Author Topic: Opportunity knocks for Knobel  (Read 768 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Opportunity knocks for Knobel
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:36:08 AM »
Opportunity knocks for Knobel
Michael Gleeson
The Age
February 7, 2007

TRENT Knobel has spent a career on the fringe of AFL football. Unable to claim the No. 1 ruck position at either Richmond or St Kilda for an extended period, neither has he been able to be discounted.

A promising first year at Richmond in 2005 was followed by one to forget. When teammate Troy Simmonds broke an ankle a fortnight ago, the need for the ruckman to rediscover the form of his first year was thrown into sharper focus.

The club is still optimistic that its No. 1 ruckman will be available for round one of the home-and-away season on April 1, though doubtless he will be short of fitness.

The Simmonds injury became a bigger issue after Mark Coughlan had a season-ending knee injury that will require a second reconstruction. Suddenly, the pre-season that was going so well had lost two players in as many weeks.

Knobel thus has not only the opportunity, but the responsibility, to recapture the form of which he is capable.

"It does put a bit of pressure on me, but 'Simmo' is ahead of schedule. I think he should be right for round one, but obviously there is an opportunity to get myself back into the side in the NAB Cup," Knobel said yesterday.

"I think there was always a plan that Simmo and I could work well together in the ruck throughout the year and, hopefully, it can pan out that way.

"I … have had these sorts of years all throughout my career … I have never had that consistent senior football, so it is a very important year for me, yes. Am I looking forward to it? Yes. Am I worried about it? No. I just want to get out there and play senior football again.

"Hopefully, we can work together in whatever way works … I didn't get out there a lot last year, I just never really got started. I injured myself in a pre-season game, then had a lot of little niggly injuries and a bad ankle injury, which I had surgery on at the end of the year."

An unofficial part of Knobel's rehabilitation has been to get in the water. "The surfing is good," he said, "it is good physically. You get in water and you don't have a care in the world. I love it."

Coach Terry Wallace said yesterday: "Like every club, you just want to have a little bit of luck go on your side so you can get your best team out there.

"Realistically, we believe we are putting a good enough squad together and you just have to have depth. I think every club in the competition is that way …"

For Simmonds, that means Knobel stepping into the breach. For Coughlan, it puts pressure back on Dean Polo to sustain the bright form of the second half of last season. Similarly, Nathan Brown will be expected to resume the sorts of roles and form that put him in the elite bracket of the competition before he broke his leg in 2005.

"It is still a difficult situation for him (Brown)," Wallace said. "It probably took him six years — it wasn't one year — to get up to the form and the confidence and the fitness levels all at the one time to make him the player he was prior to the injury. I expect him to be a very good player for us. Whether he reaches the levels he was at before, we will wait and see.

"We have made no bones about what we are: a developing, improving team. I look around at the guys and they are a little bit stronger, a little bit more mature.

"Over the next few years, we have to sort of show something. The group knows that.

"We have come from a heck of a long way back. We have made ground, but we haven't got … inside the final eight yet, so we are only part way along the journey.

"(Fremantle) was around ninth two years in a row and then went bang, so when that comes, who knows? We all hope it comes round one and beyond, but whether it is this year or 12 months away, providing we keep improving … that is the main thing."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/06/1170524094911.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Opportunity knocks for Knobel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:51:12 AM »
Well if he can find the form that had him as the No.1 ruck tap then we should be in for a good year..... one would hope.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
The problem for Knobel is modern ruckmen need to do more than just the tapwork at centre bounces. They need other strings to their bow like being a tall ruck rover who gains possies himself and/or a third key forward. With Simmo we had that; with Knobel we won't. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:50:37 PM »
Can't we dangle a big carrot towards Stafford?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace leaves door open for Knobel effort (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 03:04:35 AM »
Wallace leaves door open for Knobel effort
08 February 2007   Herald-Sun
Bruce Matthews

NO ONE will be keener than Trent Knobel when he gets permission to join Richmond's practice-match program.

He knows he has to measure up to more than just his height, 204cm, this season -- particularly in the ruck contests, following Greg Stafford's retirement and Troy Simmonds' broken ankle.

"It's a big year personally and I've got to perform, be competitive," Knobel said.

"I haven't had a lot of continuity in my game over the last couple of years."

Knobel, on a one-year contract for his third season at Richmond, has trodden carefully after "a pretty ordinary" 2006 in which he played only three senior games.

He was among a group of senior players, including Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown, to sit out a practice match at Wonthaggi yesterday.

They trained before some of their younger teammates were let loose with players from VFL affiliate Coburg in a scratch match.

"I've been working hard on and off the track. I know the opportunity is there, I just have to take it," Knobel said.

"I never got started last year. There were a lot of little things after I fractured a bone in my leg in a pre-season game and then rolled an ankle through the season.

"I ended up having surgery at the end of the season.

"This pre-season has been pretty controlled. It has been modified to suit my needs so that I get through. I know there's a good opportunity there and I just want to get back to playing a good, competitive brand of football."

Coach Terry Wallace plans to give the former St Kilda ruckman plenty of early scope to shoulder the ruck duties.

"I see him as part of our future. But, in saying that, anyone who's coming out of contract is, I suppose, in a more pressured position," Wallace said.

"He had a very unfortunate year with injury and really didn't have the opportunity to show much at all. I thought he was terrific the year before.

"The main aim with Trent is to get his body right, so he can get back to playing with a bit of continuity and form."

Knobel, 26, missed only one game of 25 in his last year with the Saints, and he's striving to return to the consistency that saw him play 18 games in 2005 with the Tigers.

"Like Terry says every pre-season, every spot is up for grabs. It's just who takes them," Knobel said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21189335%255E19742,00.html