Author Topic: Get rid of pokies  (Read 3876 times)

Moi

Get rid of pokies
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:07:42 PM »
Thinking about going to Crown tonight, thought about how i hate this form of entertainment???
Idiots sitting hour after hour with their eyes glued to these things - like robots - and they call that entertainment.
Bands used to play at pubs in my day - don't know how many good live venues are left.
Is there still a good live music industry here in Melbourne?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Get rid of pokies
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:28:41 PM »
Thinking about going to Crown tonight, thought about how i hate this form of entertainment???
Idiots sitting hour after hour with their eyes glued to these things - like robots - and they call that entertainment.
Bands used to play at pubs in my day - don't know how many good live venues are left.
Is there still a good live music industry here in Melbourne?

Go to inner city pubs and clubs if you want to hear bands. The outer suburbs pubs are now for sitdown meals and yep pokies.

Slot machines are the pits  :sleep although any "game" you play is designed to make money for the venue so you know your odds on to lose. Rather play cards myself. We played Euchre, Swedish 500 and an Italian card game called skoopa (sp?) as well as poker growing up in our family. Texas hold-em poker is pretty good but I always seem to get crap hands when playing poker lol.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
I play 500 - what's Swedish 500?
Your playing partner is a blonde or something? lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »
I play 500 - what's Swedish 500?
Your playing partner is a blonde or something? lol

;D

You start with a 52 deck of cards and each player is dealt 7 (or 10 if just two people) cards and the remainder of the deck is placed in the middle of the table face down. The object of the game is to form runs of three or more of the same suit or three or more of a kind so it's a bit like rummy. Cards 2-9 are worth 5 points, 10,J,Q,K = 10 points and the Ace is worth 15 unless you have a run of A,2,3,... where it is only worth 5.

The player to left of the dealer goes first and they pick up the top card from the deck. They then place a card face up next to the deck. The next player can either pickthe top card from the deck or pick up the face up cards. If they pick up the face-up cards they need to put down a run or kind of three cards in front of them or they lose 50 points. The runs/kinds you put down in front of you are your scoring cards. After someone puts down all their cards as runs and kinds or the deck becomes empty, everyone adds up their points from the runs/kinds they have created subtracting the points from any cards they get caught with in their hand. The first person to reach 500 points after so many hands wins.

Sounds complicated typing it down but it's quite easy to pick up if you're playing it.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd