Author Topic: Cotchin's move forward = wealth of mids Richmond has at its disposal: King (SEN)  (Read 569 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“WHY NOT SPIN THE DISCUSSION?”: DAVID KING’S READ ON TRENT COTCHIN’S MOVE FORWARD

By Seb Mottram
SEN
10 February 2023

David King wants to shift the narrative on Trent Cotchin’s supposed move to the forward line, saying it should bring focus to the wealth of midfielders Richmond has at its disposal.

Tigers forward Jack Riewoldt revealed to 7 News on Sunday night that ‘Trent Coleman’ Cotchin was featuring in a new role across the pre-season.

But the move didn’t go down well with numerous media commentators, including Kane Cornes.

“He’s kicked 16 goals in the last five seasons, Trent Cotchin. I give it two weeks. I give the experiment two weeks,” Cornes told SEN’s Sportsday.

“It’s like Geelong saying last year, ‘oh, we’re going to turn Joel Selwood into a forward’. It just wouldn’t work.

“It’s the toughest position to play, the athleticism required. It’s an unrealistic expectation for a player who’s going to be 33 by Round 1 this year, with the injury issues that he’s had and the speed and dynamic nature of that role.”

However, King says the story should be less about Cotchin and more about Richmond.

The recruitment of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper will see the ex-GWS duo slot into a midfield already boasting the likes of Dustin Martin, Dion Prestia, Shai Bolton and Jack Graham.

King suggested Cotchin’s move forward is simply a result of Damien Hardwick juggling his best 22.

“I was down at Richmond during the week, they look incredibly healthy,” King began on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“Most of the talent they need to be on the track in the high-volume training is there. I know we’re waiting on Tom Lynch to get back out there and join the main group, Jack Graham was doing some laps with him and Dion Prestia was being managed to within an inch of his life given his injury history in the last few years.

“But they have a whole host of flanker-type players, it’s very difficult to work out what Richmond’s midfield will look like.

“The talk is all around Cotchin going forward, but I think when you pick up Hopper and Taranto and you’ve already got Bolton, Prestia, (Jayden) Short can go in there, Martin can go in there, (Liam) Baker can go in there, (Marlion) Pickett plays wing, you’ve got (Jack) Ross, (Tyler) Sonsie is a player who I think has got incredible upside… so you have to find other spots for these players.

“The talk’s been about Cotchin going forward. Why not spin the discussion and say how powerful and how deep can Richmond’s midfield be?”

2023 will mark Cotchin’s second year without the captaincy, and the 32-year-old is expected to play his 300th game during the season.

Cotchin, who signed a one-year deal late last year, has made 287 appearances for the Tigers.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/09/why-not-spin-the-discussion-david-kings-read-on-trent-cotchins-move-forward/