Author Topic: Port game and changes?  (Read 880 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Port game and changes?
« on: July 19, 2005, 06:49:03 PM »
Do you reckon they'll be many changes for this game?

Gas is obviously out and I think Tambling might be sent back to Coburg to get a full game under his belt and get his hands on the footy. Appeared to get taken out of the contest a few times. Foley and either Stafford or Sarge to come in.

Also who gets the jobs on Tredrea and Chad Cornes? C.Corners missed the match earlier in the year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Port game and changes?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 09:20:20 PM »
I reckon Schulz will come in for Gaspar.

I agree with your assessment regarding Tambling MT - I'll think he'll go back for a spell. I'd bring in Foley.

As for Stafford - I don't know to be honest - going by what Tezza said today at "Tuesdays with Terry" I don't reckon Staffy's any certainty.

I reckon Graham will get frist crack at Tredrea, with Morrison or Schulz taking Lade
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace ponders defensive mix (AFL site)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 09:35:06 PM »
Wallace ponders defensive mix
5:42:11 PM Tue 19 July, 2005
Jen Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond is yet to decide on the structure of its backline for Saturday's clash with Port Adelaide in the absence of defenders Darren Gaspar and Andrew Kellaway.

Speaking on Tuesday at his weekly media conference, coach Terry Wallace said it was too early to tell who would step up to replace the veteran defenders, who are sidelined with injury.

"I haven't earmarked anyone as a direct replacement for Gaspar. We haven't had match committee yet, it hasn't even come up in our discussions yet," Wallace said.

Considering the Tigers face the Power on the rebound this week at AAMI Stadium, Wallace agreed that finding someone to stop Port forward Warren Tredrea would be paramount.

"(Tredrea's) record over in Adelaide is fantastic. You have a look at his home and away form structuring up this year, and he's just been in incredible form over at AAMI Stadium," Wallace said.

"In the early part of the year we mainly played Darren as a fullback and left him at fullback regardless of the opposition, but certainly the last time around that we played Port Adelaide Darren took (Tredrea) after the first ten minutes or so, and got the job done for us.

"So it does make a real difficulty, but crisis creates opportunity and sets up a chance for someone else to put their hand up and have a crack at it."

While Wallace couldn't confirm who would get the job, he was happy to speculate.

"(Troy Simmonds) has played as a defender in the past, certainly, but we've used him mostly forward and he's done the same thing in the past couple of years with Fremantle, so they're all permutations and combinations you go through; who can and who can't do the job for us," Wallace said.

"We had Ray Hall earlier in the year do a fantastic job on Matthew Pavlich, which not many have been able to do with the form he's been in over the duration, we then had Mark Graham take (Jonathan) Brown up in Brisbane, and he got the job done there.

"So I suppose we have got some alternatives to go."

Wallace also spoke of possible promotions from the VFL.

"There's quite a few. Jay Schulz has been around the mark for a few weeks now, Andrew Raines stepped out of the side but performed very well again at the next level down, Kelvin Moore played a good solid game at reserve grade level, Daniel Jackson played well at reserve grade level," he said.

"Adam Pattison's been up for a few weeks but has been a little bit sore, did an ankle on the weekend, but I wouldn't think with that sort of preparation he'd come into the side. But they're the ones that are around the mark."

Greg Stafford is available this week after being suspended for the past two matches for striking Sydney's Jason Ball in round 14.

But Wallace said there was no guarantee Stafford would be an automatic selection and that the decision could depend on the Port Adelaide structure.

"He's been out for a couple of weeks, his form wasn't great, and we'd have to have a look at what the weather is doing over there.

"They are a big, strong bodied side, makes you a little bit more inclined to have a look at him, and we'll sort of study what is happening with Dean Brogan," Wallace said.

"We'll factor in whether they are likely to play two or three ruckmen, and make our own decisions accordingly."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=216335

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace aims for lucky 13 (AFL site)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 09:36:26 PM »
Wallace aims for lucky 13
6:41:33 PM Tue 19 July, 2005
Jen Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

With the Tigers clinging to eighth position with nine wins and seven losses, Richmond coach, Terry Wallace believes his side will have to claim victories in four out of the remaining six rounds to secure a finals berth.

"I think where we are at the moment, percentage is not going to play a major factor in us where we finish," Wallace said on Tuesday at his weekly media conference.

"I think it will be a situation of either the wins won't get us there, or they will get us over the line. I think a team with 12 wins and a good percentage will be just about guaranteed to get there. I think 12 wins wouldn't guarantee you to get there without the percentage.

"So if you want to make it a guarantee, I would think you'd need 13 to be guaranteed. Twelve may get you there, but it's still in the lap of the gods. Most years 12 gets you there, but obviously there has been varying years that it hasn't."

Whether the Tigers are ready to accept that challenge, however, Wallace believes only time will tell.

"I don't know what we've got in us. How do you predict? I don’t know how you go, you can try your permutations and combinations, and try to select out the rest of the games for the season. It's just too difficult to do," Wallace said.

"What we've got to try and do is beat those we've beaten the first time around, and if we can do that, it gives us a very good chance of getting there."

The Tigers will head west this week to encounter Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, and Wallace believes that while the Power's home-ground advantage will test his players, there isn't a great deal separating the sides.

"(Port is) around the same ilk as us, what do you say? All you can say about the season when you're this deep into it is that the ladder positions is where people are at any point in time, and the thing with Port Adelaide that I've seen this year is they're pretty good at home, and haven't been able to get the same results away from home," Wallace said.

"Last year, they were able to do both, and I suppose that is going to be our big challenge. There's been others that have gone over there thinking, well, maybe they might not be right on the mark of where they've been in the past couple of years, but they haven't come back with the points.

"That's a real challenge for the group, to be able to deal and try and knock that one over, as (Port) has still got a lot of experienced players in the mix."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=216334

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »
The weather looks like it will be ok this w/end.
I just went over to punt road to have a nosy.
In simulated match practice Staff played on morro up forward and gave morrison a bit of a lesson let's say.
Shultz seemed to go okay also.

I would say go tall bring in schultz to play on Tredrea - I know it is throwing him in the deep end a bit but he might surprise some people. Replacing Gaspar.
Bring in Stafford to go up forward and rotate the 4 talls around staff richo knobel and simmonds (the latter just practising his goal kicking today) ?
Staff replacing morrison (who let a few expletives go at training today) :lol

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:35:19 PM »
In - Schulz, Foley

Out - Gasper, Tambling

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 06:45:44 PM »
Flood in the EOTT section on the RFC site reckoned Sarge has his best game for Coburg this season. Attacked the ball well and provided stability across half-back. One negative comment was he needed to move the ball out of the backline a little quicker after marking (a number of senior players do that as well as for Richmond). On Foley Flood said could put his disposals (once again heaps of them - 31) to better use and needs to improve the depth in his kicking and to also learn to crumb goals..

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Another opposition milestone game
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 04:05:50 AM »
Another opposition milestone game to contend with - Josh Francou's 150th  :-\.

Also Wanganeen will come back for them and Brogan could also return depending on how he pulls up after Port's training yesterday. Roger James is carrying a knee. Stewart Dew missed training with the Flu. Montgomery also has the flu but trained. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:00:37 AM »
ROUND 17 - RICHMOND vs PORT ADELAIDE - AMII Stadium

SUMMARY:

A 69 point canning from the Saints has left the Tigers clinging to eighth spot on the ladder facing another "8-point" encounter this time against tenth placed Port Adelaide at Football Park this Saturday Night. A venue at which Richmond has never defeated the Power and a task made that more difficult trying to cover the loss due to injury of in-form veteran defenders Darren Gaspar and Andrew Kellaway. A "upset" win would most likely see us safely into September while defeat would see the Tiges slip out of the top 8 for the first time since round 3. Richmond has made three changes with Stafford, Foley and Moore coming for the injured Gaspar and omitted Morrison and Tambling.

Our opponents likewise are coming off a spanking after suffering a 79 point loss to the Cats down at Geelong. The Power still have a faint chance of making the finals if they win this week but a loss would end their reign as premiers. Wanganeen and Damon White return for them at the expense of ex-Lion Shattock and tall forward Thurstans.

PAST ENCOUNTERS:

Overall: 3-8

In the 00's: 1-6

At AMII Stadium (Football Park):  0-7

Last Time:

Round 6, 01.05.05. "Home" at Docklands.

Richmond 1.2 7.4 13.7 19.9-123   
Port Adel. 4.4 6.8 6.10 9.13-67   

Multiple Goalkickers: Richmond - Brown 6, Pettifer 4, Richardson 3, Stafford 2; Port Adelaide - Lade 2, Tredrea 2.

Attendance: 21,301   

KEY STATS AND MATCH-UPS:

Earlier on in the season when we thumped Port after quarter time we smashed them in the midfield denying them the wins from contested footy and controlling the central corridor slowing down their run out off half-back and forcing them to chip wide and short. This gave their forwards in Tredrea (47 goals), Lade (17 goals) and Thurstans (not playing) no space to lead in to as we were able to get plenty of numbers back to defend. Similar to what the Saints did to us last week. Given loss of Gaspar and Kellaway will weaken our backline structure, it is imperative we again get control at the stoppages and clearances. Particularly at AMII Stadium where generating run through the central corridor is not only crucial to scoring ourselves but also equally important at stopping Port getting a run on and scoring in quick bursts. Something they have a habit of doing over there. Even though they have had a poor year compared to their recent success, the Power have still managed to keep their home form in tack winning 6 of their 7 homes games. Their only losses have been to the Cats and the Crows in the Showdown. Centre half-forward Warren Tredrea's formguide virtually matches that of his side with 37 of his 47 goals for the year so far scored at AMII Stadium.   

It's almost pointless to say where we need to improve on from the Saints game as we made every dumb footy mistake you can make on a footy field after half-time. Clearly we need a team effort this week as 14 Tigers with 10 or less possessions is not acceptable. Blokes wearing the mighty yellow and black need to lead hard into space when we have the footy to provide options to kick to further upfield and those with the footy need to open their eyes to see free teammates and quickly dispose of the footy before they are manned up. When we don't have the ball we need to harrass, pressurize and TACKLE!

In terms of match-ups, down-back I believe Razor will get first crack at Tredrea even though Simmonds is named at CHB ???. If was to try Simmonds in defence to get him to find some form and footy around the ground then Lade would be a better match-up IMO. Tredrea would run Simmonds tagged. When Simmonds moves into the ruck then Graham will have to take Lade. Thursty or Newman will have big job on Shaun Burgoyne while the other gets Wanganeen. All up we definitely don't want Port to get on top in the midfield.

In the midfield Kane Cornes (avg 24 disposals) and Peter Burgoyne (21) are the main threats if they are allowed easy footy. Chaffey will get the job on one of them - most likely Kane Cornes IMO. Dew (18) also has been a rare Power player to have a better year than last. Port have a large contingent of outside running players (Burgoyne brothers, Pickett, Dew, Montgomery, Kingsley, Walsh and Wilson) with good pace and foot skills. If given plenty of space they will cut us open. However Port have struggled all year at winning contested footy since Josh Carr left for Freo and with Roger James injured or carrying an injury (he's carrying a knee and hardly trains). Primus and Francou lack pace. Last time Cogs (23) and Tuck (23) won us first use of the footy after quarter time and they will need to do the same again supported by Johnson (23), Krakouer after his very quiet game last week, Tivs, Hyde and Foley. The latter two didn't play in the last meeting. I reckon Cambo won't be used as much in the midfield but played more up forward to protect his ageing body after suffering calf tightness late in the Saints game.   

Up forward Wakelin or Bishop will be asked again to mind Richo who tore them to shreds at the Dome. Hopefully Richo won't get distracted trying too much to outwrestle his opponent like he did with Hudghton last week. Stafford will get whoever Richo doesn't. Chad Cornes who missed last time is someone we can't just leave to his own devices otherwise he'll chop off our passes inside 50 and set up goals for the Power. Last week Geelong effectively "tagged" him out of the game with Milburn always by his side. We will need to do something similar. Joel  would be a good match-up for C.Cornes but we need him as our own rebounder out of defence. Maybe this is where Moore comes in although it's a big task for someone who hasn't played AFL footy in a while to play on one of the comps best rebounders. As for our other small and midsized forwards they need to just get into the game. Five goals for the match and only two in the last three-quarters is on par with 2004. Apart from Hilton our other midsize forwards weren't seen at all. It didn't that our movement of the ball and passing inside 50 returned to the old wide and zig-zag style that isn't Wallace's gameplan.   

Overall: For the Tiges to win Cogs and Tuck with support from our other midfielders have to clearly dominate at the stoppages and clearances. If the Power are allowed to get their running game going and build up some confidence it'll be difficult to stop them at AMII stadium where they play with more fluency and directness than compared to their matches outside South Australia. That is why they are clear favourites for this clash on top of the key injuries we've copped. As with any interstate match we need to get off to a good start or at least stay with them early on. If we level with them going into the second half and especially the last quarter we will be in with a good shot of knocking them over as Port haven't finished games only won three of their last quarters this year with a paltry percentage of 72.

THIS WEEK'S TEAMS:

RICHMOND

B: Newman, Hall, Chaffey
HB: Bowden, Simmonds, Thursfield
C: Tivendale. Coughlan, Deledio
HF: Johnson, Richardson, Campbell
F: Krakouer, Stafford, Pettifer
R: Knobel, Tuck, Foley
Int: Hilton, Moore, Graham, Hyde

IN: Stafford, Foley, Moore
OUT: Gas (inj), Morrison, Tambling

PORT ADELAIDE

B: Wilson, Wakelin, Bishop
HB: Montgomery, C.Cornes, Kingsley
C: Dew, James, P.Burgoyne
HF: Pickett, Tredrea, Cassisi
F: S.Burgoyne, Lade, Wanganeen
R: Primus, K.Cornes, Francou
Int: Ebert, Walsh, Mahoney, White

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers step forward to stifle Tredrea (The Age)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 05:02:16 AM »
Tigers step forward to stifle Tredrea
By Mark Fuller
The Age
July 23, 2005

Finding a man to stop Port Adelaide spearhead Warren Tredrea has been tricky terrain for Richmond coach Terry Wallace this week, but he has been encouraged, at least, to have had requests for the job from within his undermanned defence.

The task of containing Tredrea tonight at his venue of choice, AAMI Stadium, was made doubly problematic for the Tigers when Darren Gaspar's hamstring injury forced him to join fellow key defender Andrew Kellaway, who is training with his broken jaw wired, on the casualty list this week.

The loss of his two best backmen has left Wallace with the unenviable task of deciding who among likely candidates Ray Hall, Mark Graham, Jay Schulz and Troy Simmons might best cope with the powerful Power forward on his home turf.

All four may be required, given that Tredrea has kicked 37 of his 47 goals in 2005 at AAMI Stadium.

Wallace was keeping his Tredrea options open early in the week, and after training at Punt Road yesterday he was no more forthcoming about who would get the job.

The Richmond coach, though, was happy to report that the assignment appealed to at least "a couple" of his men. When asked to name names, Wallace smiled coyly and said he was "not going there". And so the mystery deepens.

"I mean, obviously we've been speaking with guys all week. And we've had a couple of blokes who've wanted to have the opportunity of taking them on. As you should," Wallace said. "You're playing on one of the better players in the competition, I think every player likes to challenge himself in that way.

"It's a bit of a challenge for our back-line group in general, with a couple of all-Australian back-line players out. We just need a couple to step up."

If injury has created opportunity among the ranks of Richmond's backmen, it is through a more deliberate process that opportunity has been created for the relatively untried pair of Kelvin Moore and Nathan Foley.

Wallace said that in dispensing the richly talented Richard Tambling to the VFL this week and elevating budding key defender Moore and onballer Foley, he was casting an eye beyond 2005.

Tambling, he said, simply needed more game time than he was being afford in the senior team, and his long-term future was not an issue.

But Wallace suggested that for the rangy Moore, who has completed a long recovery from a broken jaw, and the nuggety Foley, who made his debut against Melbourne this season before injuring his hamstring, much more was at stake.

"We've got to make decisions on (Foley's) career. I mean, he's a rookie that's on the list at the moment with the long-term injuries," he said. "Kelvin Moore, he's in exactly the same sort of position: where's he heading?

"The game (against Port Adelaide) is important in itself but our future's important as well.

"There's no worries about where Richard's going. Richard's going where we're going."

Maybe so, but Tambling is not going to AAMI Stadium, a venue at which Richmond has experienced seven defeats from seven encounters with the Power.

Wallace consigned these numbers to history yesterday and spoke instead of the strength the eighth-placed Tigers might extract from winning in Adelaide tonight.

"I think it would do an enormous amount for our confidence," he said.

"I saw people saying how we've only won two out of our last seven, but we've actually won two out of our last three as well.

"So, it just depends on which way you want to look at the numbers.

"You would think our interstate games are going to be really critical to setting up our run home. If we happen to pinch either this one or the Fremantle game, that puts us in really good stead."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/07/22/1121539149736.html