Author Topic: Richmond hasn't been 'good enough' at the draft in 6 years: Wallace (H-Sun)  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond hasn't been 'good enough' at the draft in 6 years: Wallace (H-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 10:47:31 PM »

BEllis- I wish he was leaving/soft/scared/massive fail

I'll probably cop a lot for this but I don't think Ellis has been a massive fail. Don't take this the wrong way though, I still think he needs to be moved on or pull his finger out (yes he fluffs the kicks and is scared of contact and that is unlikely to change but if it can, he needs to do it).

But he shouldn't have really been a first round recruit. He was pick 15, after all of GWS's concessions. They were able to sign 12 players better than Ellis before they even entered the draft. Factor in their ability to recruit players who weren't previously drafted but had nominated (we did get Steve Morris this way but also Jamie Elliot is another example) and suddenly our pick 15 was realistically on the ~30th best player that was draftable. The fact Ellis also performed reasonably (ignoring the squibbing) early and then plateaued probably makes things look worse as well. But I think we have got a decent return for a player recruited way earlier than he should have been (not the RFC's fault) but it's now time to either move him on or get more out of him.

Yeah but really good players can be picked at 30+ like Paul Chapman or Dane Swan. Sure he's not a total fail but he isn't great either. Maybe it is the coaching. That's what the review must have identified or why dump the coaching staff. Maybe it identified recruiting too and that will play out at the end of the draft. Given as yet we don't have the review it's quite possible recruiting will go too. I think it's mostly our recruiting, for me superior sportsmen show out by their teenage years in some way. We just dont have the recruiting team that can judge cattle.

really good players can be picked up at any pick, rookie included.

it doesnt happen very often after 20 though.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

BEllis- I wish he was leaving/soft/scared/massive fail

I'll probably cop a lot for this but I don't think Ellis has been a massive fail. Don't take this the wrong way though, I still think he needs to be moved on or pull his finger out (yes he fluffs the kicks and is scared of contact and that is unlikely to change but if it can, he needs to do it).

But he shouldn't have really been a first round recruit. He was pick 15, after all of GWS's concessions. They were able to sign 12 players better than Ellis before they even entered the draft. Factor in their ability to recruit players who weren't previously drafted but had nominated (we did get Steve Morris this way but also Jamie Elliot is another example) and suddenly our pick 15 was realistically on the ~30th best player that was draftable. The fact Ellis also performed reasonably (ignoring the squibbing) early and then plateaued probably makes things look worse as well. But I think we have got a decent return for a player recruited way earlier than he should have been (not the RFC's fault) but it's now time to either move him on or get more out of him.

Yeah but really good players can be picked at 30+ like Paul Chapman or Dane Swan. Sure he's not a total fail but he isn't great either. Maybe it is the coaching. That's what the review must have identified or why dump the coaching staff. Maybe it identified recruiting too and that will play out at the end of the draft. Given as yet we don't have the review it's quite possible recruiting will go too. I think it's mostly our recruiting, for me superior sportsmen show out by their teenage years in some way. We just dont have the recruiting team that can judge cattle.

really good players can be picked up at any pick, rookie included.

it doesnt happen very often after 20 though.

I love the old "yeah but this good player was picked late". For every good player there's 10 duds so any serviceable player after 20-30 (depending on depth of the draft) I don't consider a massive fail

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »

Terry, he is the oracle this man.  We must get him back, his wisdom and insight is...wise and insightful
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »

Terry, he is the oracle this man.  We must get him back, his wisdom and insight is...wise and insightful
He's like an annoying backseat driver. Great when he can criticise but terrible when put in the driver's seat. :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »

He's like an annoying backseat driver. Great when he can criticise but terrible when put in the driver's seat. :whistle
Agree, wallace is the most irritating journo, stuffed up Dogs and RFC.
Should not be allowed any air time.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »

You've pegged him there.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 11:00:07 PM »

Take the fact out that he was a poo coach for us, he makes sense on list management now. And not afraid to say it unlike some other spineless media people that just want to be friends with everyone.

Our recruiting has been poohouse and he right.