Author Topic: Wallace has had enough!  (Read 1454 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace has had enough!
« on: June 21, 2005, 04:02:06 AM »
Tiger places under threat
By Melissa Ryan
Whitsundays
The Age
June 21, 2005

Richmond coach Terry Wallace and his players review the Tigers' loss to Adelaide on the first day of their four-day break in Queensland yesterday.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

Richmond coach Terry Wallace last night declared that seven senior positions were up for grabs in the team in the wake of last Saturday night's humiliating 70-point loss to Adelaide.

In a frank match review of the capitulation, which Wallace allowed the media to sit in on, the coach said it was unacceptable that 13 players had had two or fewer possessions in the final quarter. He said that statistic demanded immediate action.

"You can't be competitive in any game of football (with a statistic like that) and we spoke about Hawthorn at half-time and going into the break in the manner that they did, and that was the wildebeest coming out of us, just laying down and dying. We were just non-competitive in the last quarter," Wallace said.

"It couldn't get any worse than that, that's as poor as we've played," he said. "There are seven players whose positions are up for grabs in the senior side this week that can't be guaranteed a spot in the senior side."

Wallace said the Tigers would check with the AFL to see whether a number of their struggling players could line up for Coburg in the VFL this weekend and try to resurrect their form.

The match review took place on the first night of Richmond's four-day mid-season break in Queensland as the Tigers escaped Melbourne's winter.

But even though the Tigers are now on a break, Wallace was not going to let them forget their most recent performance. He described the poor number of inside-50s - the Tigers managed only 34 against Adelaide last week - as "a world-record low".

With June proving to be diabolical as usual for the Tigers, who are winless in that month since 2001, and having lost their past four matches to erode a good start to the year, Wallace was ecstatic at the timing of the four-day break in Queensland.

The playing list - apart from the recuperating Nathan Brown, who has begun weights work - and coaching staff are staying at Laguna Whitsundays, near Proserpine. The resort, owned by businessman David Marriner, sponsors the coach and has funded the trip.

The players held a football clinic for children from local AFL clubs when they reached their destination, and later headed to a beachside training session.

The players will take part in a number of activities to ensure they have a proper break from the rigours of football, before returning to Melbourne on Thursday. Today, they will hold a golf tournament, after which a fishing trip has been planned, and tomorrow, they will see nearby islands from the air.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/20/1119250927556.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wallace has had enough!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 04:51:13 AM »
Not sure how we can realistically make 7 changes given our depth is stretched as it is.

The 7 senior positions up for grabs?

Stafford
Graham
Krakouer
Simmonds
Tivs
Cambo
Jackson

I'd reckon we will only make 3 changes and certain senior players will escape the chop only because the likes of Brown, Rodan, Moore, Gilmour and Foley are all out injured.

In: Hartigan, Hall, Schulz
Out: Jackson/Krakouer, Graham/Morrison, Stafford

13 players had had two or fewer possessions in the final quarter. He said that statistic demanded immediate action.

I can handle us getting beaten if they give their all  but that stat is a disgrace. Just further proof of the lack of intensity and work-ethic last Saturday night  :scream.

Wallace said the Tigers would check with the AFL to see whether a number of their struggling players could line up for Coburg in the VFL this weekend and try to resurrect their form.

If Coburg wasn't playing an intra-club match it might of been a good idea to get the guys following the gameplan again (or get singled out and blasted) and to build up some of the confidence that obviously has been shot.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 06:49:33 AM »
Three will do, MT, as long as it's not the predictable players like Morro who get dropped.  Don't know why you had Morro on your list given reports by some he did so well  :lol  I didn't think he did, but can't see why he can't be given the same amount of time as others to change his form in the firsts, given that's the precedent Wallace has set.  You may as well cut Morro off the list now if he gets dropped after one game when others have had so much time.  Would totally gut the kid.  Not that i expect him to be on the list at the end of the year, but i like to see all of them have the same chances.

Offline chris88

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:13:54 AM »
Three will do, MT, as long as it's not the predictable players like Morro who get dropped.  Don't know why you had Morro on your list given reports by some he did so well  :lol  I didn't think he did, but can't see why he can't be given the same amount of time as others to change his form in the firsts, given that's the precedent Wallace has set.  You may as well cut Morro off the list now if he gets dropped after one game when others have had so much time.  Would totally gut the kid.  Not that i expect him to be on the list at the end of the year, but i like to see all of them have the same chances.

Moi - IMO, Staff, Graham and Tivs would have to go before someone like Morrison, who's only had one chance.

Graham's leadership and mentoring work has been, by all reports, important around the club this year. But based on form alone, he hasn't earned a game in the firsts over the past 3-4 weeks. Staff is struggling clearly, and Tivs was lucky not to be dropped last week - and did very little to reverse the situation this week against Adelaide.

Not only that, but these three can be easily replaced by others - Schulz/Pattison, Hall, Hartigan/Tambling (if fit and ready), Meyer, etc.

Krak could escape given his decent game (bar finishing) against the Roos, but he was well beaten on the weekend and struggled ... he may be under threat, but I'm not sure.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:20:38 PM »

Yeah that's why I didn't have Morrison in my 7 as he's only played one game while others have had the whole season to (not) perform. But saying that we can't have a backline containing Gas, Kellaway, Graham and Morrison. Talk about slow with the agility of the Queen Mary  :help. We might as well chuck Cambo and Stafford back there and Clinton Casey can start up another retirement village in our defence lol. I can't see Gas or Kellaway getting dropped as they've been most good this year. With Hall coming back at least one of Graham or Morrison has to go.

I don't see Tivs getting dropped either after Terry saying we will persist with him and work to iron out his deficiencies. I didn't notice him at all except during the third quarter.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:51:04 PM »

Graham's leadership and mentoring work has been, by all reports, important around the club this year. But based on form alone, he hasn't earned a game in the firsts over the past 3-4 weeks. Staff is struggling clearly, and Tivs was lucky not to be dropped last week - and did very little to reverse the situation this week against Adelaide.

IMO it is a dim reflection on the leadership skills of Gaspar and Kellaway if we need to bring in an average experienced player who has achieved the sum total of nothing in his career to mentor the younger defenders.

Its not exactly like bringing Martin Pike in, is it?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 06:30:01 AM »
Not sure how we can realistically make 7 changes given our depth is stretched as it is.

The 7 senior positions up for grabs?

Stafford
Graham
Krakouer
Simmonds
Tivs
Cambo
Jackson

sorry mt, but i dont think jackson will be dropped, terry actually praised his efforts as he was one of 3 players who continually took risks and took adelaide on. he broke the lines whenever he could  and never went sideways. he also apologised to a young toger onballer for not giving him enough game time, imo that would be raines!!! i believe the 7 players warned were all senior players  which counts jackson out.

my 7 players are

Stafford
Graham
Krakouer
Gaspar
Tivs
Cambo
Kellaway

simmonds was injured and terry knows that, and jackson is still young and learning and was a bright light 4 us in that game