Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference  (Read 507 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's post-match media conference
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:35:46 AM »
Dimma's post-match presser:

Watch here: https://www.afl.com.au/video/564450/dimma-welcomes-subs-after-immediate-impact

--------------------------------------------------

Summary:

* Dusty's ball use across the arcs was very good. As guys were getting tired you could see the difference. A pleasure to coach.

* 75 inside 50s is a lot. Carlton play an offensive brand of footy. We lost a couple of crucial contests in the first half we should have won. We had an outnumber and as we lost it it allowed Carlton to get out the back. So the transition rates were very high. Thought we solidified that in the second half and got the ball moving our way. We had 34 forward half turnovers for the game after having only 9-10 up till half-time.

* Carlton were very aggressive with the way they play offensively. They are going to trouble a lot of sides. No doubt they troubled us tonight. We had to go to school on it, change things up and managed to get the game back on our terms.

* Thoughts on the Medical Sub?
  People jump up and down about it, but the more players that play is a positive. You've got limited rotations, so one more player on the ground isn't going to make a big difference for me. I'm all for the growth of the game. For me, if it's going to make it better, then let's do it. I can't see the downside to it. Once again, the health and safety of players is paramount. Realistically, if you've got fresh players there, you shouldn't lose a game with an injured player when you've got a fresh one that can come on and play. I think it's a positive and I'll always look at it from a positive point of view.

* Back to longer games?
  Boys were very tired. Round 1 is like that. Guys were cramping. They'll get use to and get better. Recovery will be very important.

* Carlton kicked 6 goals on transition. 5 of them in the second half. So there's things from the game we need to work on.

* Cotchin will play next week. He was pushing to play as that's Trent. The whole family had gastro so we tried to put him in a bubble. In the end we decided to not take the risk. He's so important to us.

* Impact of the new rules?
  Game is more open. Uncontested marks are up. We had 80 tonight. We didn't take as many tonight as the game was fast. Our pressure rating was down too. Normally it's between 1.8-2.0 and tonight it was down to 1.6. If you like a transitional game then you'll like it; if you prefer a more contested style game then it's taken away from it. There's a lot more 1-on-1 contests which is a positive from the AFL as they look at it. Low sample size so it'll be interesting as the season proceeds.

* Houli is "questionable" for next week. In others words Dimma is not sure. He's probable. Bachar trained, did some skill sessions this week. We've got a longer break until round 2 so that's in his favour. So he is a chance.

* Being back at the 'G?
  It's different. It's good to be home. We've got our fans back. Our guys play for them no doubt and they get us over the line. See kids beaming. Great to be back.

* How will you handle the sub? Will they play VFL as well?
  Play them for one half. Sub will always play and then we will have another guy as a carry over. So they won't play (a full) VFL game. If they are sub one week then they won't be the following the week.
  The sub may prolong a player's career like the Bulldogs did a few years ago with Boyd using him as their sub each week.

* Dimma said he's watched bits and pieces of Making their Mark. At the Freo game there was no crowd so a guy sitting on the other side of the ground was egging Dimma on at 3/4 time.