Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference 31-03-16 / Deledio's return an unknown  (Read 1206 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to be Lids-less for Pies

Herald-Sun
March 31, 2016

RICHMOND will again be without midfield star Brett Deledio on Friday night, with coach Damien Hardwick even flagging a potential return to football via the VFL.

Deledio injured his quad during the NAB Challenge and is still struggling to kick, with ruckman Ivan Maric also remaining sidelined.

It had been reported Deledio was set to face a fitness test at Punt Road on Thursday, but he wasn’t sighted.

Hardwick says while he’d love to say Deledio will be back for Round 3, he isn’t sure.

“I’d like to say he’d play next week but then he has only played a half over the course of the pre-season thus far,” he said.

“We don’t have the luxury of the sub anymore which is in my opinion a good thing but it probably goes against Brett. He might play his first VFL game for a period of time.

“He’s running pretty much at full speed. The problem is kicking ... when he does that he’s still got a bit of pain, so we’ve got to make sure we don’t push him and make sure he’s right.”

In better news, Shaun Grigg will return after suffering a broken thumb in the team’s final NAB Challenge hitout.

The Tigers face Collingwood on Friday night and are looking to fire after what Hardwick admits - despite getting the four points - was a sub-par performance against Carlton last week.

“We reviewed it as a loss. We’d lose most weeks playing that,” he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/brett-deledio-to-miss-richmonds-clash-against-collingwood-with-ongoing-quad-injury/news-story/2bac0a9fe421df2d4ed310438e7c1580

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers star Brett Deledio still feeling 'acute' pain (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
Tigers star Brett Deledio still feeling 'acute' pain

Jon Pierik
The Age
March 31, 2016

Richmond stars Brett Deledio and Ivan Maric have been ruled out of Friday night's blockbuster against Collingwood through injury.

Deledio (quad) and Maric (back) missed the opening-round win over Carlton and will require more rehabilitation before they are considered for selection.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said on Thursday that Deledio was still feeling "acute" discomfort when he kicked, and may yet be forced to return through the VFL.

"He won't play this week. I would like to see he will play next week but then he hasn't played football - he has only played a half over the course of the pre-season thus far. So, we will just have to see how that pans out," Hardwick said.

"We don't have the luxury of the sub anymore which, in my opinion, is a good thing, but it probably goes against Brett in a way. We'll have to wait and see, he might have to play his first VFL game for a period if time.

"He is running pretty much at full speed. The problem is, the kick, kicking which is a obviously fundamental of our game, when he does that he still has some acute pain. We just have to make sure we don't push him and when he comes back, he is right."

Shaun Grigg (thumb) will return while a replacement for Shane Edwards (hand fracture) may need to be found elsewhere.

The Tigers limped over the line in a nine-point win over the Blues in round one, when they were forced to rally in a final-quarter comeback against a side expected to finish near the foot of the ladder.

Hardwick said he expects his side to lift the intensity against a Magpies' unit seething after an 80-point loss to the Swans.

"We were probably a little bit disappointed in the way we performed from a team point of view and individually as well," he said.

"We were very fortunate to get away with the four points. Our players walk away from our Monday review that we firmly have some work to do and we have to put in a better performance this week. (We) probably reviewed it as a loss really.

"We weren't happy with the way we played and we will make sure we come out playing a hell of a lot better this week."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-richmond-star-brett-deledio-still-feeling-acute-pain-20160330-gnup79.html

Gigantor

Re: Hardwick's press conference 31-03-16 / Deledio's return an unknown
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
Dimma is saying"a little disappointed"....I reckon awful would describe the performance better

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
oh look....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Gone for 4-5 weeks obviously. Club just being cagey arseholes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-03-31/hardwick-press-conference-march-31st

Hardwick said Deledio could struggle to return in round three, given his only half of football this year came in the final round of the NAB Challenge.

"I'd like to say he'll play next week, but then he hasn't played football, he's only played a half over the course of the pre-season.

Both Deledio and Maric could be looking at VFL returns in the coming weeks after extended periods out of full training.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-03-31/deledio-maric-ruled-out-of-pies-clash

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
Here's Lids talking to Richo:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-03-31/richos-oneonone-deledio

-----------------------------------------

* I’m running quite strongly at the moment. I’m getting plenty of kilometres into my legs.  It’s just kicking at the moment. If you could handball goals, I’d probably be a chance to play, but unfortunately you have to kick them. It’s not ideal.  I’ve just got to start off with a little footy that’s similar to the one I’ve got for (his daughter) Milla at home, kick that around, then progress up to the ones we use.

* When I first did it, I thought anywhere under four weeks was really good, but it’s something I really don’t want to rush. As soon as you come back too early, you kick and you nick it again, then you’re out for another three or four weeks. We will be cautious with it just to get it right. The season’s only young and I’ve actually got to get a bit of footy under my belt.  I’ve only played 60 minutes so far.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-03-31/patience-is-key-says-deledio