Author Topic: Above age rookies  (Read 2186 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Above age rookies
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:53:02 AM »
This could be handy for us to have a semi-decent mature body as back-up given our young list especially at times like now with so many injuries and sore and tired bodies. Humm and Howat are pseudo-mature types but I can't see them surviving IMO. Humm wouldn't be allowed to anyway under the current (old) rules.

Do we soley go for youngsters like Graham and previous rookies Thursfied, Foley and Moore or do we pick up a starring state league player such a Jeremy Clayton from the SANFL or dare I say even a Woewodin or Cupido just to chuck a few names out there for discussion?  :outtahere

Thoughts?

■The AFL is set to allow recruitment of rookie-list players older than the current maximum age of 23.

■ Increases in minimum pay for first and second-year players (10 per cent) and rookies (15 per cent) next year.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=3590.from1154535801;topicseen#msg39829

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Above age rookies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:23:11 AM »
Totally depends - I dont follow all this rookie list eligibilty and stuff. Clayton would be worth a shot, dare say he would be great playing for Coburg judging by his SANL form averaging 27 pos a game. He is very small at 173 so depends what we are looking for.
Stupido - Who knows wildcard that one. W W W cant even say it - you cannot be serious  ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 08:36:02 AM »
I'd steer well clear of Woewoeful and Cupido. Both lazy footballers. Looking at local league players like Clayton might be a good option. I think the club needs to work out who's going first and then plan for who will take their place.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:51:54 AM »
Not Woewoeful, no way. The Jana Pittman of football, he's too slow.

Cupido has both Adelaide teams interested, he got a bit of a reality check when he went from AFL to selling curtains, and is trying his guts out and apparently dominating in the SANFL. Don't think i'd want him though.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
I actually see it as a great idea but I would say if you have a 23-25year old mature age rookie then the rest of your rookies should no older than 20.

I watch Coburg every week and you see a lot of 22-23 y.o's running around who've obviously developed late and under the old system would have missed their chance of being rookied. This system will present those guys with another opportunity. At Coburg they have a kid called Jake King (no. 13) who's having a excellent year who with this change has great opportunity to get rookied.

BTW -the Tiges should look at this kid - he's a tough nut  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »
you see a lot of 22-23 y.o's running around who've obviously developed late and under the old system would have missed their chance of being rookied. This system will present those guys with another opportunity.

That's why I like the idea. Since the TAC Cup and VFL replaced the Ressies and U19's anyone who is a late develop has had a tough time making it to the big time. You look at Tucky. After being discarded by the Hawks he could have walked away from the game or stayed in Vic in just a Metro comp. Thankfully he persisted and went to West Adelaide under Shaun Rehn and luckily we took a punt on him with a late pick. This new plan will allow his types to stay around a AFL club and develop. In the past we've been hopeless exploiting our rookie list to find these late developers. Hopefully now we can.

Quote from: wayne
Not Woewoeful, no way. The Jana Pittman of football, he's too slow.

:rollin
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
Shane Tuck is a superstar hard nosed midfielder therefore i support rookying older players. Deadset superstar!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:21:54 PM »
Shane Tuck is a superstar hard nosed midfielder therefore i support rookying older players. Deadset superstar!

Ah the sincerity  ;D

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »

Ah the sincerity  ;D

Hes a 25 to 30 possession a game is winner is Tucky. Hate to lose him to a club that wants to raid us. Hopefully hes under contract and we fight tooth and nail to keep him but you know if we get raided for Tucky lets hope we hang tough and get a good deal  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
League signals new rule for mature rookies (The Age)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 02:18:54 AM »
League signals new rule for mature rookies
The Age
September 8, 2006

AFL clubs will from this year be able to draft one mature-age rookie provided the player has never been on an AFL list. The new rule will mean clubs can draft as a rookie a player over 23 from any competition, provided it is affiliated with the AFL.

The league has written to the clubs in recent weeks outlining the change, which at this stage is an in-principle agreement it has made with the AFL Players Association. All that remains is for the new collective bargaining agreement to be completed and the AFL rules amended.

Another change to the rookie system will allow clubs to relist a rookie player for three years as opposed to the present situation where a player must go back into the rookie draft after two years.

LYALL JOHNSON

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/09/07/1157222264612.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 05:36:43 PM »
Well that counts out Jeremy Clayton as he was on North's list previously.

I can't think of another mature rookie but as far as rookies go I hear Aaron Davey has a younger? brother Alwyn at South Adelaide.

Port supporters in SA also rate Adam Cockshell 19 yo 199 cm 102 kg forward from Norwood and Justin Westhoff from Centrals 19, 197/84.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
Cupido has both Adelaide teams interested, he got a bit of a reality check when he went from AFL to selling curtains, and is trying his guts out and apparently dominating in the SANFL. Don't think i'd want him though.

Saw Cupido on ABC2 in the SANFL.

When you mentioned selling curtains, I thought you may have said selling moo-moo's to hide his ample girth!!

What drought ???  Been in very good paddock he has.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 05:53:25 PM »
The new rule gives Cupido and Woey no chance.