Author Topic: The biggest draft bust for Richmond this century? (SEN)  (Read 2413 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The biggest draft bust for Richmond this century? (SEN)
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:45:52 AM »
The biggest draft bust from all 18 AFL teams this century

Andrew Slevison
SEN
13 May 2020

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It allows us to look back at decisions made in the past and dissect them to within an inch of their respective lives.

Choices made at the draft table are often criticised. It really is a difficult thing to forecast what a teenager is going to deliver on the football field when he is inexperienced, largely untried, still growing and learning and at times even a relative unknown.

Every club over the journey has made one or two blunders on draft night. Decisions that have come back to haunt the selectors in question.

Whether it be bad luck with injury, homesickness, lack of senior chances, off-field issues or simply an over-hyped opinion of a player during his junior days, draft errors are a common occurrence such is human nature and the inexact science of predicting what a person can do. There’s also the regret of seeing someone taken next in line who simply flourishes.

We’ve delved right in and looked back no further than two decades to bring you the biggest draft bungles since the year 2000.

RICHMOND

Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (2005)

The Tigers endured a couple of draft disappointments over the years but the selection of Oakley-Nicholls at pick six in 2005 stands out as the biggest. There were initial reports of incompetence regarding this selection, but the suggestion that the club had never laid eyes on him live before the draft is in fact an urban myth. Tigers recruiters had actually watched him at the ’05 U18 National Championships in Melbourne. Richmond had narrowed it down to one of three indigenous boys - Oakley-Nicholls, Courtenay Dempsey and Travis Varcoe - and opted for the East Perth product. It never really worked out for him though and he would play just 13 games over four years in the yellow and black before joining the Eagles in 2010 where he would go without another AFL appearance. People may wonder why Richard Tambling being taken before Buddy Franklin didn't lob on top here, but Tambling had plenty of scope and even the Hawks had shown interest. The Oakley-Nicholls choice simply proved to be a flop.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/05/13/the-biggest-draft-bust-from-all-18-teams-this-century/

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The biggest draft bust for Richmond this century? (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
Still remember the story of us seeing him mowing his mum's lawn early one morning.  Tipped him over the edge for our recruiters.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »
Would have thought Lennon over Cripps was worse. The 2005 draft was pretty rubbish
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:55:40 AM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
Would have thought Lennon over Cripps was worse.

This.  JON was the third best of the 3 mentioned.  Varcoe is handy and has had success but wouldn't be much more than a good player.  On the other hand, imagine Cripps in the centre next to Dusty and Cotch makes me tingle in my pants.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
Would have thought Lennon over Cripps was worse. The 2005 draft was pretty rubbish

Lennon - Cripps
Tambling - Franklin
Griffiths - Fyfe
Conca - Hepple
Corey Ellis - Jake Lever (still debatable due to injures)

Take your pick  ::)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »
Fiora over Pavlich :shh
Batchelor over Parker :shh :shh
Gordon over Byrne-Jones :shh :shh :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:34:41 PM »
At the time I was happy with Griffith's as we needed a good tall but history has proven me stone cold dead wrong.Fyfe is gold Griffith's was ... well less than sterling.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
Didn’t the club trade away our picks in 01 because we were “pushing for a flag” ?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »

Lennon - Cripps
Tambling - Franklin
Griffiths - Fyfe
Conca - Hepple

Conca ahead of Caddy, Prestia and Lynch...
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 07:35:02 PM »
At the time I was happy with Griffith's as we needed a good tall but history has proven me stone cold dead wrong.Fyfe is gold Griffith's was ... well less than sterling.

Even more annoying was seeing Griffiths waste his talent. Could just, mark, and kick like a mule.

No heart though!

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 10:41:05 PM »
At stages he showed something and I thought he would become a role player, holding down half forward to jack's lead at full forward but he was never dominant but teams have worked with worse at half forward. It's a very hard position to fill. Everyone wants a Carey but most have aTravis Close or worse. Like who is the dogs half forward ATM. No one. Sydney's maybe Nick Blakey. A kid with a lot of potential but just a kid.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »

Lennon - Cripps
Tambling - Franklin
Griffiths - Fyfe
Conca - Hepple

Conca ahead of Caddy, Prestia and Lynch...

Yes, there are a whole host of picks like that to.
The ones I’ve pointed out above have all been within the next two picks :facepalm

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
All of them pale into comparison to Melbourne picking Grimes and Scully ahead of Dusty. :cheers :cheers :cheers

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
All of them pale into comparison to Melbourne picking Grimes and Scully ahead of Dusty. :cheers :cheers :cheers

Thank goodness for that!

Scully went on to become a very good player...

...at GWS :)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
All of them pale into comparison to Melbourne picking Grimes and Scully ahead of Dusty. :

Trengove and Scully methinks.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....