Author Topic: Talking Tigers: List management special / Talls high on Tigers’ 2017 agenda  (Read 1684 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:00:43 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Talls high on Tigers’ 2017 agenda

richmondfc.com.au
8 December 2016

Hartley explains draft philosophy Head of Player Personnel & List Management, Blair Hartley describes why using the recent AFL National Draft to bolster the Tigers midfield and small forward stocks now leaves Richmond extremely well placed to add some tall talent via next year's draft.

Having bolstered its midfield and small forward stocks in the recent AFL National Draft, Richmond is now extremely well placed to add some tall talent via next year’s draft.

The Tigers snared exciting WA prospect Shai Bolton with their first pick (No. 29 overall) in the 2016 National Draft and used their second selection (No. 53 overall) on impressive, young SA inside midfielder Jack Graham.

During the trade period that preceded the draft, they secured the services of quality, mature-age midfield pair Dion Prestia (from Gold Coast) and Josh Caddy (Geelong).

Richmond also received Geelong’s 2017 first-round pick and Greater Western Sydney’s 2017 third-round pick, as part of the trade deal that saw veteran Tigers star Brett Deledio join GWS.

“It was part of our strategy, looking at this year’s (national) draft and knowing that it was more of a midfielder’s draft,” Richmond’s Head of Player Personnel and List Management Blair Hartley said on the Club’s official podcast ‘Talking Tigers’.

“We felt Shai (Bolton) was the best player at that pick . . .

“A number of talls went between those picks (Bolton at 29 and Graham at 53).

“But we go into next year knowing that we have the two first-round draft picks, and there’s a fair depth of ‘talls’ in the draft.

“It’s something that we need to assess going forward.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-12-08/talls-high-on-tigers-2017-agenda

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Name 5 talls we have drafted groomed and have become standout players for RFC and who could be regarded as elite players?
Richo
Rance
Jack
????

IMO generally talls come on when about 23/24 yo ish.

Is it better to swap picks for established talls??

tony_montana

Probably bc we rarely draft them with high picks?

Otters was quality

I like this tact, really looking forward to nab two quality Talls in the first round next season.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:52:21 AM by tony_montana »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
The list manager Blair Hackley

FMD
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caddy a pleasing surprise packet for Tigers

richmondfc.com.au
9 December 2016

Hartley explains draft philosophy Head of Player Personnel & List Management, Blair Hartley describes why using the recent AFL National Draft to bolster the Tigers midfield and small forward stocks now leaves Richmond extremely well placed to add some tall talent via next year's draft.

Richmond’s Head of Player Personnel and List Management Blair Hartley has revealed how the changing face of AFL player trading, resulted in the Tigers acquiring quality mature-age midfielder Josh Caddy from Geelong during the October trade period.

Caddy initially was linked to Richmond, when the Cats expressed interest in securing the services of star Tiger veteran Brett Deledio.

Although that deal never eventuated, with Deledio subsequently joining GWS, Caddy ultimately found his way to Tigerland via a late trade.

“The market’s different now.  It used to be you’d have a list of the guys that were out of contract, you’d target those and talk to their managers, making sure that you were on the pulse in terms of players moving,” Hartley said on the Club’s official podcast ‘Talking Tigers’.

“But now, with the free agency market and players looking to move prior to free agency . . . you need to be across everyone.

“We’ll rate players on every club’s list three times a year, so that emotion’s taken out of it at the end of the year . . .

“Even leading into the trade period, we probably weren’t thinking that Josh was a player that would be leaving Geelong, given he was contracted to 2018.

“But just through the process of Brett Deledio looking at Geelong, as an option for him, we needed to assess our options and what would be best for us in terms of a suitable trade . . .

“He (Caddy) was one of the names we mentioned to Geelong through the trade period, and it just so happened that after the Deledio trade (to Geelong) fell through, he was still keen to get to Richmond and we were able to do the deal on the last day of trade . . .

“Those sort of things you need to prepare for . . . You need to assess all the players across all the clubs throughout the course of the year, so if these things to pop up you need to nail it.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-12-09/caddy-a-pleasing-surprise-packet-for-tigers

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Name 5 talls we have drafted groomed and have become standout players for RFC and who could be regarded as elite players?
Richo
Rance
Jack
????

Established talls are too hard to get. Maric is probably the only recent decent one we've got. Freo picked up McCarthy cos of the go home factor and the Dog's paid a million for Boyd. It's too hard a strategy.
I'm of the opinion you have to use high draft picks or get lucky in the rookie or psd with a player that has flaws. That's why I liked the McKenzie pick even though it failed.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bloody oath it is,talls are the hardest to get right and even then you need luck.
As you said they usually come on at 23/24 - I'd put it at 24/25 but its pretty much the same.
Thats 6-7 years of development which unless the player is having an impact on a weekly basis is a wasted spot on the list
and then there's the financial side of this strategy which can be even more costly.
Easier to target a tall that's had 4-5 years apprenticeship elsewhere and get a known quantity regardless of the price they put on themselves.

Established talls are too hard to get. Maric is probably the only recent decent one we've got. Freo picked up McCarthy cos of the go home factor and the Dog's paid a million for Boyd. It's too hard a strategy.
I'm of the opinion you have to use high draft picks or get lucky in the rookie or psd with a player that has flaws. That's why I liked the McKenzie pick even though it failed.
It really depends on the quality of talls in the draft as to how high they might get taken and even then mistakes are made by all clubs.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Bloody oath it is,talls are the hardest to get right and even then you need luck.
As you said they usually come on at 23/24 - I'd put it at 24/25 but its pretty much the same.
Thats 6-7 years of development which unless the player is having an impact on a weekly basis is a wasted spot on the list
and then there's the financial side of this strategy which can be even more costly.
Easier to target a tall that's had 4-5 years apprenticeship elsewhere and get a known quantity regardless of the price they put on themselves.

It really depends on the quality of talls in the draft as to how high they might get taken and even then mistakes are made by all clubs.
I'd say that, as well as Maric, Chaplin was a good pick considering he filled a spot adequately and we got him for free.
That's the reason why I wanted Richards and Barlow. They didn't cost  and were offering about as much as a draftee, without development. 
I would have preferred in the Deledio trade we got a player instead of the round 3 pick. Stewart or Downie would have been good, each with a couple of years in the system.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I'd say that, as well as Maric, Chaplin was a good pick considering he filled a spot adequately and we got him for free.
That's the reason why I wanted Richards and Barlow. They didn't cost  and were offering about as much as a draftee, without development. 
I would have preferred in the Deledio trade we got a player instead of the round 3 pick. Stewart or Downie would have been good, each with a couple of years in the system.

We need the round three pick for points to get father sons.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
So that's Naish, Y&BB?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
So that's Naish, Y&BB?
Yep. Almost certainly.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.