Author Topic: Paddy Bowden relishing second chance (RFC site)  (Read 620 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Paddy Bowden relishing second chance (RFC site)
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:52:26 PM »
Bowden relishing second chance
10:04:32 AM Thu 8 June, 2006
Mark Rasmussen
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Patrick Bowden managed just 50 games in five seasons with the Western Bulldogs, including just eight senior appearances in what was a disappointing 2005.

But after swapping the red, white and blue for yellow and black, his career has been revived and Bowden has played every match so far in 2006.

The move has clearly renewed and rejuvenated him and he now averages almost 20 possessions a game.

"A new environment makes you work a bit harder I think," Bowden said in an exclusive interview.

Click Here
"I've certainly put in a lot of hard work. I'm playing reasonable football at the moment and it seems to be paying off."

While Bowden is pleased with picking up plenty of possessions, for him the greater reward is doing what the coach wants, and expects.

"Stats are always nice and it's nice to pick up the paper and see that you're getting a kick every week but you want to be doing the things that the coach wants you to do," he said.

"Hopefully I'm doing what the coach wants and that's all I worry about."

Bowden made his debut for Richmond against his former side the Western Bulldogs. While initially playing up forward, he has since shifted down back, where he is enjoying his new role.

"Obviously Terry's asked me to play in the back line in the past few weeks and with a few injuries, I've been able to do that," he said.

"Anywhere on the field's good for me," Bowden claimed when asked where he prefers to play.

"As long as I'm playing AFL football, I'm going to be happy."

Since his move from the Dogs to the Tigers, Bowden has never been happier. With an ability to switch between the forward line to that of a more defensive role, Bowden is relishing his freedom.

"I've found there's not just one specific job for me to do in the team. I can obviously play in the forward line or the back line and at times play on the wing.

"I'm really enjoying the diversity of my role within the side."

"It's keeping things interesting for me and hopefully benefiting the team."

Bowden, who crossed to Punt Rd at the end of the 2005 season, is the fourth player from his family to represent the club, with his father Michael (1967-71) and brother Sean (1990-91) having also played at Tigerland.

Not only has older brother Joel, won the past two Jack Dyer Medals as well as gaining All-Australian honors for the first time this year but his father Michael, played in the Tigers' 1969 premiership side.

"I want to play in finals and ultimately win a premiership. The team goals are more important than what mine are.

"I hope I can add to an already promising side as I feel like I've got a hell of a lot more football in me," Bowden said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=272208

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Paddy Bowden relishing second chance (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »
So far a good pick up for just a late 50's draft pick. Not up in his brother's league but handy nevertheless.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:41 PM »
Maybe he will be a late bloomer like his brother.

Who knows, he does have a bit of talent. I just get a little worried about him down back as i think he is a little soft and not good by foot under pressure.

Still happy with his season so far to date.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »
im glad he is backing up all the praise and potential i gave him

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »
im glad he is backing up all the praise and potential i gave him

Not as glad as his Player Link sponsor is  :rollin ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)