Author Topic: Congrats Joel Bowden - 200 games  (Read 1363 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Congrats Joel Bowden - 200 games
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »
Congrats to Joel. Plays his 200th game this week against the Crows  :clapping :congrats

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Congrats Joel Bowden - 200 games
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:12 AM »
Let's hope we can do what we did for Richo's 200th, although generally for some reason milestone games seem to go against us.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:01:11 PM »
Well done to him. There have been a lot of quality games mixed in with a lot of average ones in that lot, but he has certainly been a very capable player and has found some consistency of late that I hope he keeps for the rest of his career.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' Mr Versatile notches 200 (RFC site)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:20:54 PM »
Tigers' Mr Versatile notches 200
5:14:27 PM Tue 16 May, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

He might have played in just one finals series in reaching the coveted 200 game milestone but Richmond veteran Joel Bowden has far from given up hope of one day being part of a premiership side.

As he prepared for his milestone game against Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Saturday, Bowden revealed on Tuesday that he is using Sydney’s Paul Williams as inspiration as he seeks to emulate the feats of his father Michael during his remaining years in the game.

Michael Bowden was a member of the Tigers’ 1969 premiership side, beginning a long history of family involvement with the club which has continued not only through Joel but also his older brother Sean, who played at the club in the early 1990’s, while his younger brother Patrick joined the club this year from the Bulldogs.

While it has been lean pickings in terms of team success for Joel Bowden – who has won the past two Richmond best and fairest awards – he is confident the club is now laying the foundations for future success under coach Terry Wallace despite the club’s present struggles.

And the 28-year-old is determined to be around to reap the rewards from the hard work now being invested in so many youngsters with last week’s team, which lost to Sydney by 118 points, containing eight players with less than 20 games experience under their belt.

“I look at guy like Paul Williams and it took him until his 294th game (the longest wait in league history) to achieve the ultimate success (a premiership) and I am quite willing to say around that long here – if they want me – to wait for that success,” Bowden said.

“It’s enjoyable to get to this milestone but for me there is still a long way to go.”

“We’ve got a lot of young players developing here and I am looking forward to staying here for the next three or four or five years when those young players really blossom and hopefully I can enjoy success with those guys.”

Bowden has been Richmond’s “Mr Versatile” since debuting in 1996, having started his career as a forward before playing in the midfield for years and now turning into one of the league’s premier rebounding defenders, who even occasionally has to play as a key defender despite standing just 188cm.

He admits his present role as the Tigers’ full-back, in the absence of the likes of Darren Gaspar and Andrew Kellaway through injury, was a far cry from how he started out in the game.

“It certainly is a different scenario when you are on the last line of defence and lining up on a Scott Lucas or a Barry Hall,” he said of his opponents in the past fortnight.

“I’m always available to play in the forward line if Terry wants me to but I will play anywhere to accommodate the team and if that meant playing on-ball, that is fine as well.”

“It’s a team game and if you can’t be versatile and play anywhere then you are not going to succeed.”

But even when he has been in defence, Bowden has always remained true to his natural attacking instincts and only a fortnight ago he managed a staggering 31 possessions from full-back and set up the winning behind during the Tigers’ thrilling two-point win against Essendon, even though his direct opponent in Lucas threatened to win the game for the Bombers in the final term with three goals.

“I always tried to get the ball growing up and I am much happier with the ball in my hands,” Bowden said.

“I do have to add the part of beating my man into that (as a defender), but I much more enjoy a game of footy when I have my share of the ball.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=266137

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:29:43 PM »
Well done JB.

Have a fun game keeping our small backline intact.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bowden happy to wait for flag (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »
Bowden happy to wait for flag
17 May 2006   Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

JOEL Bowden says he is prepared to play for Richmond for as long as it takes for the Tigers to win that elusive premiership.

Bowden will chalk up his 200th game when the Tigers play Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Saturday.

The 27-year-old, winner of Richmond's past two best-and-fairests, takes solace from the fact it took Sydney's Paul Williams 294 games to achieve the ultimate success, the longest wait of any player.

"It's enjoyable to get to a milestone, but I also know there's a long way to go," Bowden said yesterday.

"We've got a lot of young guys who are developing and I'm looking forward to staying around for the next three, four, five years when those guys flourish and blossom and hopefully I can enjoy some success with those guys."

Coach Terry Wallace would like to play Bowden as an "offensive weapon, counter-attack, half-back flanker" but circumstances have decreed that he line up at full-back.

He has had some unenviable tasks in that role this season, standing key forwards Jonathan Brown, Scott Lucas and Barry Hall.

"With the exception of the weekend (against Sydney's Hall), I reckon he's done an outstanding job thus far playing on those guys, being able to do a reasonable job defensively and a fantastic job in counter-attack footy for the club," Wallace said.

Bowden had 30 possessions in Richmond's two-point win against Essendon in Round 6 when Lucas kicked three last-quarter goals for the Dons.

Wallace said the match was one where he was questioned whether he praised or chastised Bowden's performance.

"The whole game now is based on counter-attack and the ability to run the ball out of the defensive end of the ground," Wallace said.

"It's probably an area where we've been stagnant for a long period of time. We've had a lot of very defensive backmen, which hasn't allowed us to get enough run and flow out of there, and Joel's ability to do that is a real bonus for the side.

"When I first arrived, I probably questioned Joel's defensive skills a little bit, the roles on the big players, but he's really improved that aspect."

Despite the 118-point drubbing by Sydney, the Tigers will play a similar side against the Crows.

Defenders Ray Hall, Andrew Kellaway (both calf), Darren Gaspar and skipper Kane Johnson (both hamstring) will miss again.

Wallace said Nathan Brown would resume training next week, but it could be five weeks before he was ready to play.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19163314%255E19771,00.html

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »
congrats  to #11    potentailly a 300+ gamer for us

hope the boys have a real dip for him

:weights
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 12:34:00 AM »
I agree 632, I reckon he'll play 340 games for the tiges.

And he certainly has had some average ones JohnF, but my old criticisms of him have long vanished, especially the one of getting in front of a pack and taking a hit for the team every now and then. He even realised he could actually mark some of them!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Ox

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »
of 300 say,how many good bad and shocking performances will he put in ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 02:12:26 AM »
Great for Joel that we were able to celebrate his 200th with a win.

It must have felt like back home in the family backyard playing kick to kick with Paddy in our backline lol.

Another win this year in a milestone game too.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd