Author Topic: Hyde sets new goals (sportal)  (Read 1282 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hyde sets new goals (sportal)
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »
Hyde sets new goals
2:20:50 PM Mon 29 May, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond's new goalkicking hero Chris Hyde says it is about time he started getting amongst the goals now that he is spending more time in attack.

The unassuming Hyde was the Tigers' surprise packet up forward on Saturday as the club registered its first win over Geelong at Skilled Stadium since 1990.

It was the club's second consecutive upset victory of the season and after losing the first three games by a total of 172 points, the Tigers have won five of their past six games to be outside the top eight by percentage only.

But for Hyde, the win over the Cats was easily the most productive day of his career as he kicked four goals on a day when the Tigers' ten-time leading goalkicker Matthew Richardson could only manage one goal.

And what made Hyde's performance even more amazing was that before the game he had only kicked 12 goals in 55 matches and his two goals against Carlton in round five was the only other time he had ever kicked more than one goal in an AFL match.

"Terry (Wallace) has been at me a bit more to try and hit the scoreboard whether that's kicking goals or assisting in them and it's part of my game I have been working on," he told Sportal.

Hyde has spent most of his career either on the wing or in on-ball roles but has spent more time this season playing on a half forward flank.

And with that shift came the pressure to kick more goals.

"I have definitely been working on it and it was good to kick a couple (against Geelong)," he said.

"I have been playing there (half-forward) a fair bit this year and if you want to play as a forward, you have got to have an impact on the scoreboard."

While Hyde hardly sees himself as a threat to Richardson in the Tigers' goalkicking stakes, he said it was important the club had other options to goal to ease the pressure on a player who has been the club's leading goalkicker in ten of the past 12 years.

"It's good to have your half forwards kicking goals and that's something we have been really working on," Hyde said.

"We don't want to go to Richo too often in our forward line because if we keep kicking it to Richo it becomes a bit one dimensional."

"So Plough (Wallace) has been focusing on us getting an even contribution of goals from our half-forwards and midfielders."

With the scalps of Adelaide and Geelong already under their belt, Hyde said the players were now looking forward to travelling to Perth to play Fremantle this week in another game in which the Tigers will be underdogs.

"We haven't got much to lose and we can really go over there and attack the game and see how we go," Hyde said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=269467

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Hyde sets new goals (sportal)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »
Very consistent year so far for Hydey which is what we need from him. He also showed he's got some moves too near goal on Saturday.

Apart from the Dogs game, he's had 15 disposals or more in every game as well as having kicked 8 goals from his past 7 games. The more goals that come from our midfielders the better.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:32:11 PM »
Hyde might need some help to get Goal of the week so we get the Tiger double:- http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=toyota&spg=goty

Expert panel votes for Toyota Goal of the Year - Round 9

Matthew Lappin 40%
Brent Staker       35%
Chris Hyde          25%

Public vote (Total Votes:: 8):

Matthew Lappin  38%
Brent Staker        38%
Chris Hyde           25%

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:45:16 AM »
Richmond supporters are getting behind our blokes.

Hyde now leading with 52% of the votes.  Total votes = 202.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
Richmond supporters are getting behind our blokes.

Hyde now leading with 52% of the votes.  Total votes = 202.

Chris Hyde           55%
Matthew Lappin  29%
Brent Staker        17%

Total Votes:: 726

Don't you love having a big supporter base that can rig these polls  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jekyll and Hyde (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:47:39 AM »

Jekyll and Hyde
02 June 2006   Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

Chris Hyde has played 56 AFL games. Chris who? If you haven't heard of him, you're not alone. But a lot more people are starting to learn his name, starting with two Geelong defenders he danced around on route to goal last Saturday. The no-frills, run-with player has a new, attacking personality.

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace jokes that he created a monster when he asked Chris Hyde to change his style and become a more attacking player.

But after Hyde monstered Geelong with four goals to give the Tigers their first win at Skilled Stadium for 16 years, no one at Punt Rd is complaining.

Before Saturday, Hyde, 23, had managed just 12 goals in 55 games. And none would have been as memorable as his third for the afternoon in the second quarter.

Hyde baulked two Cat opponents, Paul Koulouriotis and Jarad Rooke, before slotting the ball through on his left foot.

It was exactly the manoeuvre Wallace had been looking for when he took over as coach after the 2004 season.

At that stage, Hyde's fledgling AFL career was just getting started, but he had played all 22 games that year and finished fifth in the club's best-and-fairest.

Wallace takes up the story: "In my first two weeks at the club I told the players we were going to play a free-flowing, running, carrying (the ball) style of game.

"It was similar to the style we had in place at the Doggies. It was the style I liked . . . 16 goals a game . . . blokes who can play for the baulk and run and carry.

"In the first couple of training sessions preparing for that style, Chris approached me for a private conversation and said, `I can't do this. I'm a tagger. I can run with a bloke and take him out of the game, but I'm not an offensive player'."

Wallace's response was short and to the point. "I think you are. You're selling yourself short, and if you're not going to adapt to what I want, you mightn't be here long," he said.

Hyde took the advice on board and set about transforming himself.

"After about a month he was running around, baulking blokes and doing things no one had ever seen before," Wallace said. "My reaction was, `I've created a monster' and the boys nicknamed him that and it's stuck."

Hyde, recruited from Barooga in New South Wales, just across the border from Cobram, this week sheepishly recalled the conversation with his coach.

"I think when he first came down everyone was a little apprehensive and wasn't really sure what to expect – if he liked you, and if he didn't like you, and how he wanted you to play," Hyde said.

"I was probably in that boat. I was a little unsure at the start, but he encouraged me to play an attacking style of footy and that's what I tried to do.

"The year before Terry came, I played all year as a run-with tagger, and that was probably my first year of playing consistent senior footy.

"So when he came I thought I'd be doing a similar role, and was a bit unsure if I could do anything else."

Wallace said Richmond fans would have seen more of Hyde's new attacking game last season but for a horrific, accidental clash of heads with St Kilda's Matt Maguire in Round 5.

The sickening impact left the youngster with a hairline fracture of the skull and was likened to a car wreck.

Both players appeared to be knocked out before they hit the ground and barely moved as the capacity Telstra Dome crowd sat hushed.

While Hyde's injury was serious, he was able to resume playing within three weeks with the aid of a specially designed helmet.

Although there were no physical complications, the clash severely dented his confidence.

"It was something I look back on and think it did take me a lot longer to get over. I don't know if it was mentally or physically, I'm not really sure, but it did take me a bit longer to get over than I would have hoped."

After only eight goals in 47 games before this season, Hyde's four majors against Geelong were a revelation.

He said game video reviews with assistant coach and former Kangaroos star David King, and playing most games as a half-forward, had been instrumental in his transformation into an attacking goalkicker.

"Looking at the videos, each week there's been opportunities where I could have kicked a couple," Hyde said. "He (King) has been showing me that if I had taken a few more risks, I could have kicked a few goals.

"So I don't think it was a one-off at the weekend. It was probably I took a few more risks closer to goal and it came off. If you go interstate or anywhere, you can't save the game; you've got to take it off the opposition.

"So that was something we talked about going down to Geelong."

Fitness and endurance have always been two of Hyde's strengths.

The Tigers' main test is the 3.83km run around The Tan, and Hyde's time of about 13min 12sec ranks him among the top two or three.

"It's probably helped me along the way to get a few games when I might have been on the borderline," he said frankly.

After a 115-point thrashing in Round 1, and a 118-point belting from Sydney in Round 7, the Tigers have done extremely well to bounce back.

With five wins they are in a good position to press for a finals berth, something that would defy history. Only one team in league history – North Melbourne in 1958 – has lost by more than 100 points in the opening round and gone on to make the finals.

"I'm not really sure what happened . . . two very big beatings," Hyde said.

"I think the guys here after those two losses showed a bit of resolve and character. Probably no one expected us to be where we are.

"There's no reason why we can't make the finals because we lost in Round 1."

And if the Tigers happen to crack it for a final in September, you can bet Hyde will play with the same flair he showed last weekend.

Opponents, you have been warned: the monster is on the loose.

Tiger heads out of danger

CHRIS Hyde says he no longer thinks about the fractured skull he suffered last year in a sickening clash of heads with St Kilda's Matt Maguire.

"I have no side-affects and it probably never enters my mind now," he said.

"Everyone seems to ask me about me about it, but as far as I'm concerned I don't even think about it at all.

"It was over a year ago now, so it's well and truly behind me."

After being carried off wearing a neck brace (right), Hyde was found to have a fracture "not quite an inch long" according to club doctor Greg Hickey, and was back after three weeks, wearing a helmet.

"It was just an injury, part of footy," Hyde said. "Everyone gets them. Kosi (St Kilda's Justin Koschitzke) fractured his skull.

"(It's) probably not the nicest thing to happen, but I only missed three games. I mean, if you do a knee you miss the season, so it wasn't really that bad."

Apart from severe headaches and swelling to his skull, Hyde also had bruising to the brain, which caused him most concern.

He also seemed to develop an alarming habit of being knocked in the head. In his return match after the Maguire incident, he clashed heads with teammate Joel Bowden, breaking Bowden's cheekbone, and later in the year was cleaned up by a big Brett Burton bump.

"It's probably not a nice thing to go to the neurosurgeon and be told that you need to be really careful with what you do in everyday life, let alone playing football," he said.

"When he says you've just got to be careful and you're not allowed to drive, when he seems a little bit concerned . . . when he's a professional at what he does . . . it just makes you wonder, that this could be really serious.

"It probably affected me more than I first thought.

"When it's your head and the neurosurgeon says you've got bruising on the brain, probably subconsciously I was a little bit hesitant at the start."

But the traumatic experience has not affected Hyde's daredevil approach.

"I don't think about it on the field at all," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19331000%255E19742,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »
Congrats to Hyde for getting Goal of the Week for Round 9. :clapping :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »
Hydey just goes to show what happens when you have a coach who can not only see what a player is fully capable of but can then also give the player the confidence in himself to get the best out of his ability. Tucky is in the same boat.   

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 05:21:54 PM »
here here congrats to hydey for GOTW  :cheers