Author Topic: Can Tiges go all the way to the flag? ‘Absolutely’ says Deledio ... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2707 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond now a legitimate premiership chance after knocking off Hawthorn

Herald-Sun
August 01, 2015 10:49AM

IT SEEMS strange for many fans to get their head around but after Friday night — and a look at the Tigers’ results against the AFL’s other heavyweights — one must ask: Can Richmond win the whole thing?

But speaking on Melbourne radio on Saturday - the day after his team took down Hawthorn - Richmond star Brett Deledio says his side had all the confidence in the world it could make a big impression in the finals.

“Absolutely. You’ve got to be in it to win it,” Deledio told Triple M.

“If you’re not keen on winning it then what’s the point in playing? We’re going to give it every crack, that’s for sure.”

The Tigers now seem a legitimate challenger for this year’s AFL premiership after dispatching Hawthorn by 18 points in a cracking contest at the MCG on Friday night.

Each time the Hawks looked like swooping on the once-vulnerable Tigers, Richmond drew on its new-found maturity to steady.

That trait, along with its new, hard-edged approach, has some believing it can go deep into September - and possibly even October when this year’s grand final is played. But how deep is the question?

The Tigers shouldn’t be too fearful of any opponent, with the West Coast Eagles the only side around them they haven’t conquered.

If they can sneak into the top four, they would consider themselves a big chance to make a preliminary final at the very least.

Deledio said travelling interstate held no fears for the Tigers with wins over Fremantle at Subiaco and Sydney at the SCG.

“If you don’t finish in the top two you’re going to have to travel but we’ve got every confidence,” Deledio said.

The Tigers’ look all but assured of another September berth, but just how far they can go will be a hot topic as the Tiger Army gathers over the final month of the home and away season.

Can Damien Hardwick’s men break the club’s 35-year premiership drought, or will it all end in heartache for the Yellow and Black?

Giant-killing Tigers in 2015:

v FREMANTLE

Round 10 - won by 27 points (Subiaco)

Round 17 - lost by 4 points (MCG)

v WEST COAST

Round 11 - lost by 20 points (MCG)

v HAWTHORN

Round 18 - won by 18 points

v SYDNEY SWANS

Round 13 - won by 18 points (SCG)

Can Richmond win the 2015 premiership?

Yes  67.89%  (645 votes)
 No  32.11%  (305 votes)

Total Votes: 950

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-now-a-legitimate-premiership-chance-after-knocking-off-hawthorn/story-fndv8t7m-1227465834452

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Wouldn't it be "deliciously" ironic if we beat Hawthorn in the GF but Rioli won the Norm Smith?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Wouldn't it be "deliciously" ironic if we beat Hawthorn in the GF but Rioli won the Norm Smith?

Where do we sign
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
There's only one medal that counts on Grand Final day and it ain't that one....would still be funny though....

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
If lids, chimp, dusty, rance, jack  all fire together, its possible

Now we have vlastuin, titch, miles too

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I am an apologist but even i know we won't win the flag.

No More

Re: Can Tiges go all the way to the flag? ‘Absolutely’ says Deledio
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »

When the team is playing like it is now there are no apologists, apologists are only around when we don't have a fair dinkum crack and we lose and then they come on here and make excuses. Get on Tiggy Train big fella, Hardwicks got his players playing serious football.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
That's right Ramps. If we can play like that in September we won't be blown off the park and will give the best teams a real scare. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

When the team is playing like it is now there are no apologists, apologists are only around when we don't have a fair dinkum crack and we lose and then they come on here and make excuses. Get on Tiggy Train big fella, Hardwicks got his players playing serious football.

yep exactly and they are no where to be seen at the moment.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »

yep exactly and they are no where to be seen at the moment.

If the Chaplin's griggs Newman's houlis etc. Lose form again, its going to be a big ask to carry them in a finals campaign

Out best are good. But they are not magical
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
There's absolutely no reason as to why we can't. No excuses at all. We've beaten all the best sides apart from WC but we know we can beat them. It's all in the players heads now.. lets see if they can hold it together.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
There's absolutely no reason as to why we can't. No excuses at all. We've beaten all the best sides apart from WC but we know we can beat them. It's all in the players heads now.. lets see if they can hold it together.

Apart from history tells us that premierships are rarely won by teams outside the top 4

That week off is huge

We aren't going to finish top 4 so, the odds are long and it is unlikely

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame

Apart from history tells us that premierships are rarely won by teams outside the top 4

That week off is huge

We aren't going to finish top 4 so, the odds are long and it is unlikely

I think we can finish top 4.. 50/50 I'd say. Win every game from now and we give ourselves a huge chance. Sydney isn't looking great with Tippet having a broken hand I believe and Franklin dealing with injury. Sydney play Geelong and Gold Coast.. 2 games they could let slip I reckon. Bulldogs play west coast, port and north.. all very slippable games for a young team. Things will have to go our way, but win all of our games and we give ourselves a huge chance.