Author Topic: Remembering VFL Park  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Remembering VFL Park
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »
Was there that day too Tiga!  Great occasion, lots of excitement because that was when the concept finally looked like taking off.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »
Ma Powell took me out to Waverley for a WSC day/night one day game - it was a Xmas present. Train to Flinders Street, then out to Waverley station, then the bus and exhausted by the time we got there

Also remember being one of the last cars let into the car park for the pre-season night GF against the Bombers I think it was
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »
While I wasn't a fan of VFL Park, what actually killed it off was political influence. The MCC Trust feared the MCG losing the Grand Final to Waverley and so used its influence within state government to block moves to expand capacity of VFL Park as well as block moves to build a railway line out to Waverley and Rowville.

Originally, the plans for VFL Park were to eventually expand it to a 160,000 capacity stadium with the Sir Kenneth Luke grandstand extending the whole way around the ground.

A second attempt to expand VFL Park in the early 1980s in time to host the 1984 Grand Final was also blocked.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
I remember it was a shytehole........but we could do with another big stadium again - if only to have every season start at the same stuffing  time.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »
first time i saw Richmond play live was at Waverly, 1980 qualifying final v carlton.

then again the next week in the semi v Geelong.

good memories  :gotigers
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »
While I wasn't a fan of VFL Park, what actually killed it off was political influence. The MCC Trust feared the MCG losing the Grand Final to Waverley and so used its influence within state government to block moves to expand capacity of VFL Park as well as block moves to build a railway line out to Waverley and Rowville.

Originally, the plans for VFL Park were to eventually expand it to a 160,000 capacity stadium with the Sir Kenneth Luke grandstand extending the whole way around the ground.

A second attempt to expand VFL Park in the early 1980s in time to host the 1984 Grand Final was also blocked.
Geez MT, I was only a kid at the time and had no idea all that crap was going on. Doesn't surprise me at all as I bet there were a few "Jock Riley" types floating around the MCC at the time.

I think my love of the ground came from the fact that I didn't have the travel hassles that you and WP had as I lived in Ormond at the time, so for me it was North Rd to Wellington Rd to VFL Park.  :thumbsup It was also a bonus when I played Baseball at Mulgrave I used to duck over after my game was finished to watch matches.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »

This is all true.  The Sir Kenneth Luke Stand was supposed to go around the ground and increase capacity enormously.  It would have been the premier stadium in the world. The MCC blocked this with their power in government.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
You just restated exactly what MT said

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 06:55:58 AM »

This is all true.  The Sir Kenneth Luke Stand was supposed to go around the ground and increase capacity enormously.  It would have been the premier stadium in the world. The MCC blocked this with their power in government.

It would still have had the worst car park in the world.