Author Topic: Tigers have been caught out by style of football this year: Rance (H-Sun)  (Read 1082 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tross' presser today:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-06-09/rance-press-conference-june-9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex Rance says Richmond has been caught out by the style of football being played this year

LAUREN WOOD
Herald Sun
June 9, 2016 10:28am

RICHMOND star Alex Rance says the Tigers simply have to stop bombing long down the line if they expect to turn their fortunes around.

Rance said the Tigers “could have” been caught out by the quick style of game that has been on show so far this year.

“We could have done, I don’t know,” he said.

“We’re just about our process and the fact that it’s able to combat different game styles and things like that.

“We probably kick along down the line a bit too much at the moment, which really plays into a lot of other teams’ defences hands, so they can rebound pretty quickly.

“You’re not really going to win a lot of games if you’re just going to be kicking long down the line.

“That’s one thing that is pretty well publicised that we need to improve on, and we’ll do that.”

Richmond plays Gold Coast on Sunday in a game Rance said the Tigers — who had a confronting review session after last week’s loss to North Melbourne — are expecting to be anything but “a cakewalk”.

He expects to face key Sun Tom Lynch, along with spending some time on “two-metre Peter” Wright.

Skipper Trent Cotchin didn’t train today due to illness but he is expected to play.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-form/alex-rance-says-richmond-has-been-caught-out-by-the-style-of-football-being-played-this-year/news-story/a43ff3d74e786c566df883866ba55557

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond still believes it can play finals this year and will want its skipper to be fit and firing for the must-win clash against the struggling Suns.

Star defender Alex Rance said: "You're always playing to win so if you're not playing for finals then there's something wrong."

The Tigers are still stinging from a scathing in-house review of last Friday's loss to the Roos and Rance wasn't hiding from the disappointment of the 70-point defeat, which leaves the team in 14th position, just one spot ahead of the Suns.

"There were a lot of glaring mistakes and issues that we want to stamp out so they don't become habit," Rance said.

Despite their ladder position, the two-time All Australian wasn't conceding that their season was done and dusted. 

Rance admitted the Tigers may have been caught out by the quicker style of game this season.

"We probably kick along down the line a bit too much at the moment, which really plays into a lot of other team's defence's hands, so they can rebound pretty quickly," he said.

"You're not really going to win a lot of games if you're just going to be kicking long down the line.

"That's one thing that is pretty well publicised that we need to improve on, and we'll do that."

While Richmond wants to make a statement about its season, Rance believed the Suns - who haven't won since round three - wouldn't let them have it all their own way.

"Over the last four weeks they're number four for contested ball and tackles so it's definitely not going to be walk in the park," Rance said.

He expects to line-up on key Sun Tom Lynch, who he rated as the top forward in the competition at the moment.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-09/richmond-star-mid-misses-training-with-illness

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Yep caught out at the start of a season...three years running....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Kicking long is their only option because of the pressure and combative style of every other clu playing 2016 football.
Dimmer still uses the gameplan that won hawthorn their first flag under Clarke because the idiot thinks he co-devised it.lol
So, Alex, we end up bombing long because of

You can't win a game relying on outdated structures and aged processes that ultimately turn the team into statisticians.

Whate a stuffn joke he is.

He can shove his rubbish process approach up his lemon.

Imbecile.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
I thought the headline was "Tigers caught out by shyte football this year"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
LMFAO.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Yep caught out at the start of a season...three years running....

:clapping :clapping :clapping....This is exactly correct and lines up with what I said about the players we have recruited. When we recruited taller bigger players the rest of the comp recruited smaller faster players. Then we recruited the smaller faster players and they recruited utilities that were bigger and taller. This year we went for speed and skinny players and the rest went for bigger bodied running players....we can't get the year right.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
We start slow every year because the players brains are fried having to listen to and practice hardwicks game plan for 4 months straight over the pre seaon.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
What is wrong with this club it has too air all its problems to the media. Don't talk about them. FIX THEM  :banghead

Shut all your mouths down there & play football

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I reckon we are badly caught out by the out of bounds rule.  We use stoppages as a team a lot but with no out of bounds its much less effective.
I'm sure someone will come up with a stat comparing last year to this year on numbers of stoppages soon.