Author Topic: Yze's post-game presser / Our supporters would've been proud of the effort  (Read 171 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Yze's post-match presser:

VIDEO: https://www.afl.com.au/video/1139006/full-post-match-r11-tigers

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I feel like our supporters would have been proud of the effort" - Yze

Sarah Black
AFL media
26 May 2024

Richmond coach Adem Yze coached from the bench, saying it was an attempt to keep his players' spirits up, focused on the task at hand and not dropping their heads when things went awry.

"I feel like our supporters would have been proud of the effort, that's what we expect every week. But part of that is there's an honesty around the way we review the game, and there's still elements of our game (where) we're not good enough," Yze said.

"The main thing was around our spirit and energy and doing our jumper proud, and we expect to do that every week. That's the standard we want, it was a great game of footy, credit to Essendon, their execution was very, very good in the (dewy) conditions.

"We still gave them too many goals from our back-end, things we can control. We'll look at that honestly again, train it, hopefully get better and don't do it against Geelong."

Yze brought Samson Ryan into the forward line, swinging Noah Balta back to defence for the first time this season.

"I wish we had two of him. I just feel like he's a terrific threat forward of the ball, he's a powerful athlete, they're hard to find, good forwards. Obviously when [Tom Lynch] was out earlier in the season, we thought that combination could be really potent, with Josh Gibcus (also) going down," Yze said.

"We just didn't look stable down back. He's a big presence, he's a good leader around our footy club, and we just wanted to try something different.

"He was solid down back, and there was a discussion about whether we threw him forward during the last half as well, so credit to him, he's such an important player for us, and he worked his way into the game nicely again."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1136724/scott-praises-talented-mr-ripley-and-beefed-up-backline

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
In an unprecedented sight, Yze was coaching from the boundary line for large portions of the game. He explained his reasoning for the decision.

“Going down to the bench tonight was just more around our spirit and just making sure that we’re staying within the game,” Yze clarified.

“There (are) so many momentum shifts in the game these days. You look at it every game, there’s four or five-goal swings each week, and last night was the same sort of thing in the Collingwood (and Fremantle) game.

“Because we’ve got so many young players that, if teams kick two or three goals, it just seemed like we were losing spirit and getting a little bit lost down there, and it’s a little bit t0o long to wait until quarter-time (to regroup).

“That was just an idea to just get down there and obviously help with our players and make sure they stay engaged, and just keep their morale when things weren’t going our way.

“I think there were a couple of times tonight when we did look like we were falling away, but we fought back and got ourselves back in the game and had an opportunity to win the game late. That was the only reason I did that.”

Asked if it would be a continuing theme, the first-year Richmond mentor confirmed as much but hoped his side could cope without it going forward.

“Yeah, it will be (a continuing theme),” Yze declared.

“But at the same time, there will hopefully be opportunities where we don’t have those issues and then I can go upstairs, because it is hard to see the structure and some system and method things from downstairs.

“You miss the opportunity to see what’s happening on the other side of the ground. But, to our coaches’ credit, we were all over it today structurally (and) communication was really strong, so I felt really comfortable down there — there’s no reason why I won’t keep doing it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-adem-yze-shares-update-on-shai-bolton-injury-concussion-protocols-tylar-young-acl-update-richmond-tigers-loss-to-essendon-bombers-dreamtime-at-the-g-comments-reaction-latest-news/news-story/f63d62dc8d5e496aa89ef9dc773757eb