Author Topic: Risking head and skin for destination Tigerland (BPL)  (Read 1510 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Risking head and skin for destination Tigerland (BPL)
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
Risking head and skin for destination Tigerland
By Murray Middleton
backpagelead.com.au
June 5, 2012

I've always been fascinated by the Richmond psyche. It's a similar fascination to that which I experience whenever I witness a vagrant ranting in the city. I couldn't begin to relate to it, but I'm sure there's some joy to be derived from the sheer effervescence of the state.

Last Friday night I witnessed three distinct emotions amongst the Tiger Army:

1. Exuberance – When Jack Riewoldt hoofed the ball into the top tier of Etihad Stadium in the dying minutes.

2. Relief – The palpable expression on CEO Brendon Gale's face when the final siren sounded.

3. Hope – The unspoken sense of excitement that underpinned Matthew Richardson's post-match interview with Damian Hardwick.

Last Monday night I gained another insight into the Richmond psyche when I bumped into the wicketkeeper from my cricket team. He is a lawyer (I call him 'Suit' and he calls me 'Beatnik') and a committed Richmond supporter. He's worn many barbs about his beloved team in recent summers.

There was a foreign look in Suit's eyes. It might have been hope. Or exuberance. Or relief. Seeing a dignified man in his 30's riding a bicycle late at night, wearing a Richmond jumper affirmed to me that the Tigers are finally stirring. It's a phenomenon that I've heard about, but never actually seen.

This time two years ago, Damian Hardwick was in the same leaky boat Mark Neeld is currently adrift in. Both coaches lost their first nine matches and both, funnily enough, were set the unenviable task of rebuilding from a rebuild. There is also an air of symmetry about their players' reactions to their first victories.

Damian Hardwick's first win as Richmond coach came against Port Adelaide. I can still remember the enthusiastic rendition of the Tigers' theme song in the change rooms at AAMI Stadium (undoubtedly the best theme song in the competition). It looked as though 22 drunken Irishmen had just kissed the Blarney Stone.

As I witnessed another rousing rendition of the song last Friday night, I started wondering whether the unbridled joy of the Richmond players was a good thing? After all, they currently sit 10th on the ladder. Despite two impressive victories, they still have a long way to go. They have few injuries at present and appear to be at the peak of their powers. However, round ten isn't necessarily the best time of year to peak. There will inevitably be a form trough and injuries. Imagine if Cotchin, Riewoldt or Deledio goes down? Furthermore, although last Friday night's match was a humdinger, there's no way Richmond will be permitted to play with such fluency at the pointy end of the season. Simply making the eight in 2012 would be a fantastic effort for the yellow and black.

You can often identify a great football team by the subdued nature of their theme song. In 2000 Essendon stopped singing their song altogether after victories. It was an interesting decision. They only wanted to sing it once they had earned the right to. In the end they well and truly earned the right.

Like a raving vagrant in the city, there's no point trying to make Richmond adhere to convention. What propels the club forward (and sometimes backwards) is that depraved quality that Jumping Jack and Matthew Richardson possess in spades. When there is hope it is a little frightening for the rest of us.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/6610-risking-head-and-skin-for-destination-tigerland

tony_montana

Re: Risking head and skin for destination Tigerland (BPL)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
stuff off idiot, yeah richmond, players and fans alike are all a bunch of peabrain douchebags who are that dumb they dont realise we are sitting 10th and still outsiders for a flag, nah we expect to be in the mix for a flag immediately. Bit deeper than that stuffwit

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
It's shin not skin.

Who does Murray Middleton follow?

;D

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
So we are not allowed to sing the song with exuberance because we are sitting 10th and have proved nothing.

What a load of garbage.  It's mates celebrating a tough win with each other.  They have a strong bond and should rightly be allowed to celebrate the fruits of victory.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
There will plenty of this from opposition supporters from now on.

'Jumping on the bandwagon are we?!'
'When you make the Grandfinal we'll talk!'
'Don't worry you'll implode and finish 9th like you always do'
etc, etc

I say go for it and try and stick the boots in why you can because soon the shoe will be on the other foot and what a big foot it will be.... :P

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »

etc, etc

I say go for it and try and stick the boots in why you can because soon the shoe will be on the other foot and what a big foot it will be.... :P

aaaah i have been copping it for a month already. It usually comes from opposing club supporters who hardly go to many games and don't even have a membership for their respective club.

i long the for the day when i can wave those pathetic Essendon and Carlton supporters at 3 quarter time as they depart the G against us.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
New footy fans. Have been fans since 2002 and have no idea on the history or demographics of the game. Stuff them and their lack of footy education.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »

etc, etc

aaaah i have been copping it for a month already. It usually comes from opposing club supporters who hardly go to many games and don't even have a membership for their respective club.

i long the for the day when i can wave those pathetic Essendon and Carlton supporters at 3 quarter time as they depart the G against us.

My scarf will be flinging wildly above my head next time we smack the Bummers. Pack of knobs.