needed-hardwick

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
"It's going to be a great contest; contested ball, a tackle fest

A tackle fest ?  I'll believe that when I see it. Haven't seen it for 23 rounds so far. Won't be holding my breath.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

tony_montana

"It's going to be a great contest; contested ball, a tackle fest

A tackle fest ?  I'll believe that when I see it. Haven't seen it for 23 rounds so far. Won't be holding my breath.
haha why would he say that? Isnt that going against the fibre of the style we play?  :thumbsup at least thats what Ive been told by some fans around here  :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick says Tigers Jack Riewoldt, Chris Newman ready to face Blues; Matt White doubtful

Bruce Matthews
    September 03, 2013

RICHMOND forward Jack Riewoldt will train today and again Thursday to dispel any doubts about their fitness ahead of Sunday's elimination final.

Coach Damien Hardwick said on Tuesday that the decision to leave Riewoldt out of the Round 23 clash against Essendon was to allow the goalkicker to rest his right knee and back soreness so he would be primed to face Carlton at the MCG.

"There's a possibility he could've played last week, he just didn't feel right with the back, he has had a bit of back soreness over the last few weeks," Hardwick said.

"It was worth the punt to have him up and ready for this week. It's really important that we take in fresh, fit players. So, he'll train today and Thursday and put his hand up to play.

"The knee's fine. He has had bone bruising this year, he had it last year. I think it was the first game he has missed in 100, so he's a pretty durable type of character. Trying to keep him out of last week's game was an effort in itself."

On why Riewoldt wasn't rested against the GWS Giants in round 22, Hardwick said: "He was cleared medically to play, so he was available to play. The thing last week was that he just came off with back soreness. He has had an issue there and it was an opportunity to rest him to make certain he's 100 per cent this week."

Matt White, valued for his breakaway pace, is in serious doubt with a hamstring injury.

"He's an important player for us, he has had a great year, a great run and carry player. We'll see how he trains, but at this stage he's probably 50-50," the coach said.

And Hardwick is confident former skipper Chris Newman has overcome an ankle ailment to be selected for his long-awaited first finals appearance.

"He's training today and Thursday and we think he'll be right to play. It is exciting for him, he has played 230-odd games without experiencing a final," the coach said.

"There's no player I've had a greater feel for in the fact that I think he deserves to play. He has been an outstanding contributor to our footy club, a previous captain. No doubt, he has done it tougher than most, and that's why it's just reward that he finally gets his opportunity to play."

Hardwick said the Tigers had learned valuable team and individual player lessons from the narrow defeat to Carlton at the same venue only three weeks ago.

"There's no doubt it's handy. Some things didn't go our way that day. Trent (Cotchin) didn't have a great game, Dusty (Martin) didn't have a great game, a lot of players were down on that day," he said.

"We certainly got a look into how they put work into those players. Whether they come out the same, who knows. But at least we've had a look at it three weeks ago.

"It was a good kick up the backside. Ever though we kicked eight goals in that first quarter, defensively we were not to the standard we needed to be.

"It smoothed over a few cracks. Our record defensively has been pretty good since then. It's an area we've improved enormously, not only in 12 months, but three to four years and we certainly look forward to taking that into a final this week.

"The game is going to be a great game of contested ball, a tackle-fest and that's what we're looking forward to. We've played Carlton in those games before and the last three have been decided by under two kicks, so it's probably going to be a similar type game at the weekend.

"We've got to make sure we put our heads over the ball, tackle as hard as we can and get the ball going our way."

Cotchin and the rest of the leadership group have addressed the lack of finals experience in the Tigers' group by emphasising it's all about preparation leading into the game.

"Naturally, there's going to be a bit of anxiety, but we're just really excited about the opportunity. It's very different to previous years, a couple of jokes were flying around that the boys would've been having a few drinks yesterday," he said.

"In my time at Richmond, you see how passion and proud our supporters are and to be starved off that opportunity for 12 or so years is a long time."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-says-tigers-jack-riewoldt-chris-newman-ready-to-face-blues-matt-white-doubtful/story-fndv8t7m-1226709588645