Author Topic: Matt White picked up in the PSD  (Read 1566 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Matt White picked up in the PSD
« on: December 13, 2005, 10:08:49 AM »
Matt White picked up in the PSD.

Well done X. You read Miller's bluff  ;)

The blues, pies, Hawks or bombers must have wanted him as we used our PSD pick. I wonder where that leaves how many rookies we get?!

Hgt: 178cm Wgt: 74kg

That's now 4 small guys on our list  :-\ - Rodan, Krakouer, Foley and now White. It's going to be pretty competitive amongst these guys to keep their spot on our list. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Matt White picked up in the PSD
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:19:31 AM »
Matt White

Details:
Club: Sunbury/Calder Cannons
DOB: 15 April 1987 Hgt: 178cm Wgt: 74kg
Position: Midfield
Natural Foot: Right

Honours:
Vic Metro U16 2003
Victorian Screening 2004
Victorian Screening 2005

Articles:
Marathon man Matt fires the Cannons - Herald Sun June 11th 2005

Statistics:
2004 TAC Cup: 16 games, 5 goals, 10.8 PPG
2005 TAC Cup: 15 games, 7 goals, average 19.1 PPG, 9 times in best

Awards:
TAC Cup Morrish Medal: 11 votes
TAC Cup Coaches Award: 16 votes

Background:
Made his TAC Cup debut back in 2003 as a 16 year old for the Calder Cannons and also represented Vic Metro U16 in the same year. In his 17 year old season at the Cannons he played 16 matches and was looked at in Victorian State Screening but passed on in the draft. A bad run with injuries this season saw him miss vital finals matches and also miss the Under-18 championships. His explosive pace is by far his greatest attribute, and he is more than capable around stoppages.

Strengths:
- Pace – line breaker/ball carrier
- Good in close/stoppages
- Strong endurance runner
- Good 1%ers

Weaknesses:
- Missed a lot of footy with injury this year
- Can be hit and miss with his disposal by foot
- He doesn’t take many marks – average 1.7 per game in 2004 and 2.7 per game in 2005

Footydraft.com comment:
Has played some terrific footy, but the consistency has not been there this year due to injury problems. It was also a bit surprising to see him only be nominated for screening. Given those two factors, he might slip down the draft order a bit. Could go as early as mid to late second round or slip right down into the 50s but it would be a surprise to see him miss being drafted.

http://footydraft.com/players.php?player=matt_white

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 10:46:57 AM »
looks like more explosive pace  :thumbsup

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 03:07:04 PM »
Either Miller didn't call someones bluff, or someone was going to rookie him!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
i always new we would pick someone up, richmond were bluffing all along and i had a hunch. lets hope now this kid pays off , looks like pace pace pace is the order of the day esp with these new rules.
miller is sly, u cant always believe all he says, and credit to the tigers , as they are finally able to keep most things in house

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »
Either Miller didn't call someones bluff, or someone was going to rookie him!

Looks like it Razor - MIller said on SEN that Collingwood had been speaking to him. And they had a rookie pick before us

Refer the Rookie draft thread
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
White dons yellow and black (The Age)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 04:16:39 AM »
White dons yellow and black
By Emma Quayle
The Age
December 14, 2005

Photo: Wayne Taylor

MATT White was watching the Wiggles when he became a Richmond player with the fifth pick in yesterday's pre-season draft.

Overlooked on national draft day, White started training at Punt Road two days later. He beat the entire Richmond senior squad in the endurance run, matched Brett Deledio for speed and hoped he had done enough to be picked up as a rookie.

That plan changed when the Tigers became concerned that Collingwood would jump in ahead of them, so they bumped the Calder Cannon up from their favoured first rookie to the pre-season selection they had said they probably would not make.

"I didn't even bother listening to the pre-season draft because I didn't think my chances there were that good. I was flicking around the TV just waiting for the rookie draft, then my dad came in and told me what had happened," White said.

"I thought there was way more chance of being rookied. I thought that was the spot I was going for, so it was a pretty big shock."

White moved from the Cannons' half-back line to the midfield this year, but a fractured ankle kept him out of the under-18 championships mid-season, and he missed two of Calder's first three finals with a hamstring strain. He picked up his black-and-yellow gear yesterday with fellow Cannon Angus Graham, who arrived at Calder from King Island via Assumption College, while teammates James Wall and Shane Neaves ended up at Sydney and Melbourne.

White is another drafted graduate of Essendon Keilor College, which has prepared the likes of Brent Reilly, Andrew Welsh, Brad Murphy, Ryan Crowley, Brock McLean, Lynden Dunn and Carlton rookie Jesse Smith for an AFL start.

The Tigers finished up by adding delisted West Coast midfielder Jeremy Humm and Cameron Howat, a tagging type from Box Hill, to their rookie list, with Humm coming into contention only over last weekend, when the Tigers saw that he was still young enough.

Between training yesterday morning, yoga yesterday afternoon and a boxing session this morning, White did not expect to spend long celebrating. "I might go out for dinner with the parents tonight, but that's about all. We're straight into training, which is good," he said.

"It's good that I'm on the list now but for me, there's probably no difference between this and being on the rookie list. I'm still going to have to work hard to make something happen."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/12/13/1134236065480.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 09:10:56 AM »
Seen White play 2 matches and he can win his fair share of the ball at stoppages, his pace (is as good as Lids and Tambling IMO) allows him to jet off away from his opponents easily, and has the endurance to run the length of the field for the majority of a match. But his kicking is absolute sh!thouse, makes Techno and Harts kicking look top class IMHO.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 08:36:45 PM »
Happy with White.

Looks a player.