Author Topic: AFL wants to halve the half-time break (Ch 7)  (Read 2552 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL wants to halve the half-time break (Ch 7)
« on: November 27, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »
Reported by Tom Browne tonight on Ch 7 news.

AFL wants to halve the half-time break to 10 minutes.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AFL wants to halve the half-time break (Ch 7)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »
I hate half time. Always seems to go forever. But how else are people supposed to hit the bathroom and grab a beer?

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »
How about doubling half time & halving Brian Taylor's 'face time'?     :wallywink
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:05:31 AM »
Am all for it. As long as the 10 minutes starts when the boys are through the change room doors and not when the siren goes, otherwise there's not point heading in there. May as well stay on the ground.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
I hate half time. Always seems to go forever. But how else are people supposed to hit the bathroom and grab a beer?

Why would people need to have a bath at half-time?  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »
Teams would likely stay on the ground during the shorter half-time break rather than go to the changerooms, but that has yet to be finalised.

Auskick matches involving junior footballers would remain on game day, but when they would be held is yet to be determined (most likely pre-game).

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said he supported the idea.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-28/our-game-is-incredibly-long-coach-support-for-halftime-slash

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:36:35 PM »
Given Melbourne's poor second halves where they run out of gas, no wonder Goodwin wants the game to be shorter  ::).

The AFL once again proclaiming out of the blue a problem that doesn't exist and then trying to fix it on the fly with new rules that actually cause a real issue :sleep. It's only a 20 minute break for crying out aloud. I haven't heard  any supporter in the outer nor seen on social media mention the half-time break being too long  :huh.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 01:23:32 AM »
The AFL has proposed to shorten its half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. The players might not even leave the ground. The idea smacks of an organisation so desperate to move with the times and fit in with new consumer trends that it’s forgotten to ask the fans what they want.

If they did, they’d discover they’re barking up the wrong tree. One poll conducted this week revealed more than 80 per cent of fans were against the move.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stop-trying-to-rush-us-footy-is-a-social-experience-20191202-p53fyq.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
The AFL is likely to settle on a 15-minute half-time break next year given strong initial support from clubs and coaches for the league’s proposal.

The league believes broadcasters will back the move because they can lose as much as 20 per cent of their audience over the current 20-minute half-time break.

In a tight game that audience often returns, but during one-sided or low-scoring matches today’s Netflix generation often finds other TV shows or movies to watch and never comes back.

Overall TV ratings were up this year from 2018, but scoring remains at historically low levels.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-set-to-shorten-halftime-break-to-15minutes/news-story/7afe4782e78acfc8606e75c040666ee2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 04:14:47 PM »
The AFL has elected to keep half-time breaks at 20 minutes for the 2020 season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/368722/afl-confirms-half-time-break-will-not-be-shortened