Author Topic: The axe must fall, but who?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The axe must fall, but who?
« on: June 19, 2005, 02:12:17 AM »
With players like Tambling, Schulz, Hall, Hartigan, Moore and Foley available for selection come the Sydney game, who should be the players that get the chop?

These are the swaps that i'd like to see:

Tambling/Krakeour
Schulz/Stafford
Hall/Graham
Hartigan/Chaffey
Moore/Morrison
Foley/injured player

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: The axe must fall, but who?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »
Agree with all those suggestions and I'd probably drop Jackson (or Richo if it is to be an injured player) for Foley.

I may be more inclined to stay with Chaffey than Tivendale but they are both droppable.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:28:12 AM »
Re: Chaffey/Tivendale, Tivs is 26 while Chaff is 28, and IMO Tivendale had more impact then Chaffey tonight, so i'll take Tiv's over Chaff!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 06:24:37 PM »
drop
graham
tiv
chaffey
kellaway
gaspar
morrison
campbell
stafford

bring in
meyer
bling
patterson
gilmore
moore
shulz
foley
archibald

and if these kids stuff up , who cares they are young , its time they got experience and started developing together ala st kilda!!!!! they may make mistakes but they will have a go stick to the game plan and are our future, the outs i pointed out to are not our future and are consistantly stuffing up, no excuse for experienced players. terry has seen them for 13 rounds , its time to move on and think about his next 4.5 years

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
drop
graham
tiv
chaffey
kellaway
gaspar
morrison
campbell
stafford

bring in
meyer
bling
patterson
gilmore
moore
shulz
foley
archibald

and if these kids stuff up , who cares they are young , its time they got experience and started developing together ala st kilda!!!!! they may make mistakes but they will have a go stick to the game plan and are our future, the outs i pointed out to are not our future and are consistantly stuffing up, no excuse for experienced players. terry has seen them for 13 rounds , its time to move on and think about his next 4.5 years

Wouldn't swap 8 players for 8 kids, but i would do some swaps!

graham - Yes
tiv - 50/50
chaffey - 50/50
kellaway - No
gaspar - No
morrison - I'd liked to see him get a couple of games, then i'll decide on him.
campbell - Will not happen.
stafford - Yes

meyer - Give him a couple of FULL games at Coburg, then depending on form yes.
bling - Let him get fit, then yes.
patterson - Body is not filled out enough for AFL footy, only contributing at Coburg, so probably not.
gilmore - Coming back from injury, would need a few weeks regardless.
moore - Definetly, once he returns from injury and gets a bit of form and fitness at Coburg.
shulz - Yes
foley - Yes, like others coming back from injury needs to get fitness up.
archibald - Dark horse, don't know whether his ready or not.

Offline Tiv

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 10:16:34 AM »
No use playing the kids as they are not ready yet, let them get exp in the two's. If they arent able to disp;lay consistent form then I can not see reason to select them.

Our problem is we have quite a few injuries, have just started to rebuild and the youngsters will take time as did St.Kildas and Geelongs. Geelongs players took 3-4 years to come up, Saints were firing earlier because their picks were 1st or 2nd or in the top 5 for 3-4 years running. Similar players to Tambling,Deledio,Judd, Hodge mature and can cut the grade. The last thing we want is to put pressure on young physically & mentally imature players and destroy their confidence and bodies. I'm afraid we just have to perservere.

We have played D's,WC,Kangas & Adelaide. 4 Good teams and currently 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

Adelaide & Kangas were at full strength, we are the wooden spooners with a nice list of injured players or a couple of players playing injured. We have a very young list. Players like Campbell, Graham, Stafford, Chaffey will be gone in a year or two and with our recruiting we will be a very young if not the youngest team. Let the young players mature, it will show in 2-3 years time.

At the moment, Tambling if he trains hard and gets some more fitness, Shulz and Hartigan should be the only inclusions. Hartigan/Tambling young with some much needed run and good use of the ball. Shulz up forward next to Richo. Possibly Hall if not injured at CHB as Kellas and Gas play better footy on smaller forwards and thus run the ball out.

Outs? Staff,Kraks(get some confidence)...??  Morrison needs a couple of games.

X I agree I would like to all the players you mentioned as ins to get a run sometime this year. Basically towards the last 1/4 by then they would have had much experience in the two's and could freshen the side, maybe just the spark we need if we make the finals...like the Bombers of '95. Slow start, came from nowhere and triumphed!

Weeks rest is the best thing at this moment....

Moi

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:12:38 PM »
If they'd adopted a system of getting a game based on merit from the start of the year, we wouldn't have been in this position.  They would have been fighting each other to get a game.  As it stands, we have players who are not performing.  Where's the motivation for them to perform if they know they get a game week in and week out?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »
If they'd adopted a system of getting a game based on merit from the start of the year, we wouldn't have been in this position.  They would have been fighting each other to get a game.  As it stands, we have players who are not performing.  Where's the motivation for them to perform if they know they get a game week in and week out?

I understand what your saying Moi but at the start of the year we were winning and rightly or wrongly when teams are winning they make very few changes. In the first 10 rounds they were fighting each other. And when you are winning the errors and flaws are sometimes not a obvious

Coupled with that Tezza made it pretty clear early on that guys would only get promoted if the played consistently for Coburg. One good game, then one bad followed by an average game was not going to get you into the seniors.

On this point he's been true to his word - everyone who's been bought up has deserved their chance and that's right down to Morrison this past game. There are others that just haven't earned the opportunity yet.

I don't think Coburgs draw has helped much either when they had effectively 2 byes over a 3 week period. This meant a number of blokes played one game of footy over a month.

The other thing is that a number of  our younger blokes are just not ready for senior AFL footy. I honestly don't think throwing them in for the sake of it is going to be very beneficial at the moment. Look at what's happening at Hawthorn they are getting thrashed and you can only think of what it's doing to them - do want to subject our kids to that? It is a bit of a juggling act I reckon

I am 100% all for playing the kids if they deserve it but promoting them just because for the sake of it isn't the answer either
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 04:56:12 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 05:02:37 PM »
I'm not talking about kids - i'm talking about anyone on merit.
And we're not winning now, and haven't for a few weeks, so it's about time i think. 
On this point he's been true to his word - everyone who's been bought up has deserved their chance and that's right down to Morrison this past game.
Be interesting what happens with Morro next week - average game.  Will Tezza leave him in the firsts to nurture him along or straight back to the seconds.  Interesting seeing as he's had a lot of patience with others.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »
I'm not talking about kids - i'm talking about anyone on merit.
And we're not winning now, and haven't for a few weeks, so it's about time i think. 

What if there isn't anyone in Coburg who deserves a game?

On Sunday's form - there weren't many. Hartigan will come back perhaps Tambling, maybe Schulz then there's on one really

On this point he's been true to his word - everyone who's been bought up has deserved their chance and that's right down to Morrison this past game.
Be interesting what happens with Morro next week - average game.  Will Tezza leave him in the firsts to nurture him along or straight back to the seconds.  Interesting seeing as he's had a lot of patience with others.

I thought Morrison did OK - his opponent McGregor who's been one of the Crows best all season had very little impact - I think Morrison did exactly what he was told to do
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 06:38:25 PM »
I'm afraid we just have to perservere.

Unfortunately that's the case. Any personnel changes will only be a band-aid measure :(. Hartigan, Tambling and Schulz look like the only ones capable of getting a senior game.

We did well earlier on in the year because we could rotate our midfield to some degree. But without Browny and Hyde not giving us the same output he did prior to his fractured skull there's too much being left to Tuck, Johnson and Cogs.

It's going to take the whole 5 years of Wallace's contract to fix this mess. Eliminating the old usual suspects year by year and replacing them with classy kids when they are physcially and mentally ready to play at this level.  But at the moment they aren't ready  :(. This is year 1 of 5 and the most important time of this year for us will be in November on draft day.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 01:01:42 AM »

I thought Morrison did OK - his opponent McGregor who's been one of the Crows best all season had very little impact - I think Morrison did exactly what he was told to do

True that McGregor didn't do a lot on the night. What Richmond really needs is a CHB who is prepared to crash packs. Make Forwards poo themselves if they are taking a mark from a high kick. Not knowing whats coming up behind them.

Neither Morrison or Hall do that.

It's selfish backline play to just stand there with an arm on your opponent, you have to help out. Take some initiative, get in the way.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 01:04:48 AM »
And Hall should come back in for Morrison if he is available.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine