Author Topic: Herald-Sun's 10 pages of RFC / Tigers sharpen their claws as finals fever grows  (Read 1280 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

https://twitter.com/kristianpisano/status/903993207486328832

Tigers sharpen their claws as finals fever grows

Monique Hore
Sunday Herald Sun
September 3, 2017

RICHMOND stars and faithful fans turned out to spur on the club’s VFL side as finals fever builds in Melbourne.

The Tigers toppled Collingwood in the qualifying final by 12 points on Saturday, ending the Pies finals campaign.

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin, recontracted star Dustin Martin and a throng of other players cheered on from the stands.

Former Tiger Jake King was also in the crowd.

The game served as a dress rehearsal for fans, who are expected to flock to the MCG on Friday for their clash against Geelong.

Cheer squad member Troy Armstrong said it was “one game at a time”, but that he believed the AFL Tigers could finish September as premiers.

He was born into the yellow and black, with a Nan who grew up living on Punt Rd and working as one of the MCG’s first canteen ladies.

“The lid has got to stay on,” Mr Armstrong said.

“We’ve just got to win at all costs on Friday.

“We’ve got to be strong and bold — and that’s on the banner.”

Three generations of the Fraser family — Steve, son David and grandsons, Saxon, 7, and Brady, 5 — also donned club colours at the weekend.

Steve Fraser said he was “confident as” for Friday, despite his side’s loss to Geelong in round 21.

“Geelong didn’t beat us, we lost it,” he said.

“All they have to do is play like they did last week and play their way.

“They lose some dodgy ones but they’re playing well.

“I’m really pleased with them.”

Mr Fraser, a distant relative of Richmond legend Mopsy Fraser, has faith that the Tigers can grab their first flag in more than two decades — and break a family curse.

“My son was born in ‘82, a year after the club won the flag, and reckons he’s a jinx,” Mr Fraser said.

“It’d be good for him and all the kids. I have six sons and a daughter who are all Richmond.”

There were no complaints at Fortburn Stadium about the Tigers splashing big bucks on Dusty Martin, who’s tipped to take home this year’s Brownlow Medal.

The deal, inked this week, will see him pocket more than $8 million over seven years, sacrificing an additional $2 million offered by North Melbourne.

There’s even plans for a “sash before cash” banner to appear on Friday.

“He’s put club loyalty ahead of the extra dollars,” longtime supporter Garry Leigh said.

“I was always confident that he was going to stay.

“North Melbourne has nowhere to go.

“He’s got a much better chance at Richmond.”

Sabrina Siegel, who lined the boundary with husband Marcus and nine-month-old daughter, Willow, declared that he was “worth every cent”.

“He’s a game changer,” she said.

“He’s worked really hard this season, so I think he will win the Brownlow.”

Mr Siegel added: “we want the Brownlow and Norm Smith double. And the premiership, of course.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/tigers-sharpen-their-claws-as-finals-fever-grows/news-story/f0e9bcadb5edc33e82a8f3a576cd843c

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Do we have enough press this week, fmd
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
It's all part of the build up just so we can fall harder

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
It's all part of the build up just so we can fall harder
I would agree chuck

Nothing would make me happier than us winning and going straight to a home prelim final. But i can see the forces of evil working against us
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
And who do we think the Herald Sun think are the biggest club in the AFL?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Well the Herald-Don would have everyone believe it's their beloved Bombers....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond