Author Topic: Collision vs Contact sport  (Read 1903 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Collision vs Contact sport
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:44:32 AM »
Not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but this is one of Wallace's comments:

"With this incident there is a clear message that we no longer have a collision sport — we have a contact sport," Wallace said. "American football is a collision sport, rugby league is a collision sport (and) up until now I think Australian rules has been a collision sport.

"I think there has been a clear message that ours has actually changed from a collision sport to a contact sport. Whether that is right or wrong, everyone will have their judgement calls on that."

The Age article was so poor that I couldn't tell whether the quote was taken before or after the overturning of the suspension, but it is a valid point and I struggle to see how footy can be a contest of raw physical strength (as well as stamina and speed and skill) when players are pulled up for absolutely beautiful hip and shoulders. I'm sick of it and can hardly stand to watch a game that doesn't involve the Tigers anymore.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Collision vs Contact sport
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
Jake, the quote from Wallace was before the Staff's tribunal hearing.

----------------------------------------------------

Wallace, AFL on collision course
02 August 2006   Herald-Sun
Bruce Matthews

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has called on the AFL to clearly define the options for players in a contest for the ball.

Wallace, who now brackets the game with soccer and basketball for physical contact, said the DVD issued to clubs at the start of the season was not extensive enough to cover all situations.

"When you look at sports around the world, American football is a collision sport, rugby league is a collision sport and up until now, Australian rules has been a collision sport," he said.

"I think the contact sports are the international series (hybrid Gaelic game), soccer, basketball, and there has been a clear message that ours has actually changed from a collision sport to a contact sport."

Wallace said players were confused. The Tigers had planned for Greg Stafford to join the coach at his media conference yesterday to talk of his impending 200th game because the club believed the ruckman had done nothing wrong in an incident with Saint Brendon Goddard at the MCG on Saturday, despite him being cited by the match review panel for rough conduct.

"There has been a clear message from the AFL that they've changed the boundaries of where our sport now lies," Wallace said.

"Clearly what now happens is that we have to give stronger determination (to players), and we would like the AFL to give strong determination of what are the options a player has when those circumstances occur.

"You sit there and you just wonder what were the other alternatives. I'm not sure.

"We get video footage at the start of the year about what's going to be acceptable and what's not. I haven't seen anything that gives a clear indication of what you can do in certain circumstances.

"I would have thought that either player (Stafford or Goddard) could have been seriously hurt if they had taken an alternative option.

"Clearly what I'm looking for at the end of this, regardless (of the result), is what are the alternatives, what do you do?"

Wallace also said he would not use "they gave up" comments by young Bulldog Ryan Griffen about the Tigers after their Round 1 thrashing as motivation for Saturday's match.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19992321%255E20322,00.html

Ox

Re: Collision vs Contact sport
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
Poofters game. :'(