Author Topic: “Power of acceptance” a vital learning for Richmond says Cotchin (SEN)  (Read 729 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent Cotchin on Whateley (28/02/2019)

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=338432

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Power of acceptance” a vital learning for Richmond says Cotchin

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
28 Feb 2019

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin has highlighted the important lesson the club learnt in 2018.

The Tigers were humbled by Collingwood in the Preliminary Final as their quest for back-to-back premierships failed dismally at the penultimate stage.

With redemption naturally on the agenda, Cotchin first and foremost acknowledged the significance of the defeat before plotting the club’s penance.

“Once it’s happened, there’s not much you can do,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“The power of acceptance.

“I‘m not suggesting that the boys have dismissed it and don’t care that it happened but the reality is, there wasn’t much we could do once the game was done.

“Guys reviewed their games individually, we’ve watched bits and pieces as a team as you do after any match.

“We know what makes us a really strong team, we know also where our weaknesses lie, and we need to make sure we tidy those up to carry into season 2019.”

Back to the subject of redemption and Cotchin expects it quite a routine response from a club who recently scaled such lofty heights.

“When any team that has been close or had quite a promising year and has just fallen short, you’re always going to be eager to get back out there and have another crack,” he added.

“I think we all know, given we were lucky enough to have success in 2017, that one: a lot has to go your way, two: you have to be at your best at the right time of the year, and three: there’s something that you can’t control and that’s the opposition.

“We came up against a red-hot Collingwood last year that are a team that will probably improve again this season. I think that’s what I’m most excited about is that the competition is just so even across the board.”

Which brings the conversation to improvement.

Are the Tigers capable of getting better as a collective?

“I’d like to think so,” Cotchin said further.

“If you spoke to each individual at our footy club, they all want to get better than where they’ve been in their career to date

“The younger guys have probably got the most growth in them just because typically that’s how the cookie crumbles.

“The thing that complements that through our group is that the older guys are the most competitive beasts. They’ll never like guys clipping at their heels and they’ll always try to find another gear or two as well.

“I think it’s just natural to have a culture where you want to grow and improve and that’s certainly the attitude of our guys.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02/28/power-of-acceptance-a-vital-learning-for-richmond-says-cotchin/