Author Topic: Malthouse rates Richmond's season a C+  (Read 5779 times)

dwaino

Re: Malthouse rates Richmond's season a C+
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:36 AM »
So your saying then that North who finished 9th last year, who would be more than expecting to jump into the 8 this year, who were gifted the softest Draw possible have had very minimal injurys and who are currently below us on the ladder have preformed better this season than we have?
If you honestly believe they have then you have really lost the plot!

North have been belted by Sydney and Hawthorn, beaten by West Coast, bulldogs and Port  had narrow wins over Geelong (sheer fluke) Brisbane and the Gold Coast and there only two other wins were against GWS and the Gold Coast the first time they played them! I would rate that a D at best and the only reason it's not a D- is because of there fluke win over Geelong.

Sorry, you disagree with Craw  and are thus blind, foolish and deluded. I hereby command you to cease this nonsense  >:(

tony_montana

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Expectations coming into the season.
What players they have to work with.
Injuries thru the season.

the more i think about it the more mick has it spot on with most sides.

do people actually read whats been written and pay heed to the criteria that sets the rating?  the answer to that is no bloody way emotions get in the way to analise a thing.
its funny. its like bloody hell that nuffer malthouse only gave us a c+  never mind the criteria hes a dimwit who knows nothing.

cmon you lot cant have it both ways we either have heaps of talent to work with or we dont. we have either had heaps of injuries right thruout or we havent.
to me i think with us the only thing hes got wrong is the expectation bit we are around where most thought we would finish if not higher.
his expectation though may well have been different to ours.

just my opinion but i think mick has placed a huge emphasis on injury and because of injury what teams have had to work with.  hence collingwood getting an a+ .people should toughen up and stop being so precious.

If we're talking marked on expectation and talent, then you'd give us an A+ claw... according to you we have about 10-12 keepers players on the list, the rest are expendable = a loooooooooooooooong way to go and you rate players like Cotchin, Martin and Deledio as reasonable players and Reiwoldt a D+/C- player. You constantly tell us in your patronizing way how stuffing poo we are, so why on earth would you say now that we are about where youd expect us to be? what a load of rubbish, on expectation we should have been 3-9 now.

the claw

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
Expectations coming into the season.
What players they have to work with.
Injuries thru the season.

the more i think about it the more mick has it spot on with most sides.

do people actually read whats been written and pay heed to the criteria that sets the rating?  the answer to that is no bloody way emotions get in the way to analise a thing.
its funny. its like bloody hell that nuffer malthouse only gave us a c+  never mind the criteria hes a dimwit who knows nothing.

cmon you lot cant have it both ways we either have heaps of talent to work with or we dont. we have either had heaps of injuries right thruout or we havent.
to me i think with us the only thing hes got wrong is the expectation bit we are around where most thought we would finish if not higher.
his expectation though may well have been different to ours.

just my opinion but i think mick has placed a huge emphasis on injury and because of injury what teams have had to work with.  hence collingwood getting an a+ .people should toughen up and stop being so precious.

If we're talking marked on expectation and talent, then you'd give us an A+ claw... according to you we have about 10-12 keepers players on the list, the rest are expendable = a loooooooooooooooong way to go and you rate players like Cotchin, Martin and Deledio as reasonable players and Reiwoldt a D+/C- player. You constantly tell us in your patronizing way how stuffing poo we are, so why on earth would you say now that we are about where youd expect us to be? what a load of rubbish, on expectation we should have been 3-9 now.
i had us at 12th 13th my appraisal was a tad pessimistic compared to most. most had us higher so mick has it right. this aint about me bud but malthouse.me i  still think we will finish around 12th if we have injuries.
believe i do ratings on players every yr deledio has been rated an A by me for yrs now. riewoldt borderline A/B Cotchin very good player thats a B rating  and would become an a grade player elite. i think that has happened this yr with consistent performance.

foley i have regularly rated c/b that is a good to very good player. unlike you nuffers i rxpect players to earn their accolades thru high standard consistent performances over a decent  period of time.

and get it right ive said we have 14 to 16 definate players on the list, that is players rated from good  - thru v/good  - to elite and some of them are yet to play consistent good footy.some are barely over glass half fulls and a couple are very close to retirement.
 the keepers are conca, cotchin, deledio, foley grimes, maric, martin, morris newman, rance riewoldt, tuck  grigg and houli just.

in development and looking likely to make it  ellis dea and batchelor?
others still in development but have played afl  vickery, astbury griffiths, ohanlon post helbig browne.
leaves just two kids on the  list proper who have not played a game. elton, arnot.
i rate all these guys very much a D = Development. it includes vickery who if i had to rate on performance alone he would be below standard.

it leaves older players in the gun. there are others who i think should be in this group but am holding off.
edwards - despite a good block of games as a small forward like in some previous yrs he may have done enough to avoid the cut again. when hes poor hes very poor.atm id give him a C.
moore - 29 yr old at start of next yr having missed so much footy i dont see it has only really given us two good seasons as it is.
webberley - seems hes just not up to it.
mcguane  - a dud has always been a dud.
jackson - another below standard player who gets a regular game.
nahas - one sided tiny vfl player just doesnt have the skill set. below standard .
derickx - 25 yo cant get a kick at coburg. was a ruckman before we got him god knows what he is now.
king - the feral favorite just a vfl player who gives it his all.
connors - has some talent but has a lot of weaknesses in his game as well 6 yrs for a player of his type is an awful long time to make it.
macdonald - not a senior but hes gone.
graham - they wont play him whats the point in keeping him.

only thing left is rookies.
miller - below standard.
maric - has talent but lacks in a lot of areas.
heslin -  gone home.
verrier, darrou, wright, turner. all kids all first yr will likely get the mandatory 2 yrs.
theres every chance we wont get a player out of the rookies at best if we get lucky we may get one or two thats just the nature and history of the rookie draft.

so now we have cleared what i actually think up and have regularly said  i think mick has it right.
as far as expectations go we are about where most had us. we have had little injury and we do have a reasonable core group that yes is shallow and lacking depth and is open to the ravages of injury which hasnt happened yet.

well done mick a concise and accurate appraisal of us this yr based on your criteria.

tony_montana

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
 Cbf reading through all that again.... but I reckon I can hazard a pretty accurate guess at what you're saying... :santa

Contrary to what you think,  "most" didn't have us going for finals which is what MM obviouslymeans by high expectations, don't know what fantasy land you've been living in, but most supporters I know, hoped but didn't think we'd play finals this year. As for the "experts" all bar one or 2 from all forms of media had us outside the 8. So I'll ask again, where are these high expectations coming from that you and MM speak of?

the claw

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
Cbf reading through all that again.... but I reckon I can hazard a pretty accurate guess at what you're saying... :santa

Contrary to what you think,  "most" didn't have us going for finals which is what MM obviously means by high expectations, don't know what fantasy land you've been living in, but most supporters I know, hoped but didn't think we'd play finals this year. As for the "experts" all bar one or 2 from all forms of media had us outside the 8. So I'll ask again, where are these high expectations coming from that you and MM speak of?
ppppffffttt go have a look at big footy or pre most on there have weekly picked us to win.  and your wrong most supporters i spoke to thought 7 or 8th a real possibility it may well still happen.

as for players to work with most nuffers had about 5 tigers in the aa squad a few weeks ago. as for injury and hence our ability to perform we have had little.

sorry at the end of the day when it comes to his appraisal on us useing his criteria   i agree with mick but hey what would he know.

if i listen to tiger nuffers we have the best midfield, the best forward  the best fb and the best ruckman  ffs we should be on top of the ladder.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »

Contrary to what you think,  "most" didn't have us going for finals which is what MM obviously means by high expectations, don't know what fantasy land you've been living in, but most supporters I know, hoped but didn't think we'd play finals this year. As for the "experts" all bar one or 2 from all forms of media had us outside the 8. So I'll ask again, where are these high expectations coming from that you and MM speak of?
ppppffffttt go have a look at big footy or pre most on there have weekly picked us to win.  and your wrong most supporters i spoke to thought 7 or 8th a real possibility it may well still happen.

as for players to work with most nuffers had about 5 tigers in the aa squad a few weeks ago. as for injury and hence our ability to perform we have had little.

sorry at the end of the day when it comes to his appraisal on us useing his criteria   i agree with mick but hey what would he know.

if i listen to tiger nuffers we have the best midfield, the best forward  the best fb and the best ruckman  ffs we should be on top of the ladder.

:laugh:

tony_montana

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »

If you choose to go to BF and try to have serious discussions over there, then thats your prerogative, but dont use that as the criteria for "most" richmond supporters to justify your tripe.  I am not wrong, most supporters on this site, and in my circle ie mates and work collegues never thought we were a realistic shot at finals this season, most thought everything would have to go perfectly right to give us a shot. I have not seen one single person say 5 tigers in the AA side, dont know where youre pulling that from. Lids and Cotch are in, Maric, Jack and Rance have made it in some peoples AA side at the half way mark, nothing wrong with that, right now those 5 would be in the 40 man squad and around the mark.

This constant you vs the world battle you have concocted in your little mind is starting to get old mate. Most people on this site, know exactly where the club is at and dont need you nagging like a fuddy ol woman every thread

dwaino

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
  I am not wrong, most supporters on this site, and in my circle ie mates and work collegues never thought we were a realistic shot at finals this season, most thought everything would have to go perfectly right to give us a shot.

Read back through everyone's predictions twice, and this is 100% the truth.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »

so now we have cleared what i actually think up and have regularly said  i think mick has it right.
as far as expectations go we are about where most had us. we have had little injury and we do have a reasonable core group that yes is shallow and lacking depth and is open to the ravages of injury which hasnt happened yet.

well done mick a concise and accurate appraisal of us this yr based on your criteria.

You missed Matt White there claw.

Also 50% (at 6/6) was a D+ when I was at school. Perhaps the C+ is for the special effort in beating higher ranked sides.

Nonetheless agree with Mick on the Tigs rating. North on the other hand a B hmmm ......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »

Nonetheless agree with Mick on the Tigs rating. North on the other hand a B hmmm ......

And I think that's what most of us on here think too DT, not overly concerned with Mick's assessment of us but his rating of North is a shocker!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »
Malthouse clearly took the 3-0-75 plan literally if he thinks we were talking finals before the start of the season. Most Tiger supporters weren't and those that did were only saying we would if we got lucky and everything went out way (no injuries, everyone in form, etc....). Mick also gave us that ratings with the Freo loss fresh in his mind so he was down on us for losing that game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
I must have interpreted the 3 finals in 5 years thing wrong. I thought it meant 1 final the first year, then 2 the second (as in winning one and playing a semi).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:35 AM »
I must have interpreted the 3 finals in 5 years thing wrong. I thought it meant 1 final the first year, then 2 the second (as in winning one and playing a semi).
It was definitely making the finals in 3 of the 5 years (2010-2014) which coming into this season had to mean 3 years in a row 2012-14. The Club has stated publicly the "development years" are over and I know privately from late last year the Club's aim was to make the finals this year even though personally I didn't believe we could make it given our list is still on the young and inexperienced side.   

The more out there statement was 3 flags by 2020. After waiting 32 years and counting, I'll be happy with us getting our hands on one first of all before 2020 :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
It was definitely making the finals in 3 of the 5 years (2010-2014) which coming into this season had to mean 3 years in a row 2012-14. The Club has stated publicly the "development years" are over and I know privately from late last year the Club's aim was to make the finals this year even though personally I didn't believe we could make it given our list is still on the young and inexperienced side.   

The more out there statement was 3 flags by 2020. After waiting 32 years and counting, I'll be happy with us getting our hands on one first of all before 2020 :yep.

3 of the 5 years is rough :( That's why I interpreted it as 3 finals in 2 years. The first 3 years to 'get there,' 4th to get into a final then the 5th year to actually win a final. It wasn't a bad call for the club and players this year though to say the aim was finals. It's better than saying "we don't aim for finals this year." At the start of the year my honest thought was we were dead set up for another 9th since I knew we would improve on the  last few years, but just miss out by a game or percentage. I'll be devastated if we miss out by only a game because it means we were so close, but at the start I never thought we were serious finalists anyway. Sneaking into a final this year would be amazing for the players though, even if it's getting thumped by 100 points. The experience alone would be something massive to take into next year.