Author Topic: Aker, Hoppers venture into Tigers’ territory (Border Mail)  (Read 348 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Aker, Hoppers venture into Tigers’ territory (Border Mail)
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:27 AM »
Aker, Hoppers venture into Tigers’ territory

Border Mail - Fairfax Regional Media
February 19, 2016

Entering Tiger country would normally be a no-go zone for North Albury players and coaches in pre-season.

But Jason Akermanis and three of his brightest young stars have made an exception, donning the yellow and black of Richmond at Punt Rd – not that of their cross-town rivals Albury.

Lachie Taylor-Nugent, Shaun Mannagh and Dom Brew returned to the Border on Thursday night after a week with the Tigers’ VFL squad under Akermanis' premiership teammate at Brisbane, Craig McRae.

Akermanis said the young Hoppers trio harboured ambitions of playing at a higher level and would benefit from the experience with Richmond during the upcoming Ovens and Murray season.

“These boys are getting a great education,” he said.

“Our footy program is already really good but this will just add some variety, plus a bit more skill development in some areas.

“The best feedback for me as a coach, is that the boys went into midfield training down here and never looked out of place with their decision-making.

“The boys have said, ‘Aker, I knew our programs were great, but I didn’t realise they were this good’.

“There’s no doubt our weights program, our nutrition program, some of our endurance is superior to what we've seen down here.

“It’s been good for the boys to see that.”

Akermanis said Richmond would be keeping a close eye on the Ovens and Murray league in 2016 after launching its academy for indigenous and players from a multicultural background in northern Victoria.

“They have got a big list of names and they are going to be watching all the Ovens and Murray games because it’s part of their area,” he said.

“It's exciting.”

Akermanis, who revealed on Thursday he was interested in the Ovens and Murray interleague job, said he had learnt plenty in his week at Richmond.

The Brownlow medallist took goalkicking training for the Tigers’ VFL team on Wednesday night and spent time with Richmond coach Damien Hardwick and development coach Mark Williams while at Punt Rd.

“Every year I try to get down to one of the AFL teams,” he said.

“We are really happy with the different things we've picked up and the three players have been given a great introduction to the VFL.

“We’ve picked up six or seven drills and a bunch of new ideas as far as ball movement goes.”

The Hoppers will play practice matches against Lavington and Myrtleford before opening the season away to Corowa-Rutherglen on March 26.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/3735818/aker-hoppers-venture-into-tigers-territory/?cs=12