Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery poised to perform in 2015 AFL season: Ben Griffiths (H-Sun)  (Read 590 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers tall Tyrone Vickery poised to perform in 2015 AFL season: Ben Griffiths

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
February 15, 2015

TYRONE Vickery is ready to turn withering pre-season form into a quality season, according to fellow Tigers forward Ben Griffiths.

Griffiths kept Vickery out of Richmond’s side when he returned from his four-match suspension for striking West Coast’s Dean Cox, but Richmond did play three talls in several games last year.

Vickery and Griffiths are in direct competition if Damien Hardwick plays only one of them alongside star forward Jack Riewoldt.

But the 23-year-old, who played 16 games to reignite his career in 2014, has stripped 3kg and hopes to play alongside the pair in a role higher up the ground.

He says Vickery, who endured one of the toughest seasons of his career, is in marauding form on the training track.

“It is really healthy competition to have. I played pretty well towards the end of the year, but Ty has shown some outstanding form over the pre-season so I think the competition is only going to make us better and then we will leave it up to the coaches to make that decision,’’ he said from the club’s Gippsland community camp.

“I think (Vickery’s) running has improved and he has taken some of the scratch matches by the scruff of the neck, which is really good to see. It makes me want to get better, it makes Jack want to get better and the midfielders certainly get pretty excited (with the options).”

I have trimmed down a little bit so having that extra running ability will help me and I can still be chopping out in the ruck as well.”

Richmond’s training standards and pre-season intensity were famously called out by Ivan Maric last year, with the Tigers desperate not to again fall into that trap.

“(Trent Cotchin) has been really good, he has been training the house down and leading by example and being really demanding of everyone,’’ Griffiths said.

“I think we understand there is going to be a bit of expectation around but it’s focusing on improving each session and getting the most out of everyone. That is our driving force this summer.”

The Tigers now have an established core of senior players but they are being pushed hard by the youngsters.

First-round pick Corey Ellis will take time after foot issues but No. 33 pick Connor Menadue has gained attention for his blistering speed.

“I think Nick Vlastuin and Matt McDonough have shown some pretty good signs over the pre-season and we really need to fast-track our improvement as quickly as we can.

“Menadue has been lighting it up. His running ability is outstanding. Corey has had his little hiccup but seems to be tracking well in rehab.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-tall-tyrone-vickery-poised-to-perform-in-2015-afl-season-ben-griffiths/story-fndv7pj3-1227219768672

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tyrone Vickery poised to perform in 2015 AFL season: Ben Griffiths (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:53:26 AM »
Useless bit of info
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »
Useless bit of info
one consolation his teamates are certainly talking him up. time to put up or go ty.

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
Would be a perfect storm if Vickery, Astbury and Griffiths all mature this year into fine footballers..