Author Topic: Tigers Slash 7 from list (AFL WEBSITE)  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Tigers Slash 7 from list (AFL WEBSITE)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:53 PM »
That or he doesn't rate his poor skills, decision making or temperament

Clueless either way because temperament is his only real issue of those three, the other two are not. If he were delisted soley on those two criteria , then just off the top of my head Houli (decision making) Grigg (decision making & skills), Thomas (decision making & skills), Batchelor (decision making & skills)  Conca (descision making , skills & temperament if you want to chuck that in, in fact you could argue temperament for Houli & Chaplin as well because panicking under pressure is also a temperament issue) should all get the arse before him.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »
I'm not convinced with Arnot, but if we are going to persist with him as a flanker/pocket type rather than as the inside mid he was recruited as, then we may as well give him the arse. Won't make it in that role IMO

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
I'm not convinced with Arnot, but if we are going to persist with him as a flanker/pocket type rather than as the inside mid he was recruited as, then we may as well give him the arse. Won't make it in that role IMO

I agree there... it's his secondary position at best - dunno why he was played there (and I don't buy the "tank" or the "teaching versatilty" arguments - not for the whole game), the last match was particularly baffling when Hardwick pretty much reversed his & Petterd's natural roles after Arnot was brought in for Thomas.

It is interesting to note however that his returns in the position were still comparable to the much lauded Jake King's output over his career up forward but with more tackles - even when he only played three quarters. Not as great as King during that purple patch he had , but considering age & experience and the fact it wasn't his primary position, they weren't bad..and he can find the goals ok too.

He might not have set the world on fire in his few senior appearances but he never looked out of his depth to me. People forget before he was injured last year he was starting to look quite comfortable -his last game in 2013 IIRC was the big win over Hawthorn- and during his best runs of form in the VFL he often looked a class above.

FWIW - as you said and I did in my first post in this thread - he still may not survive if there's a second round of axings this year. Hardwick & some others at the club have never really rated him as highly as most of the assistants do.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 12:45:10 AM »
So, if Miles,  Thomas and Lloyd get upgrades to the senior list, does that leave just two spots for the draft?

Lloyd is already on list proper isn't he? I doubt we'll upgrade Thomas either, it's not like other clubs want to get their hands on him :shh
Yep, Lloyd was already on our senior list as he was pick 66 in last year's National Draft and Miles has already been permanently upgraded to the senior list with his new two year deal. So it's only Thomas left. Currently he's classed as being on the senior list (see RFC website) after being promoted prior to round 1.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/players/senior-players

Remember King and Jackson have also retired which frees up two spots.

So right now we have 35 senior listed players which gives us 3 picks in the National Draft.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 06:16:53 AM »

Don't believe he was originally recruited as an inside mid. I believe from watching VFL he plays his best football as an inside mid. If he survives he is going to have to have big 2015 as otherwise he is gone. Dea similarly is going to have to have a big year next year otherwise his position will be at risk as well.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »

Don't believe he was originally recruited as an inside mid. I believe from watching VFL he plays his best football as an inside mid. If he survives he is going to have to have big 2015 as otherwise he is gone. Dea similarly is going to have to have a big year next year otherwise his position will be at risk as well.

Yep would have to be last year for both unless they take a big leap forward

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »

For me it's not the end of the world if Biccy gets another year but I don't think he has shown enough to persist with. Crash and bash ability seems to be the only thing he can do above average. Skills, pace , poise are lacking for mine.
Give us your thoughts on the matter Dioc, but try not to get your jocks in a twist because others don't rate him as much as you do.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
That or he doesn't rate his poor skills, decision making or temperament

Clueless either way because temperament is his only real issue of those three, the other two are not. If he were delisted soley on those two criteria , then just off the top of my head Houli (decision making) Grigg (decision making & skills), Thomas (decision making & skills), Batchelor (decision making & skills)  Conca (descision making , skills & temperament if you want to chuck that in, in fact you could argue temperament for Houli & Chaplin as well because panicking under pressure is also a temperament issue) should all get the arse before him.

So people who have differing opinions are clueless? ::). All those others have something else to fall back on that far outweigh Arnots only redeeming quality which is his crash and bash body and mindset. If you think he has good skills I don't know how you can't rate any of the others skills (except for Thomas and Batchelor) and that's just focusing on their preferred side. Have you ever seen Arnott use his right side? I have only at training and his partner probably did a few extra km's than anyone else that session (exaggeration but you should get my point).

On your other point that wasn't directed to me, I agree. Was silly and probably unfair to bring him in and play him out of position and expect him as a young player to put in a good performance but then drop him straight away.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
Arnott is poo

Thomas. Grigg. Jackson. Newman. Houli are superior

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:02 AM »
The cuts did not go deep enough. Hampson should have been delisted for one thing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Orren Stephenson has gone back to play for North Ballarat next year in the VFL.

Orren Stephenson @BigO_37  ·  Oct 10

"Thanks to @Richmond_FC & @GeelongCats clubs, coaches, staff and supporters for a cracking time in our lives! #friendships

The family & I are really excited about the opportunity with @NB_Roosters! Great time to rejoin a fantastic organisation!"

https://twitter.com/BigO_37