Author Topic: How much more improvement can we get out of our list  (Read 2915 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: How much more improvement can we get out of our list
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 05:23:29 AM »
Are we likely to see much overall improvement over the next 2-3 years??? Even though we have a lot of improvement
from kids to look forward to we also have 9 players who turn 28 or older from next year.

Those 28yo+ will have to maintain their 2005 form next year. Alot of them had a top year compared to the previous few seasons. If they drop off then alot more pressure will be placed on our younger guys.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »
also, Daniel Jackson and Andrew Raines must improve- i think they went backwards...Roachy if he went any further backwards hed be in Tassy.

I tend to agree with you on Jackson RT - he certainly didn't progress the way I thought he would - his decision making and disposal were his achilles IMO. I thought Raines was unlucky not to get more game time when he was in the seniors. IMV what became apparent with young Raines was that he has to improve the strength side of his game - he seemed to taken out of contests to easily at times. But I do believe he is along way ahead of Roach & Jackson in his development. Roach was a major disappointment and watching him at Coburg it was clear to me that the coaches really wanted him to improve the defensive side of his game, hence why he spent so much time in the back pocket or off the HBF.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 05:02:47 PM »
Spot on there WP,

I think that Roach had a pretty good second half of the season and really did develop his defensive side a bit. Still got a long way to go but with added strength to his frame, there is no reason why he couldnt develop into a tagger/run with player.

He certainly has the pace to keep up with most players.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 05:27:43 PM »
this i know most of you wont agree with, but id play coughlan at half back as a run with player with the odd excursion onto the ball, his op problems should be minimised and to be honest we need more run from defence. just a thought considering he has done this role before and done it beautifully also remembering his disposal leaves a little to be desired.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 05:40:25 PM »
Wallace was able to squeeze much improvement our of the likes of Pettifer, Newman and Hyde pre-head clash plus stuck Tuck in the midfield. Apart from Lids and our other first round 2004 picks who'll take a couple of years longer than Lids to develop, do you reckon Terry will be able to squeeze much more out of our current list to take the next step in 2006?

If taking the next step means playing finals next year, we could be setting ourselves up to be disappointed.  Nothing’s impossible, but you get the feeling that a lot would have to go our way for that to happen in 2006.

Even if TW can get some further improvement out of the current list, it’s hard to see that alone being enough to take us to the next step.  At this stage, it doesn’t look like there will be too many list changes leading into next year and we don’t know how Browny will come back from his injury.

Going the next step means that a number of players would have to find another gear, and I don’t know if we have enough players who will do that, which makes us predictable, in one sense.  Within reason, we know what to expect from players who are 28+.  What we can expect from those under 21 is a lot more hit and miss.  Even if some of them can maintain some good form throughout the season, to expect 18-21 y.o. players to be consistent and have a major impact at this stage of their careers is expecting a lot.  And we have that missing age bracket in between, which could make all the difference.

So, for me, the next 2-3 years is more important from a development point of view and building the foundations for the future.  Ladder position probably determines whether a team has improved or not, but it doesn’t always tell the real story and, given where our list is at, it shouldn’t really matter where we finish in 2006.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »
If taking the next step means playing finals next year, we could be setting ourselves up to be disappointed.  Nothing’s impossible, but you get the feeling that a lot would have to go our way for that to happen in 2006.

The next step to me is continual improvement and development of our younger players and trying to be competitive as team against the top sides even if we don't make the finals (we'll have a much tougher draw in 2006). Good running sides tore us to pieces this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd