Author Topic: AFLW R9: Richmond vs Geelong @ Princes Park, Sat. Oct. 28  (Read 5291 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: AFLW R9: Richmond vs Geelong @ Princes Park, Sat. Oct. 28
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2023, 08:18:46 AM »

Wasted season

You used the same saying in possibly 100 posts through the AFL season, but surely the care factor can’t be close to similar in this rubbish???

It is. I'm and have always been heavily invested in our women's prog4am and women's sport in general. Throw in I just love my Club and I want it to be successful

So bitterly disappointed with what I've witnessed this season.

When I pointed out there was some girls that were festively plump, I was shut down pretty firmly.. it’s a fact ..

I'll put my hand up and say yep I got annoyed when you used the term fat. I hate that term for reasons I won't go into here

With regard to sport there can be a difference IMO between players being overweight and not being fit.

And this season that has shown with some of our players. We have players who are not overweight but are simply not fit.

I also question the type of fitness program they've undertaken. There are some players that used to have decent speed but due to them having been (it would appear) been concentrating on increased muscle build in the legs they are now as slow as treacle. Have seen the same happen with blokes and the it just gets said they bulked up too much

but with women it stands out more and then by extension they get attacked because of their body shape and get labelled "fat".

MT, hit the nail on the head there needs to be a full review but the review needs and include the head of the program, she seems to be immune for any criticism. But having said that I do wonder at times would a review would be worth it. Why? Because I've been questioning for a while now how seriously the Club take our women's program because their refusal to field our own VFLW teams is an indictment.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:19:07 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »
I actually think it’s the other way. Our women are actually underweight. Pushed out of 1vs1 contests way too easily and lack strength.

Coupled with lack of fitness (think slim but not aerobically fit gaming nerd build) and that’s our physical make up.

It’s not fair because they’re a national team but take the Matilda’s for example. We need players who can be physical while charging down the line like Caitlin foord, or someone strong like Sam Kerr .

The good news is now with the sport having better exposure the aflw draft is attracting a larger pool of fit women. But with the way the women’s program is managed at the moment it’s gonna be 37 years at least till we get some success

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2023, 12:35:02 PM »
Grieser is a massive spud. Worse than Fresdericks. Can’t believe Sheehan has made the same mistake again

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2023, 12:39:38 PM »
but with women it stands out more and then by extension they get attacked because of their body shape and get labelled "fat".

I appreciate you response
But I’m going to call you out on this BIG TIME

Woman get attacked ?? LMAO

The media has no problem whatsoever pointing out if a male player is out of shape .. men get body shamed and nobody thinks anything of it

When this happens to a woman the earth stops spinning

Spare me the whole woman get attacked nonsense …

It’s exactly the opposite

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2023, 01:22:57 PM »

The media has no problem whatsoever pointing out if a male player is out of shape .. men get body shamed and nobody thinks anything of it

Just ask Mark Knight.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2023, 03:41:48 PM »

You're not seriously trying to claim that us blokes get publicly judged more harshly on their looks and bodies than women do?! :huh3

It seems every time our women's team loses, the critics who are no fans of the AFLW in the first place, latch on to the fact women's body shapes are different to men's and squeal they lost because "they're fat" and not because of standard footy criticism like the gameplan sucks or individual players X, Y & Z aren't simply up to AFLW level ability wise (i.e. they're duds). I'm not saying male players don't cope (unfair) abuse from the crowd or on social media (which affects their mental health) but typically that is focused on their footy ability & smarts (or rather lack of both). As WP said, there's a difference between weight/body-shape and fitness. The Prespakis sisters are solidly built women who are both superstars and each made mince meat of us. We lose because we have too many players who aren't up to AFLW level plus a dud clueless gameplan that reminds me of this old pic I used to post for the men's team under Frawley & Wallace and even Dimma 2016-version.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2023, 03:47:40 PM »
Ferguson post-match

Ryan Ferguson speaks to the media following the Round 9 match against Geelong:

Watch here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1458252/aflw-r9-ferguson-post-match

Gabby Seymour has a syndesmosis (ankle) injury. So, her season is over.

No mention of Brennan but it wouldn't surprise me if she doesn't play in next week's dead rubber either after getting her foot/ankle caught under an opponent. She was in a lot of pain initially but played the game out.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2023, 04:19:57 PM »
Didn’t kick a goal till the last

Sums up AFLW

Shambles
No, it only sums us up and our dud gameplan (if you can call it one), our lack of fitness, and our lack of any depth. Geelong played well aside from their goalkicking and should have won by 10+ goals. We're gone so far backwards this year it's not funny. That's on the coach and fitness staff.

Give both our men's and women's seasons have been stuffed up by a lack of fitness and a long injury list, the Club needs a total review of our fitness, strength and conditioning department. Plus, don't try and treat us supporters as mugs by listing players as "2-4 weeks" away week after week when they are gone for the season. They did it with Gibcus, Lynch and now Ellie McKenzie. Not good enough! 

A totally wasted season as WP said. Katie Brennan is 31. She isn't going to be around forever and we're wasting her last few best years because standards at the Club have dramatically dropped. The latter goes for our men's team too.

Lack of fitness this late in the season.

Unacceptable

When I pointed out there was some girls that were festively plump, I was shut down pretty firmly.. it’s a fact ..

Also, the shambles of kicking one goal ISNT JUST US

Week seven
Carlton - 1 goal
West coast and western bulldogs- 2 goals
Four teams - 3 goals

Week eight
Multiple teams - 2 goals
Multiple teams - 3 goals

Crap standard
Rubbish teams in the bottom end of the ladder playing rubbish footy. Been that way for 160 years. The AFLW is only into its 8th season. Expecting it to be like the men's comp. that has been around for 127 years (and longer if you include the VFA years) is unrealistic. In the men's 8th VFL season (1904), scoring was low. Only Fitzroy scored more than 50 pts in a game across the whole finals series and they were the best teams in the league at that time.

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1904.html

We should be focusing on the fact that this round we will likely be the lowest scoring team and it's an indictment on us that this year clubs such as Essendon, Gold Coast, Sydney and St Kilda, that either joined the comp at the same time or later than we did, have gone well past us and at least three of the four of them are likely to be playing finals this year. We need a review of the whole footy dept in general as well as our AFLW set-up as WP said. The Club has become complacent on the back of the men's 2017-2020 success and standards have dropped significantly across the board.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:23:51 PM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2023, 12:38:54 PM »
Tigers hopes have been dashed

With a decisive 38-point loss to Geelong on Saturday evening, Richmond's hopes of making back-to-back finals series are all but dashed. Now outside the final eight on both points and percentage, the top-four Tigers of season seven are long gone. Battling poor player availability all season has certainly hurt the side all year, dipping into its train on players twice already, but a real inefficiency going forward has hurt even more. Getting the ball forward just 19 times, and generating a shot on goal from just 36.8 per cent of those, Richmond's chemistry in attack simply hasn't clicked this year, and the absence of contested marking powerhouse Courtney Wakefield through retirement has been felt keenly. Going forward, while player fitness and depth will no doubt be a focus for Ryan Ferguson and his Tigers, finding connection in the front half should be priority No.1 as it looks to bounce back in 2024.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1058757/icymi-r9

Online Hart4Jack

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »

We need to do a rethink imo, our current list is way out of line on what's needed in this competition.

Far too slow & unskilled.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »
Coaches' votes (Ferguson & Lowther)

Richmond v Geelong

10 Georgie Prespakis GEEL
6 Jacqueline Parry GEEL
6 Amy McDonald GEEL
4 Claudia Gunjaca GEEL
2 Nina Morrison GEEL
1 Chantel Emonson GEEL
1 Bethany Lynch RICH

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1062305/best-of-the-best-north-melbourne-jasmine-garner-secures-legacy-with-unique-triple-crown-aflca-champion-player