Author Topic: Congratulations Dan Rioli --- Rising Star nomination round 22  (Read 635 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Congratulations Dan Rioli --- Rising Star nomination round 22
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »
Rising Star nomination today  :cheers
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:39:21 PM by one-eyed »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Congratulations Dan Rioli --- Rising Star nomination round 22
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
Rioli wins Rising Star nomination

Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au 
August 22, 2016 8:00 PM

Exciting Richmond small forward Daniel Rioli is the Round 22 AFL Rising Star nominee.

Rioli, who was the Tigers’ first pick (No. 15 overall) in the 2015 National Draft, produced the best performance of his debut league football season against St Kilda at the MCG last Saturday.

He picked up 16 disposals, took four marks, had four tackles, kicked two goals and worked hard throughout to provide the Richmond team with a spark through his elite speed, energy and impressive skill level.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said he is impressed with the teenager’s progress.

“We can already see Daniel’s potential as an AFL player, and he’s working incredibly hard to continue to add to his game," Hardwick said.

“With his speed, agility and good decision making, he’s an exciting player to watch, and will help to take our team forward in the years to come.” 

The 19-year-old has been a valuable contributor in 17 senior appearances for the Tigers this season.

His consistency is reflected in the fact he has kicked two goals five times this season.

He’s ranked ninth among the league’s rising stars for total goals in 2016, with 13, and is ranked equal seventh for goal assists, with 10.

Rioli is Richmond’s first AFL Rising Star nominee for 2016.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-08-22/rioli-wins-rising-star-nomination

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cyril Rioli's advice to nephew Daniel pays off (afl site)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:01 PM »
Cyril Rioli's advice to nephew Daniel pays off

Ben Guthrie 
AFL.com.au
August 22, 2016 8:00 PM

RICHMOND's Daniel Rioli does not need to look far when searching for a star player to model his game around.

In fact he doesn't need to look outside his family, with uncle Cyril – the reigning Norm Smith medallist from Hawthorn –only too happy to act as a sounding board whenever Daniel needs to run something by him.

"I watched him a lot as a kid. Going to school at St Patrick's College in Ballarat, I'd usually catch the train and stay at his place on the weekends and watch him play," Rioli told AFL.com.au.

"I try to model my game on him. He's a small forward and I'm a small forward now so we play a similar role.

"He's given me a lot of advice and tells me to treat each game like just another game of footy and that's helped a lot."

Daniel Rioli has demonstrated this season that there are aspects of Cyril's game that have transferred down the family line to him.

Rioli's exploits were on show for the Tigers at the MCG on Saturday, as the 19-year-old kicked two goals from 16 touches and chased and pressured relentlessly to earn himself the round 22 nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star.

Tackling is a facet of his game that Rioli prides himself on.

"With my tackling and my pressure, I practice it at training a lot. As a kid I went to school in Darwin and I played a bit of muck around rugby," he said.

"I love tackling and I try to bring that into my footy now. As a small forward, we're paid to kick goals and provide pressure up forward as well.

"Cyril tackles really well and I'm trying to take that next step like him."

Another mentor of Rioli's is coach Damien Hardwick, whom he also happens to live with as the Hardwicks act as the youngster's host family.

"I get on with his family really well," Rioli said.

"Staying with 'Dimma' is pretty good actually. He's not all footy at home which is good."

Rioli moved to Victoria from the Tiwi Islands in the Northern Territory five years ago.

He played his junior football for St Mary's Football Club but moved to Ballarat's St Patrick's College in year nine as a boarder.

"I moved away from home at a young age and it's pretty much the same now that I've moved to Melbourne, so I've had that experience before," he said.

Rioli has played 17 games and kicked 13 goals for the Tigers and has been a definitive bright spot out of a disappointing season.

He has his sights set on being more versatile as his career goes on with more midfield time in the offing.

"In the future I'd love to move into the midfield but I'm still working on getting stronger. I'm not too fussed where I'm playing right now and moving into the midfield over the next few years is another step forward," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/cyril-riolis-advice-to-nephew-daniel-pays-off

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Congratulations Dan Rioli
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:38 PM »
Well deserved

But feel a bit for Mrakov. He should have one too
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rising star Rioli can’t wait to go fishing (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »
Rising star Rioli can’t wait to go fishing

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
22 August 2016

DANIEL Rioli will be chasing animals in the wild instead of the Sherrin soon after Saturday’s game against Sydney.

The clever Richmond forward — who underlined an impressive debut season with a NAB Rising Star nomination — can’t wait to ret­urn to the Tiwi Islands.

“I’ll go fishing and hunting and shooting and might go camping as well and just hang out with the family as much as I can,” he said.

“It meant a lot actually (to go home). I’ve been away from home a fair bit now, I’ve been to Ballarat for four years for school and every time I get back home I make the most of it.

Rioli said it was a special moment to be given the No.17 Richmond guernsey his grandfather Maurice Rioli wore with distinction, and the nomina­tion came after his 17th game.

Rioli, the first Tiger to be recognised this season, backed Western Bulldog Caleb Daniel to take out the prize.

The crafty small forward rocketed up the rankings last year with a sizzling draft combine and then starred in the Grand Final curtainraiser on the MCG before his “uncle” Cyril won the Norm Smith.

Since arriving at Punt Rd, Rioli has been working closely with fellow goalkickers Shane Edwards and Jack Riewoldt.

“As soon as I set foot in Punt Rd I had Shane Edwards, another indigenous player, and Jack Riewoldt taking me under their wing,” Rioli said.

“We all play up forward and Shane I learn off with his crumbing patterns and my tackling, and with Jack it’s my leading patterns and structures.

“He’s been a big influence as well.”

Rioli’s 2016 highlight was debuting in Round 1 in front of 75,706 fans, and he’ll be barracking for Cyril in the finals.

“I’m pretty stoked (with my season) actually,” he said.

“I’ve played a couple of games and it’s helped a lot with my confidence and hopefully in the future I’ll play a bit more.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/rising-star-award-daniel-rioli-receives-round-22-nomination/news-story/9757c05f539789c4546e42f4fee016b3

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
Definitely well deserved.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
 :clapping