Author Topic: Essendon being invstigated by the AFL over draft breach (afl site)  (Read 1822 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bombers under scrutiny on rookie draft

Peter Ryan 
afl.com.au
November 28, 2013 2:01 PM

THE AFL is investigating whether Essendon breached rules on which players are allowed to train with clubs in the lead up to the rookie draft.

Clubs must notify the AFL if unlisted players are training with them before the national, pre-season and rookie drafts, but some clubs believe Essendon had players training without being given official permission, or who were ineligible to receive permission.

Training lists are issued publicly during the pre-season, and all clubs are notified whenever there is a change in the permission to train lists.

AFL.com.au understands that several players who trained with the Bombers were subsequently rookie listed with other clubs at Wednesday's draft.

The only player Essendon named on the official permission to train list made public last week was Michael Sikora from the club's VFL team.

He was overlooked, with the Dons drafting Queensland ruckman Fraser Thurlow and Essendon VFL player Patrick Ambrose.

AFL rules say that clubs are not permitted to request, invite, allow, require or direct a player who had attended a combine or state screening session to be tested, evaluated or to do any form of training with either the club or an associated club before being drafted.

Clubs can face a financial sanction of $10,000 for a first offence and a $20,000 fine for subsequent breach of the rule.

Essendon will be hoping it is able to satisfy the AFL it has not breached any rules as it endeavours to recover from a shocking 2013. 

After a dramatic year in which the club was fined $2 million and excluded from the first two rounds of the draft, new Essendon coach Mark Thompson told reporters the club had some work to do to rebuild faith.

"It's really important that we restore that faith and respect. A lot of people are close to this football club. It's like their family, it's their association, it's their tradition. So for them to lose 1 per cent of respect for us, it hurts all of us. So we have to give our time and our efforts and make them happy again about our club."

When asked about expectations for 2013 the two-time premiership coach at Geelong said: "We're going to try and just do things right."

An Essendon spokesman told AFL.com.au the club was cooperating: "We are working with the AFL to have this matter resolved as quickly as possible."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-28/dons-in-draft-probe?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Essendon being invstigated by the AFL over draft breach (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »
Dogs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
Gotta love the Bombers

Still bumbling along  :rollin :rollin

Wonder if they will blame the "Weapon" or Danks for this one  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
Did we get done for having Justin Murphy train with us in the same scenario ?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
Snouts in the trough
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »
I'm sure they will be in a very good place when the truth comes out.  Shocked to be sitting there. Etc.

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »
My missus works with this elderly bomber lady who along with her 90+ year old mother have been life long bomber members. She said Essendon called her workmate's mother and asked if she would leave them her will. Even the both of them were disgusted and told the club to stick it after everything that happened.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
U joking

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
My missus works with this elderly bomber lady who along with her 90+ year old mother have been life long bomber members. She said Essendon called her workmate's mother and asked if she would leave them her will. Even the both of them were disgusted and told the club to stick it after everything that happened.

Surely not............?
Eff me!!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »

Jeezus!
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
alright you old cow

you gunna die soon, you know it and we know it

we need alot of cash for tb4/a0d/humanrightslawyers/spindoctors...

and where you going money no good to you

put us in ya will please bitch

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Essendon has been sanctioned $20,000 in relation to unlisted players training at the club before the recent NAB AFL Rookie Draft in November

The Bombers fully co-operated in the investigation and, as such, $10,000 of the penalty has been suspended until Dec 31, 2014.

Essendon Statement:

AFL General Counsel Andrew Dillon today said the Essendon Football Club had been sanctioned $20,000 for breaching the AFL Player rules, in relation to unlisted players training at the club before the recent NAB AFL Rookie Draft in November.

Mr Dillon said the AFL’s Investigations Manager Ken Wood found that the club, through a procedural documentation issue, had breached the List Lodgement Rules by failing to lodge the lst of Unlisted Players training at the club, prior to the commencement of their training activities.

In relation to the sanction, $10,000 has been suspended until December 31, 2014.

Mr Dillon said the Essendon Football Club had fully co-operated in the investigation and this and other mitigating factors had been taken into account regarding the sanction imposed on the club.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2013/11/essendon-facing-fines-for-allowing-rookies-to-train-without-permission/

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
it has begun!!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
it has begun!!

What's that dear ?

The second time around the sun with no action from Asada?