Author Topic: Matt Thomas wants to be part of Richmond’s finals future (Herald-Sun)  (Read 864 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Thomas wants to be part of Richmond’s finals future
Herald-Sun
Glenn McFarlane
July 24, 2014 5:54PM

RICHMOND hard nut Matt Thomas says the Tigers’ recent form highlights why they can play finals next year — and he wants to be a part of it.

Thomas is yet to have serious discussions about a role for next year, but insists he still has plenty to offer the club.

“We haven’t spoken as yet, but I feel as if I still have a few years of good footy ahead of me,” Thomas said ahead of his return to the Richmond side against West Coast.

“If you look at my averages this season and stuff like that, I’m probably playing some of my best footy.

“I have got a role at the Tigers and as long as they will have me, I would love to stay around for a few more years.”

Thomas, 27, missed the past two games due to an Achilles injury, but is back for the clash at Patersons Stadium.

“It’s a massive game,” Thomas said. “(West Coast) are four points above us on the ladder and this is a great chance for us to draw level with them.

“Over the last few weeks, we’ve shown we can get a big scalp like Port Adelaide and hopefully there are a few more to come.

“We’ve got a fantastic list and we feel as if we have some good depth as well.

“I haven’t tasted finals and that’s something I really want to be a part of. I was at Port Adelaide in 2007 when they got pantsed by Geelong. I was injured out at the time.

“But I definitely believe finals is on the cards for Richmond next year.”

Thomas’s return in the AFL’s Multicultural Round is fitting, given his mother, Liesel, spent the first three years of her life in the Seychelles — a 155-island archipelago in the Indian Ocean.

Thomas’s father, Ken, was born and bred in Australia.

Thomas is one of 12 Richmond players who had one or both of their parents born outside of Australia.

“Mum was born in the Seychelles and was one of 11 kids,” he said. “She came out to Australia when she was only three and they settled into Malvern.

“They were a working class family. Her mum worked two jobs and sometimes night shift and her dad worked two jobs as well to make ends meet.

“I’ve got 50-odd cousins on my mum’s side living all around Australia at the moment.

“Mum used to speak a bit of Creole at home when we were growing up, but that’s sort of died away since my grandma passed away.”

Thomas has never visited the place of his mother’s birth, but has it on his “bucket list”, and wants his mum to also return one day.

For the moment, though, he is intent on securing his spot with Richmond, and hopefully playing his 100th game in Round 20, against Essendon at the MCG.

“I’m coming back knowing my Achilles is right, where I was playing on one leg and hanging out for the bye a few weeks ago,” he said.

THE MULTICULTURAL TIGERS

Matt Thomas — mother born in Seychelles

Jake Batchelor — mother born in Wales

Reece Conca — father born in Italy

Nick Vlaustin — father born in Papua New Guinea

Bachar Houli — both parents born in Lebanon

Ivan Maric — both parents born in Croatia

Dustin Martin — father born in New Zealand

Shaun Hampson — father born in England

Aaron Edwards — born in Western Samoa; mother born in Western Samoa; father born in New Zealand

Matthew McDonough — mother born in England

Cadeyn Williams — mother born in Canada

Ben Darrou — father born in Morocco

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/matt-thomas-wants-to-be-part-of-richmonds-finals-future/story-fndv8t7m-1227000549141

tony_montana

lock it in

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Thomarse - the future of Hardwick's Richmond.

In other news, having a parent born in Great Britain apparently now qualifies as "multicultural".
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

Look, Matty will be a very good player for us.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Massive game. Have the opportunity to drop another spot in the draft.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir

Matt Thomas — mother born in Seychelles

i told you  8)

Jake Batchelor — mother born in Wales

lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Well I think we all know what Matt Thomas' future is for 2015. Round 18 2014 selection confirmed it.

When's the first list lodgement for end of year promoted rookie nominations? Sometime in October

And just on this pearler from Mr Thomas:

“If you look at my averages this season and stuff like that, I’m probably playing some of my best footy."

If not playing to your limitation is deemed his "best footy" then....

Terrific, just terrific TM
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
this club is going nowhere at a rate of knots and i really feel for your dusty, cotchin jack, lids types and they will be left with no success with these bunch of hacks.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I actually think with Miles already in the middle, we have a better mix without Thomas. I just don't rate his disposal or spread. Miles is a younger upgrade imo. I will be watching keenly to see how we move the ball tonight with Thomas in the team  :-\

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I just don't rate his disposal or spread.

I don't think anyone on this forum rates his disposal or spread. God I miss Tuck.