Author Topic: Who do you want to coach Richmond after Dimma  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Who do you want to coach Richmond after Dimma
« on: July 27, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
Ok guys when Dimma's time is up who do you want as the next coach of the Richmond Football Club and give us 2 or 3 reasons why.

If your candidate is not listed just name him in the thread. I have also allowed you to change your vote so I can add to the coaching options.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Who do you want to coach Richmond after Dimma
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 03:48:21 PM »
I have voted for Nathan Buckley.

My reasons are:

1) He took a bog average Collingwood side to within 60 seconds of a flag in 2018 and overall he had them really competive. So we know he can coach.
2) When he was coaching the young Australian squads all the kids looked up to him and loved him and we will have a realky young squad in the next year or two.
3) That he has been so close to winning a premiership but didnt quite get their as player or coach means he will have a burning desire to finally climb that mountain. He still wants it. He needs a flag to validate everything in his career. So we will get full buy in from him. He'll be 100% in it.
4) If he wins a flag as Richmond coach itll burn Collingwood fans forever. Theyll never forget their favirite son delivered a flag to an arch enemy. Itll wreck that clubs fabric to the core.

Broadsword

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
Re: the four names mentioned.

Not Buckley.
Not Caracella (have heard anecdotally that his temperament and demeanor is excellent for an assistant but would not translate well to a senior gig).
Not Kingsley (Change. Plus his media posturing is wearing thin.)

I know nothing about Yze so would be interested on others' thoughts there.

I always thought Ross Lyon would have one more crack at a flag and it wouldn't upset me if it was at Richmond. In 2016 when it was anticipated Hardwick would be gone at year's end my preference was Ross.

Clarkson I think would be a cool transition to make because of the personal connection. I also like the idea of taking ex players/coaches from Essendon and Hawthorn and turning them into dynasty men at Richmond. Hardwick makes up for Sheedy. Clarkson coaching Richmond to a flag while Hawthorn remained rubbish for a while would sit so right with me.

I don't really know enough about any other assistants out there unfortunately. I do wonder if Leppitsch would be good if he had another crack (a la Voss) and he might be ready to get it right with us.

In summary: Yesterday's Man -- Ross Lyon
                    Tomorrow;s Man -- Justin Leppitsch
                    Today's Man -- Alastair Clarkson

Broadsword

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 03:59:14 PM »

My reasons are:

1) He took a bog average Collingwood side to within 60 seconds of a flag in 2018 and overall he had them really competive. So we know he can coach.
2) When he was coaching the young Australian squads all the kids looked up to him and loved him and we will have a realky young squad in the next year or two.
3) That he has been so close to winning a premiership but didnt quite get their as player or coach means he will have a burning desire to finally climb that mountain. He still wants it. He needs a flag to validate everything in his career. So we will get full buy in from him. He'll be 100% in it.
4) If he wins a flag as Richmond coach itll burn Collingwood fans forever. Theyll never forget their favirite son delivered a flag to an arch enemy. Itll wreck that clubs fabric to the core.
I like all of that Ramps but there's something not quite right about Buckley for mine. He really copied the Richmond playbook in 2018 but I think it was not the real thing, just a pale imitation. I also don't like his handling of the Lumumba situation. When Eddie was going around comparing one of the great aboriginal players of the game to King Kong Buckley seemed to circle the wagons around ... Eddie. I reckon underneath it all ole FIGJAM might just be FOS.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »
After Dimma I’d like the club to hire a young up and coming coach. Someone who has had experience as an assistant but not in a senior position. Just think if we are rebuilding the list and Dimma decides to walk away then we may as well rebuild the coaching group too. Get a young, hungry coach with a couple of similarly experienced assistants and then a more senior experienced assistant to round it off.

As for a name, I don’t have anyone specifically in mind however someone fitting the mould described above would be nice but not fussed really.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:08:45 PM by Tiger Khosh »

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 04:20:33 PM »

My reasons are:

I like all of that Ramps but there's something not quite right about Buckley for mine. He really copied the Richmond playbook in 2018 but I think it was not the real thing, just a pale imitation. I also don't like his handling of the Lumumba situation. When Eddie was going around comparing one of the great aboriginal players of the game to King Kong Buckley seemed to circle the wagons around ... Eddie. I reckon underneath it all ole FIGJAM might just be FOS.

Interesting take! I dont have issues with the lumumba thing. He seems to have a chip on his shoulders.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 05:03:21 PM »
Luke Hodge
players would run through a brick wall for him

Broadsword

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 05:09:31 PM »
Luke Hodge
players would run through a brick wall for him
He better be a bit more animated behind the scenes. So boring on TV it's not funny. I know nothing of his coaching ability but I think there's a big gap between excellent assistant coaches and genuine senior coaches. I don't know if he'd be able to rouse the troops. Same thing with Cotch. Incredible attributes for a captain because he leads by example, but I can't imagine him being a senior coach.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
From current known commodities Clarkson is above and beyond the rest. I would be so happy if we snagged him.

Everyone keeps talking up Mark Williams and I know he had a massive impact in Dusty’s development but would he still have the edge to go through the rigours of senior coaching?

Left field romanticised choices for me are Hodge as mentioned or he’ll bring back Rance since he’s already doing leadership things at the academy

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 11:11:35 AM »
Sheesh Collingwood won a flag in 2010 with a team aged 24yrs and 56 days. Under Malthouse they played in another g/f the following year.
Then Buckly stepped in and it became a down hill spiral. It was not as if he had to rebuild in fact the state of the list had Malthouse digging his heels in about staying.
Something imo they got very wrong.But hey Bucks was Eddies love child.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
Jeremy Graham been assistant at eagles and dockers very highly rated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:15:29 PM by georgies31 »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 12:11:52 PM »
Haven't thought about it and cannot see the point at this time

Alot can happen in 2 years  :eyebrow

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »
The best second tall ruckman to ever play the game, and a fantastic clubman.

Grigg.

Won a flag with us when most including me thought he was rubbish. Is a great assistant at a club many of us said would bottom out.

Lastly, has played for the blues so will keep on burning them for years to come with more cups for the RFC
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.