Author Topic: Richo to delay surgery  (Read 911 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Richo to delay surgery
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:18:33 AM »

22 June 2005   Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

RICHMOND'S superstar forward Matthew Richardson will not have surgery on his troublesome knee until the end of the year.

However, he might have to continue a series of fluid-draining sessions in a bid to play out the season.

At Laguna Quays in the Whitsundays with his teammates, Richardson said yesterday he would probably have an arthroscopy at the end of the season.

Amid concerns that Richmond's season is derailing after a healthy start, news Richardson will continue to play has delighted Tiger coaching staff.

Richardson stressed his knee was not structurally damaged and a cortisone injection at the weekend, combined with the split-round break, would suffice until the operation.

"After the Adelaide game I had it drained, (had a) bit of cortisone and now I have the week off, and, hopefully, next week it should be right to go," Richardson said.

"Basically the problem was it wouldn't stop swelling. The structure of the knee is fine.

"I had a few injuries five or six weeks ago, and because I didn't get a chance to rest it, it couldn't settle down. With this break it should settle down fine."

Richardson, like Carlton's Anthony Koutoufides at the start of the season, opted for cortisone instead of a cleanout that would have sidelined him for at least two weeks.

"I've done it (cortisone) once, and that's probably the only time I have to do it," Richardson said.

"Everyone got together and (agreed) it was the best way to manage it."

Gun recruit Richard Tambling and Rory Hilton (finger) are likely to play in the VFL this weekend.

They are pushing for selection for the Swans game the following Saturday.

The pair could be among a host of inclusions after coach Terry Wallace flagged up to seven changes at a meeting on Monday night.

Richmond's four-day camp at Laguna included a day of activities yesterday and an extensive mid-year review last night.

The players enjoyed a round of golf, before going deep-sea fishing.

Offline ferring

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Richo to delay surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
Btw Julz, did you see that great pic of Richo wearing the black singlet and cargo shorts?  :gobdrop
Sweeet.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richo to delay surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »
Sure did.  Made my day.   :thumbsup :thumbsup Put a copy of it on the thread titled Timely Break for Tigers.