Author Topic: About time Tigers’ first-rounders lifted: Wallace (SEN)  (Read 342 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
About time Tigers’ first-rounders lifted: Wallace (SEN)
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:53:25 PM »
About time Tigers’ first-rounders lifted: Wallace

Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
04 Apr 2016, 01:16PM

It is well and truly time for the group of recent first-round draft picks at Richmond to stand up and deliver when the team needs it the most, says Terry Wallace.

Scrutiny has again been directed at the Tigers’ list after another underwhelming start to a season that many expected ought to be a prominent one for an experienced group.

“A few of those first-round picks for Richmond have really got to step up and play some serious footy,” said Wallace on SEN radio.

“You go through them, well Conca’s been out injured so it’s a bit hard on him but he’s been in the system long enough now and really hasn’t risen to a pick six.

“Corey Ellis is another one, Nick Vlastuin is a good player for them but I think he still has another level he can go to – he should eventually be playing through the middle of the ground.”

More than that, the former Tigers coach believes there may not be room in the team for two big men that were selected with a top-ten and twenty pick.

“Ben Griffiths was another one of those, I think he was about pick 19 or something – he is very much a mark and kick player, ground level and second efforts is the worry,” said Wallace.

“I sit there and say can you play Vickery, Griffiths and your ruckman in the same side?  They’re a bit too similar so I think one of those might go.”

Wallace also pointed out that he believes Brandon Ellis is being ushered out of the midfield by coach Damien Hardwick because he has struggled to have an impact in big games.

“He has (stalled a little bit),” he said of Ellis’ development.

“The last couple of seasons have been outstanding but poor finals campaigns, he hasn’t been able to step up in the finals.

“Hasn’t had the same start to the season this year, they’ve been trying to work him a little bit off half back because he hasn’t been able to find the ball in finals.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/03-16/about-time-tigers-first-rounders-lifted-wallace#JWEy5sBd9qGxpY8b.97