Author Topic: Richmond's 2023 season reviews [merged]  (Read 2052 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's 2023 season reviews [merged]
« on: August 28, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »
Brutal reviews: What went wrong for bottom 10 – and who they now must target

Jono Baruch
Foxsports
28 August 2023

13. RICHMOND (10-12-1, 93.6%)

Three word analysis

Hardwick era over

What went right

The Tigers were able to stay competitive throughout the year despite the change of coach, overcoming the loss of spearhead Tom Lynch to a season-ending foot injury to keep their scoring power in check. Under Andrew McQualter, the Tigers ranked fifth in the competition for scoring chains and first for scores per inside 50, maintaining their impressive ball movement with Daniel Rioli enjoying a fruitful full season off half-back. The recruitment of Tim Taranto also proved a success, with the midfielder having a profitable season, and looms as one of the favourites to win the Jack Dyer Medal in his first season at the club.

What went wrong

After starting the year hoping for one last dance, the Tigers lost their bite. After a controversial end to the 2022 season and a super-competitive year, many (including Damien Hardwick) thought the Tigers would rise one last time, but it was not to be. They quickly fell out of top-four contention and were eliminated with a couple of weeks left in the season. Richmond’s DNA under Hardwick and in the middle of their premiership era was built of points from turnover and points from forward half intercepts. In 2022, the Tigers ranked second and first in both these categories but this year, slumped to 13th and 10th in a dramatic drop-off. The Tigers famously won the first of their premierships with a small forward line, a position that has been so profitable for them in their recent era. The Tigers could only manage 27 goals from their small forwards this season, ranking 17th across the competition. With a new coach coming in, will the Tigers get back to what made them formidable or will the Tigers get a new DNA to build their new dynasty?

What they need

An experienced key defender — and it just so happens there are a few on the market this year. The Tigers are well stocked for young key position depth with Tylar Young, Samson Ryan and Jacob Bauer showing signs throughout the year they can fill key posts for the next generation of Richmond. Fellow youngster Josh Gibcus didn’t feature this year as he battled hamstring injuries but is viewed as a player of significant promise at Punt Rd. With Robbie Tarrant and Jack Riewoldt retiring, the recruitment of another key defender would alleviate the pressure on Young (21) and Gibcus (19) in the short term while also allowing the flexibility for Noah Balta to swing forward and line up with Tom Lynch in the forward line. And as mentioned above, a small forward with some scoring power needs to be a priority, whether that’s through the draft or free agency.

What time is it on the premiership clock?

4pm: Richmond ticked past midnight and will attempt to begin the climb back up with a new coach. There is enough quality still on the Tigers list that they could bounce quickly, but are their holes too tricky to fill for a top-four finish in the next couple of years? Maybe they don’t go straight back into contention, but they shouldn’t languish down the bottom for long.

Season grade

D+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-brutal-reviews-for-10-nonfinalists-trade-targets-season-report-card-grades-premiership-clock-analysis/news-story/8909f5faef4d81c141f5e586d3d62239
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 06:39:13 PM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond's 2023 season review: Rated D+ (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »
Reasonable assessment

Don't agree with some of it

I would give us a D-

To me it was a wasted season.

For me the only thing that stopped it from being and E or F was the improvement in the likes Ross, Ryan, Clarke and Miller. Throw in seeing Banks, Brown, Trezise, Coulthard and Bauer debut. Want to give special mention to Young I'll put my hand up and say I've been his biggest critic but his improvement of the course of the season was remarkable

Of course there are those that didn't come on as hoped
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 07:41:43 AM »
Losing Lynch killed our season.

A poor reflection on the clubs list management with key forward development that the likes of Bauer and Bradtke could hardly get a game over a 34yo cooked Jack.

Even if Lynch had stayed fit I think it would have been a low finals spot with an early finish.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:39:18 AM »
It really was an anti climatic season where we never really got going .

Shai and Dusty had reasonable years - but it didn’t amount to much .

Balta can look magnificent- then get a bag kicked on him .

Hopper was extremely underwhelming .

Cumberland , Sonsie and MRJ didn’t take the next step and have gone backwards.

Grimes and Nank aren’t really working as captains.

On the positive side - they have started to blood some youth , which is exciting. A fit Lynch and Gibcus will automatically make us better too .
Unleash the tornado

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 02:17:45 PM »
RICHMOND

Ball movement: 11th

Defending ball movement: 11th

Clearance differential: 12th

Post-clearance contested possession differential: 12th

Overall 'core four' ranking: 12th

Leigh Montagna says: “I’m still bullish on them, I think they can spike next year and absolutely play finals. I still look at their list, they’ve got stacks of talent, and just a new coach and a new voice, whoever that is, tinker with their game plan a little bit. I think they can finish top six.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-fox-footy-first-crack-experts-review-bottom-10-clubs-premiership-profiles-trade-whispers/news-story/969b667d5f2dc1502adb53f90281cb2c

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond's 2023 season reviews [merged]
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 06:40:15 PM »

Andrew Slevison
SEN
29 August 2023

The Key Takeaway: A disappointing 2023

Overall it was a disappointing season for Richmond.

Having recruited heavily last trade period, it was expected that the Tigers would at least play finals again.

Fast forward to today and they have ended 2023 in 13th with just 10 wins.

Damien Hardwick up and left, Tom Lynch could barely grace the turf, while Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt opted to call time as the club begins to look to the future.

In the end it was an unfulfilling year which at one stage had promised so much.

The Positive: Youngsters looked good at the elite level

Debutants James Trezise and Tom Brown looked solid at the elite level in their AFL debuts.

Mid-season recruit Trezise appeared at ease across half-back, picking up 17 disposals with 13 kicks, six intercept possessions, five tackles, five rebound 50s and 405 metres gained - only Jayden Short and Dustin Martin had more metres.

Brown played a little deeper in defence than his fellow debutant, but was also decent. He had 16 touches including 12 kicks at 88 per cent efficiency, along with six intercepts, six marks and four rebound 50s.

Throw in another assured performance from Sam Banks, who had 13 disposals and kicked his first AFL goal, and there are a few potential gems set to shine through at Tigerland.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/28/overreactions-positives-negatives-and-undroppables-for-all-18-afl-teams-in-24/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 01:18:50 AM »
The good and bad of the non-finals teams and where they can get better in 2024

How do you turn an also-ran into a premiership contender? MICK MCGUANE pinpoints the reasons for optimism at every club which missed out on this year’s finals.

Mick McGuane
HeraldSun
September 1, 2023

RICHMOND

THE GOOD

The Tigers struggled to get their balance right between offence and defence in the first half of the season, but caretaker coach Andrew McQualter was able to open up the scoring after he took over in round 11.

Under McQualter’s reign, the Tigers ranked No. 1 in the competition for scoring once inside 50 and fifth for points from their forward half.

Those numbers were achieved despite some poor conversion in front of goal at times and key focal point Tom Lynch not being sighted after round 4.

Lynch will be a massive inclusion in 2024, but he will need a new partner in attack after the retirement of Jack Riewoldt.

Ben Miller does not look capable of holding down a key position spot, but I have great faith that Samson Ryan can explode with his game next season and become the perfect foil to Lynch.

THE BAD

The once heralded Tigers’ team defence failed them far too often this season.

However, they weren’t helped by a midfield group that struggled to gain territory.

Richmond at its best has been a team that has one of the highest time in forward half differentials in the competition.

Gaining territory on the back of strong midfield contest wins and locking it in their F50 is Richmond’s way.

This season they ranked 13th for time in forward half, as well as 15th for inside-50 differential.

There needs to be a big emphasis put on improving the front-half profile over the off-season.

Recruits Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper were supposed to help bolster the midfield, but while Taranto produced a great season Hopper was not up to par.

He needs to get his body right and launch into a big summer in a bid to rediscover the best footy he played at GWS and justify his seven-year deal at Punt Rd.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/mick-mcguane-the-good-and-bad-of-the-nonfinals-teams-and-where-they-can-get-better-in-2024/news-story/06e08ab6a7d5218304502a48fba95636

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 08:03:19 AM »
The good and bad of the non-finals teams and where they can get better in 2024

How do you turn an also-ran into a premiership contender? MICK MCGUANE pinpoints the reasons for optimism at every club which missed out on this year’s finals.

Mick McGuane
HeraldSun
September 1, 2023

RICHMOND

THE GOOD

The Tigers struggled to get their balance right between offence and defence in the first half of the season, but caretaker coach Andrew McQualter was able to open up the scoring after he took over in round 11.

Under McQualter’s reign, the Tigers ranked No. 1 in the competition for scoring once inside 50 and fifth for points from their forward half.

Those numbers were achieved despite some poor conversion in front of goal at times and key focal point Tom Lynch not being sighted after round 4.

Lynch will be a massive inclusion in 2024, but he will need a new partner in attack after the retirement of Jack Riewoldt.

Ben Miller does not look capable of holding down a key position spot, but I have great faith that Samson Ryan can explode with his game next season and become the perfect foil to Lynch.

THE BAD

The once heralded Tigers’ team defence failed them far too often this season.

However, they weren’t helped by a midfield group that struggled to gain territory.

Richmond at its best has been a team that has one of the highest time in forward half differentials in the competition.

Gaining territory on the back of strong midfield contest wins and locking it in their F50 is Richmond’s way.

This season they ranked 13th for time in forward half, as well as 15th for inside-50 differential.

There needs to be a big emphasis put on improving the front-half profile over the off-season.

Recruits Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper were supposed to help bolster the midfield, but while Taranto produced a great season Hopper was not up to par.

He needs to get his body right and launch into a big summer in a bid to rediscover the best footy he played at GWS and justify his seven-year deal at Punt Rd.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/mick-mcguane-the-good-and-bad-of-the-nonfinals-teams-and-where-they-can-get-better-in-2024/news-story/06e08ab6a7d5218304502a48fba95636

last year 7 games

this year probably double and were mostly poor.

Lazy arse took the 7 years now has to give us something or pee him off.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 07:34:51 PM »

Season 2023 would likely be classified as a disappointment for most Richmond supporters.

It promised so much when the club went all out to recruit Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper from GWS, blowing up their draft capital in the process.

Fast forward to today and the Tigers are watching the finals series from afar after a campaign which saw three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick walk away, long-time leaders Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt call time, and gun forward Tom Lynch sidelined for the majority.

The premiership era is well and truly over, but how long does the rebuild take?

- Andrew Slevison

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/04/summing-up-your-afl-clubs-2023-season-in-100ish-words/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 08:19:17 PM »
Reasonable assessment

Don't agree with some of it

I would give us a D-

To me it was a wasted season.

For me the only thing that stopped it from being and E or F was the improvement in the likes Ross, Ryan, Clarke and Miller. Throw in seeing Banks, Brown, Trezise, Coulthard and Bauer debut. Want to give special mention to Young I'll put my hand up and say I've been his biggest critic but his improvement of the course of the season was remarkable

Of course there are those that didn't come on as hoped

Did you really think we could win the flag with the current list ?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »

Did you really think we could win the flag with the current list ?

Our list fully fit with our soft draw should have made top 4

Flag? Who knows, name the top 4 and you are a show
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 10:58:29 AM »
AFL CHAMPION’S TALKING POINTS FOR THE CLUBS THAT FINISHED 13TH TO 9TH IN 2023

BY SEN
5 September 2023

Where to from here?

That was the question on the lips of the SEN Sportsday team in relation to the clubs that finished from 13th to 9th in 2023.

Western Bulldogs champion Brad Johnson shone the spotlight on each of those teams - Richmond, Geelong, Essendon, Adelaide and the Bulldogs - in providing a quick review of what happened this year and where they go next.

Read his thoughts below:

RICHMOND (13th)

Johnno says: “Tom Lynch missed, a coach change, we wait to see what happens with the Tigers.

“I think it’s pretty simple for where they go. They’re going for a young coach. Chris Newman, maybe ‘Gia’ (Daniel Giansiracusa) and Andrew McQualter is well and truly in the mix.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/04/afl-champions-talking-points-for-the-clubs-that-finished-13th-to-9th-in-2023/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 08:11:28 PM »
We had the equal second most debutants this year with six. Hawthorn had the most with seven.

Richmond (6): Tylar Young, Sam Banks, Jacob Bauer, Matthew Coulthard, Tom Brown, James Trezise.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1024532/new-faces-which-club-topped-the-charts-for-afl-debuts-in-2023

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 04:29:10 PM »
Year in review: Your club's 2023 analysed, what to expect in 2024

Damian Barrett & Nat Edwards
afl.com.au
24 December 2023

LISTEN from 5:13 min mark: https://omny.fm/shows/afl-daily/2023-season-in-review-st-kilda-and-richmond

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 05:28:40 AM »
Year in review: Your club's 2023 analysed, what to expect in 2024

Damian Barrett & Nat Edwards
afl.com.au
24 December 2023

LISTEN from 5:13 min mark: https://omny.fm/shows/afl-daily/2023-season-in-review-st-kilda-and-richmond

I’d rather listen to 2 cats fighting than this campaigner