Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference/ 'We don't ride emotional rollercoasters'  (Read 426 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Dimma's post-match presser:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-08-05/round-20-hardwick-postmatch

----------------------------------------------------------------

* Good to have a win. Played a Collingwood side that's been in form. Captain lead the way and the group gathered around him and responded.

* How many goals did they get from frees? Hmmmm ...

* Played two good sides in Hawthorn and GWS. They are better than us. Tonight our second tier (Ellis, Vlastuin) stood up and the younger guys played well.

* Oleg covers the ground, can change his mind and runs. Short played well too. We've found some kids which is good. Rioli showed glimpses too.

* Hunt has his detracters but gets the job done. Love the way he goes about his role. Moore was good too. Key soldiers for your footy club. They get the job done for you.

* Cotch's last quarter was outstanding.

* We've underperformed this year no doubt but we stick to our processes. We stuck to them last week, we'll stick to them this week.

* Looks to the support of Peggy, Benny and co. give him. Wouldn't be questioning the Board in any way. Zero debt and 70k+ members.

* Clearances work early was poor. Something we need to work on. Set-up at bounces wasn't right. Change our boots.

* Didn't play Houli down back so that Oleg and Short can play there.

* Rance - you can just have confidence in him beating his opponent. I'm very lucky to have him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:11:53 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'We don't ride emotional rollercoasters': Hardwick (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »
'We don't ride emotional rollercoasters': Hardwick

AFL.com.au
6 August 2016

RICHMOND is determined to stay off the "emotional rollercoaster" after a backs-to-the-wall win that shapes as a pressure release for coach Damien Hardwick and his team.

The Tigers overcame a tumultuous week off field to deliver one of their grittiest wins of the season on Friday night, holding firm against Collingwood to win by 15 points at the MCG.

It prompted an outpouring of emotion from the players and fans, and Hardwick allowed himself the luxury of singing along as the players belted out the song for the eighth time this season.

But after back-to-back losses against Hawthorn and Greater Western Sydney had plunged the club close to crisis, the coach kept perspective after the match.   

"Within club-land we don't ride the emotional rollercoasters external people do," he said.

"We realise we've been under-performing this year, absolutely, but our process doesn't change.

"This week was no different to last week, and it'll be no different next week.

"Emotional rollercoasters we leave to external sources and we just worry about what we can control, and that's trying to win as many games as we can."

When asked what he would say to those agitating for change to the club's board on Friday night, the coach said that was not an issue for him to worry about.

"I've got to look at the tremendous support Peggy (O'Neal) and her board have given me, (football manager) Dan Richardson, (CEO) Brendon Gale," he said.

"Where this club is placed at the moment, with zero debt and 70-odd thousand members, I wouldn't be questioning the board in any way."

O'Neal spoke with fighting spirit in her pre-game address on Friday night, telling the faithful the club would not be handed over to board challengers on her watch.

The players backed up the president, overcoming a slow start and taking "a real step forward", according to Hardwick. 

While thrilled with the form of fifth-gamer Oleg Markov (26 possessions and 10 rebounds), the coach wanted to pay tribute to 100-gamer Taylor Hunt. 

"It (the form of young players) is exciting, but I look at a guy like Taylor Hunt who continues to have his detractors, but he just gets the job done for me every week," Hardwick said.

"He played his 100th game tonight, he's played 40-odd for us, and I just love the way he goes about his role.

"Those sort of players - Andrew Moore was terrific tonight - they're just key soldiers for your footy club.

"They play their role week-in, week-out and get the job done for us."

Captain Trent Cotchin was also praised by the coach for an enormous fourth quarter in which he won five of the team's 10 clearances.

The coach couldn't, however, resist a quip at the umpiring early when the Tigers fell 25 points down.

"It was just early. I think if you were from America you got a free kick there for a while, but anyway, it comes and goes," he said.

American ruckman Mason Cox kicked two of the Magpies' opening four goals, with the second a result of a free kick given away by defender David Astbury.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-06/we-dont-ride-emotional-rollercoasters-hardwick

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick mobbed by his players post win (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 03:13:23 AM »
Hardwick mobbed by his players post win

Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
6 August 2016

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick was embraced by his players after a week under the pump, but is adamant his team won’t be drawn into riding the “emotional rollercoaster”.

The coach was mobbed by his players following the victorious team song in the rooms post-game — the 15-point victory coming after a week of heat for Hardwick and his charges, who prevailed under Friday night lights following a walloping at the hands of Greater Western Sydney the week before.

“I was just really happy for them that they responded,” Hardwick said.

“We had been really disappointing the last two weeks and we had played two pretty good sides in Hawthorn and GWS.
Richmond players embrace Damien Hardwick. Picture: Getty Images.

“For the players to respond and play as well as they did — I thought our good players played well. Those next tier of players who are looking to jump up.

“It was really pleasing. Our fans will walk away and will be happy with the effort the guys gave.”

The Tigers “have something to play for again”, Hardwick says, and will be looking to get him his first win over the Cats since he took the reins as coach in 2010.

But they won’t be sucked into the emotion of a win like Friday night, with Hardwick declaring it will be business as usual at Punt Road.

“We don’t ride the emotional rollercoaster that outside people do. We understand that we’ve been under-performing this year,” he said.

“But our process doesn’t change. We still go about it and prepare the same way this week, no different to last week, which will be no different to next week. The emotional rollercoaster — we leave to the external sources. We just worry about what we can control and that’s trying to win as many football games as we can.

“We’re 8-11 now … I haven’t beaten Geelong since I’ve been here but it gives the players something to play for again, which is exciting.”

Skipper Trent Cotchin conceded the team had “underperformed” but that the effort in its response had impressed him.

But he insisted they are anything but done yet.

“The effort across the board was fantastic. That was what we’ve been asking of guys,” he said post-game.

“To come back out with the backs against the wall and perform well for four quarters is a credit to the guys, but the reality is, we still have a lot of work to do.”

Star forward Jack Riewoldt equalled his season-best in front of goal with four majors, and said the win was “very important” not only for “the players and the club, but most importantly for our fans”.

Alex Rance starred Friday night, with Hardwick admitting his presence is calming.

“The ball gets kicked to him in a one-on-one contest and I actually breathe easy, thinking ‘he’s going to win it’,” he said.

“He’s an incredible player.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-says-the-tigers-wont-be-drawn-into-riding-the-emotional-rollercoaster/news-story/3ffbdcddb948b373828d592efa21ff2e